General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ...and down she went with a "thud" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-27 1:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest
Subject: ...and down she went with a "thud"
Yup, I am no longer a bike virgin. Took my first spill today. Fortunately it was at a low speed AWAY from traffic. I just toppled right over, right there, bam, thud. Yeah, very very graceful. Sustained a minor scrape on my knee and shoulder (beautiful day so I was in shorts). Sure makes you glad you're wearing a helmet when the pavement is coming straight at your face at a pretty good clip!

2004-04-27 8:21 AM
in reply to: #21517

Veteran
South Orange, NJ
Subject: RE: ...and down she went with a "thud"
Glad you are ok. I have yet to experience this but find it very hard to imagine. I suspect that when that pavement is suddenly coming up to meet you it can be very scary. Take care of your scrapes and I'm sure you'll be back in the saddle in no time.
2004-04-27 8:22 AM

Champion
Awww, Tory at least you didn't wreck that beautiful smile. Sorry to hear about the crash, but at least now you got it over with. They say that there are 2 kinds of bike riders...those that have crashed and those that will crash. At it's behind you now and you have the same badges of experience that a lot of us have had! You know, sometimes the worst part of it is when you crash in front of a lot of people, then the embarrassment hurts more than the bruises! Hang in there, it's all part of being a triathlete!

Max
2004-04-27 8:36 AM

Hammond, La

In the old days when we wore cleats, spills were inevitable, nothing like pulling up to a stop sign only to realize that you hadn't released your straps to take your foot out of the traps and over you went, BAM, what was worse was your pride cause you looked like an idiot or drunk or both. everyone does it some worse than others.

Good riding and let go of the fear of falling.

NOGILLS

2004-04-27 9:12 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
I'm so sorry you dumped, but I'm glad you're okay. Check your helmet to make sure it's still in good shape, please. I know I'm a nag, but.... I can't help it. It won't help you on the next fall, if it's damaged.

Andrea
2004-04-27 9:20 AM

User image

Veteran
New Orleans, LA / Lafayette, LA
Ahh! Sorry about the spill! At least you weren't around traffic, though, like you said. And don't feel too embarasses, I'm sure a lot of people could tell lots of stories of their little mishaps. I, for one, am a regular in that department. Hello blushing cheeks! Therefore, I will do a lot of practicing with my clipless pedals BEFORE my race. If I fall I want to fall when no one is around! (at least the first time)

2004-04-27 10:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dorset
dont worry i did exactly the same thing 2 weeks ago (when i started riding), i was all 'this should be easy' then over i went within about 1/2 a foot. but don't worry it gets easier very quickly. i promise....
2004-04-27 10:53 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Welcome to the club. I haven't had my obligatory fall yet this year...but I will! :-)
2004-04-28 1:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest

Thanks all! I appreciate the support in my idiocy! Fortunately my head did NOT hit the pavement, so my helmet is fine. I actually had lots of traffic going by, so yippee skippy everyone in town drove by and saw me kissing pavement. I did my best "Mary Katherine Gallagher" and jumped up shouting "Superstar!" and laughing at myself. I did look around for sympathy from my husband, but he was long gone! He had decided to take a short cut to get ahead of me. (I ride much faster than he does so he decided this time to get ahead of me.) That gave me some good "guilt" points to redeem at a later time. "There I was lying, nigh unto death, bleeding on the sidewalk and you were racing home without me. Oh woe! Oh woe!"

Fortunately as a high school teacher, I am used to making an a$$ of myself in front of an audience. (Such as yesterday morning when I actually somehow managed to lose track of time, leave an HOUR early, and then had to call around to find out why my class wasn't there. Duh, I was not supposed to be there yet! Of course the teacher I called shared my idiocy with her class, so all day the kids were asking me what time it was.)

Fool thy name is Tory.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ...and down she went with a "thud" Rss Feed