General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Time line question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-26 4:12 PM

Albany, NY
Subject: Time line question
Hey guys and girls, I’m a little worried. The tri that I want to complete is on July 18. Is this really enough time to train for my first sprint tri. I want to use the program from couch to sprint, (swim focused cause that my weakness) but it’s 4 months long.

First question, is this enough time to train for my first tri ?
Second question, what should I do to make the adjustment to the training program?

P.S. I’m going to my YMCA today to see about a masters swim program.

Thanks in advance

2004-04-26 4:46 PM
in reply to: #21440

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: RE: Time line question
How far/long can you run right now?

If you can already run awhile, you can move up in your training to that point. In other words, when I started the run program, I started halfway through because I was already in decent health. I did not need to walk 27 minutes and only run 3 minutes starting out. I started at 15 run/15 walk and found that pretty easy so I progressed quickly from there to being able to run 30 - 45 min straight in about 4 weeks.

So, if you can skip ahead there, and depending on how it goes in the other two areas, you could probably make it.

2004-04-26 5:00 PM
in reply to: #21445

Albany, NY
Whit thanks for the response. I can run for about 25-30 minutes at a clip. The distance I'm not sure about cause I run through a hilly park. I'm planning on going to a track or hopping on a treadmill at the gym, but I prefer running outside.

So do you think I could start on Month 2? I can ride a bike for at least 30 minutes and run for 30 minutes, it's just the swim part that worries me.
2004-04-26 5:01 PM
in reply to: #21440

User image

Champion
Gold member

yes, if u feel u are fit enough to start later in the program, than by all means do so...u should have no problems ramping up the swim or bike...but if running is your shortfall, dont push it, walk if needed.

yeah...month 2 should be no problem for ya...just rest between your laps when needed for about 30 sec or do an easy stroke...you will be amazed at how all of a sudden you will gain endurenace.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Time line question Rss Feed