General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Started with triathlon training, but still have cold Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-12-12 3:33 AM

Subject: Started with triathlon training, but still have cold
I have decided to run my first triathlon in July next year. Previously, I did some sport activities 2-3 times a week (for at least 2 years, bike, swimming, running, gym) and I had no health problems. Now I go swimming 2-3, running 1-2, spinning 1 and to gym 1 a week, and I am still cold and cannot get rid of it. Could I be overtrained? How to avoid these problems? I consult my doctor, and she said that I had weak imunity... Do you think, I should continue in training despite of it? I had 3weeks rest, but it did not help.

Edited by Dituska 2005-12-12 3:36 AM

2005-12-12 7:49 AM
in reply to: #303491

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Started with triathlon training, but still have cold
Diet, rest, intensity of workouts, etc.

All can have a big impact on recovery and weakened immunity. If it were me, I'd take a look at each of those things and see if there are any overiding issues that need to be looked into.
2005-12-13 12:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
MN
Just don't get mono or something like that. Sleep seems to be my key. I always seem to have a cold(I don't sleep more than 6 hours). I would never train if I waited around to be healthy (colds, rotator, knee, alergies (alergic to hard work).
2005-12-13 9:57 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

You cannot train all at once, and you cannot rest all at once.

You need to have rest and/or recovery days built into your training. Recovery is the companion of training, like elimination is the companion of eating.

Still, if you are still sick after 3 weeks of rest, something else may be going on. "Weak immunity"  is a pretty vague diagnosis

2005-12-14 5:39 AM
in reply to: #304446

I went to the doctor, but they didn't find anything but an inflammation (what may be weakened imunity, they said) and it had already gone... Then they said I'm O.K., but I don't feel so... But my blood and other tests are all right.
I have 2 days free in week and one or two days doubled activity. But It's true I haven't got enough sleep from Monday to Friday, when I go for work.

Thank you.
2005-12-14 8:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Tuscaloosa, AL
Dituska, I know how you are feeling and it probably comes from sleep habits. I used to never get sick until an accident that put me out of work for 8 weeks. It completely screwed up my sleep patterns and I constantly battle a cold. It seems like I get one every 2-3 weeks now. I just went to a sleep Dr last week and am working on getting my sleep back in shape. It's only been a week but I now realize the fog I have been in for about 2 years. Like I said it's only been a week but I am feeling better every day and have feel like I am getting my life back.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Started with triathlon training, but still have cold Rss Feed