General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HRM question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-26 11:34 AM

Subject: HRM question
Does anyone use their HRM during a race? I'm thinking about it and it seems fairly logical except: 1. Wearing it in the water even with a wetsuit on seems difficult, and 2. having to "worry" about the strap while you are racing. Anyone else thought about this?

2004-04-26 2:47 PM
in reply to: #21369

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: HRM question
Why do you want to wear it? I would think that you are just going to go "all out" during the race, and then it doesn't matter what your HR is - Unless you are using it to keep your HR at a particular point so that you can get through the race.

Maybe there is a reason for wearing it that I just don't know about?
2004-04-26 3:36 PM

That's what I was wondering. I guess I'm just funny that way. For some reason, I was thinking, if I used the HRM then I would know that I'm "going all out" or if I'm below my target HR.
2004-04-26 5:12 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

ahhh...listen to your body on race day...perceive your exertion...

i have heard that many who train with one will axe them come race day.

2004-04-26 5:20 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
In my opinion, if you've trained w/a hrm and your distance is olympic, or longer, it would be a great idea to wear your hrm. Many coaches recommend wearing it during the race because percieved excertion is not indicative of what is going on internally at all times. For instance, during your run, if you know you're a few beats under your max hr, the hrm will allow you to increase your excertion confidently, and not worry about "blowing up." Also, many of the top pros wear hrms when racing..what's good enough for them, is surely good enough for you.
2004-04-26 6:48 PM

User image

Veteran
, Zurich
Just to confuse things even more :-) ....

I think it's a great idea for you to wear your HRM during the race, but listen to your RPE (Rate of Perceived Exertion). Many charts for RPE on the BT site and the net. Awareness of RPE will tell you exactly how hard you are working. The reason I advocate wearing the HRM is for later reference for future races--not this one.

Your HR during a race may be different than what you observe in training due to race stress, so don't necessarily follow training numbers. (For a practical example, think about what your HR is before heading out for a normal training run and compare it with the number you see just before the gun goes off at a race). Record data from your race, compare it with how hard you felt you were going and use the information for future races and compare with training numbers.

Use every tool at your disposal, but know the strengths and limitations of each tool....

Have a great race,
Scott

2004-04-26 8:31 PM

User image

NW Suburbs of Chicago
I am on the fence as to whether I will wear it to race or not.
I plan on wearing mine for my first sprint race in June (a "B" race) to test it and will go from there....

2004-04-26 8:48 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
My vote is to go without. Listen to your body and push yourself. Wear your watch to monitor your splits on the run so you can help pace yourself. I don't think your HRM will do you much good unless you have spent a fair amount of time training at race(all out) pace to know just exactly where you heart rate is. Jjust my $.02
2004-04-26 10:47 PM

Veteran
Keller, TX

At the sprint I did a couple of weeks ago, some folks were wearing them.  One poor sole lost theirs in the pool.  I think whether or not to wear it depends on how in touch you are with your body.  If you can just tell you are at 150 bpm and you look at your HRM and it says 150 bpm, you probably don't need it on race day.  Me, I like feedback.  I figure that if I feel like I'm sucking wind but my HRM says I'm still below threshold, I can step it up and probably should - just to see if I can overcome the sluggishness or if my day is not going to be all it could be.  Same way, if I feel really good early on in the event and my heartrate is sky high, I may want to know that so I can dial it down a bit.

I think it just depends on how your feedback loop works.

Rock Chalk!

TB

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HRM question Rss Feed