General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Brand new Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-27 2:13 PM

Subject: Brand new
I am brand new at officially training. I have been inspired by a co-worker who just ran the Boston Marathon. I've very competitive but after a few accidents riding horses and things of that nature, I got cold feet. I have been cycling and swimming on an irregular basis and have decided to buckle down and try a sprint in July. I have a great schedule but I'm nervous because it is an open water swim. I've been in the ocean my whole life, but I live down here in Jacksonville, FL and people die all the time from run outs. I don't swim in the ocean much anymore because of it. I'm doing this for two reasons, one so I can say that I did, two is so that I can say that I can get the t-shirt without my sister or a friend passing it on.

Any support and encouragement is more than welcome.

2004-04-27 2:15 PM
in reply to: #21597

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Brand new
Welcome!

You'll be fine on the swim as long as you practice! Good luck in your event!
2004-04-27 2:19 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Welcome to the site! Good luck with your training. It sounds like you have a pretty good base to start from which always helps!

I don't mind looking dumb on this site, so I'll ask: What's a run out? Where a person swims out too far and runs out of energy to swim back?

Kelly
2004-04-27 2:31 PM
in reply to: #21600

Not a dumb question at all. It is more commonly known as a rip tide, where the water runs out in channels and the current is strong so it is hard to swim out of it. They tell you to swim paralle to shore until the run out ends (typically 1/5 mile off shore). Most people get caught in these and then panic, then they drown. It's terrible I know, but its on the news down here every day about someone missing offshore or something like that. I know I will be fine and I am looking forward to it. I have committed a few friends to do a couple of open water swims with me to get used to it again.
2004-04-27 2:36 PM
in reply to: #21598

Thanks so much! I have to be careful of not burning myself out. I'm a huge Type-A personality and tend to start strong and finish dragging. I really want to pace myself and do this right. I am hoping I will enjoy it tremendously and be able to continue onto another event.
2004-04-27 2:50 PM

User image

Aracaju - Brazil
hey ckupper...
just go slowly getting used to open water swimming ´cause it is frightening sometimes...
for your first sprint tri just remember that finishing is your objective...and it depends on you, you are there (racing) because you want to do it ... go slow on the swimming, steady on the bike and save everything for the run - good luck and hope you get the tri bug as i did...

2004-04-27 9:02 PM

Veteran
Keller, TX

Welcome to the site.  Encouragement abounds here.  You're gonna do great!

TB

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Brand new Rss Feed