General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best newbie trisuit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-27 9:25 AM

New user

Subject: Best newbie trisuit?
I'm running in my first triathlon (between a sprint and olympic distance) in August, and I'm trying to figure out what's the best trisuit out there for my needs, which are:

800 meter swim in Lake Michigan on the 1st of August (don't think I'm going to buy a wetsuit right now)

18 mile bike (very wimpy and like padding)

5K run (need something with a built-in-bra)

I was looking at the TYR aluminum trisuit, but then saw the Orca one, and now I'm confused. Any suggestions?

2004-04-28 7:09 PM
in reply to: #21544

User image

Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: Best newbie trisuit?
For your needs as listed in your post, here are my suggestions...[I am writing under the assumption that you are talking about a one-piece trisuit]

Swim - All Trisuits are made to dry rather quickly, so you shouldn't see much of an issue here as long as the suit fits tight. I will say that the Orca clothing [more so in the Elite line] is made specifically to glide through the water with less resistance than most clothing. This is why most ITU [pro] athletes and other athletes in swims where wetsuits are illegal will wear the Orca line of clothing. You will, however, pay more a good amount for the Elite line of Orca.

Bike - All trisuits have padding in the shorts. This is a chamois pad that is made to dry quickly, so no problem here.

Run - If you want a trisuit with a built-in bra, then I would suggest Zoot [see link below]. This is suit has a built-in bra. The TYR and Orca Trisuits only have a lining in them and the suit fits tight. If you need the support up top, then one option that you have is to wear a non-cotton [will absorb water] sports bra underneath the trisuit. Your also have the option of going with a two-piece set-up with Tri Shorts and a Tri Top. A lot of the Tri Tops have a lot more support than the one-piece trisuits.

http://www.trisports.com/zospwotriras1.html

Hope this wasn't too confusing. With tri clothing you have a lot to choose from and lots of choices to make. You are on the right track with knowing what features you need. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

NIK
2004-04-29 9:00 AM

New user

Thanks for the input! After doing some research, it looks like the lake temp will be colder than previously thought (and most likely beyond my puny ability to withstand), and so I'll be getting a wetsuit, which opens my clothing possibilities up tremendously.
I think the Orca one's the way I'm going, though. So thanks again!
Del
2004-04-29 12:34 PM

User image

Tucson, AZ
Sure, no problem. I thought that a Lake Michigan swim sounded cold. Best of luck with your race.

NIK
2004-04-29 12:52 PM

Champion
I have the Tyr suit. I have not used it during a swimming leg yet, but it's very comfy for biking and running. The pad is sufficiently comfortable on the bike to last at least 50 miles, or a 1/2 Ironman distance. I'm very happy with it so far.

Max
2004-04-29 12:56 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Even if you wear a wetsuit for the swim, you will still need a tri suit for the cycle/run legs. If you wear your trisuit underneath your wetsuit, that will save you some amount of time in the transition area. The water in the lake may be cold, but the temperature in August will be quite warm so that a wet trisuit will not be too bothersome...and it will dry off quickly anyways.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best newbie trisuit? Rss Feed