General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First race next Sunday.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-26 3:27 PM

User image

Expert
England
Subject: First race next Sunday....

....and now beginning to get a bit nervous!

I've been a little slack in the last 4 weeks due to work commitments, travel ......and well, being a little slack! Its a sprint (400m/20km/5km) and I know I have the endurance but have not really done any speed training yet.

Any tips for getting the best out of my last week? I plan a swim tonight and then probably a low intensity hour run and a 20km cycle over the next few days with a couple of days off before the event - would this be right? What should I be preparing kit wise as I know I'll forget something if I don't get a list together.

Thanks

2004-04-26 3:38 PM
in reply to: #21424

Subject: RE: First race next Sunday....
My advice would be not to do the Speed work. It seems like all the major books and mags on Triathlon are against it unless you have 1-2 months prior to your race. It's really easy I guess to injure yourself when you do intervals etc. Besides, this first tri on Sunday (like mine) will be to gauge the progress you've made so far and to set new goals right?
2004-04-26 3:58 PM
in reply to: #21424

User image

Expert
England
Subject: RE: First race next Sunday....

You're right - I wasn't thinking speedwork this week. I have 2 more sprint tris planned in the summer and a half marathon in mid Sept, so was planning to add some fartleks/hills sessions each week while keeping on building endurance. I also just challenged myself to a 54 mile cycle for charity in mid June so hope that working towards each event through the summer will help build overall fitness and benefit me in the longer term. I'd like to find out what I enjoy the most and then focus more on that event eg variety of tri's and longer distances or just running? I can't see long distance cycling in my future unless part of a longer tri but have just bought another MTB to try and have some off-road cycling fun instead.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First race next Sunday.... Rss Feed