General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming problem (?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-27 4:09 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: Swimming problem (?)
I'm having some serious issues with this swimming stuff. I can run 4 miles, no problems. I can bike 21 miles, no problems. I don't have a HRM (yet), but everything 'feels' right. I hop in the pool, and my heart rate soars within 25-50 yards. One full lap, and I feel like crap!

I always watch the others in the pool: I try to emulate their style, when it seems efficient. I typically only breathe on my right. My arms enter at midline (or very close), I stretch forward, exhale through mouth and nose, reach back as far as possible, try to touch my thumb to my leg (to minimize drag), etc. In other words, I try to do everything I can think of, but I still feel like my HR is WAY too high. I'm not trying to speed my way through, but if I try to consciously slow the pace, I feel like I'm not moving at all. I'm open to any suggestions. (But before I find a master's swim group, apparently the guy running the master's swim at my rec center did something slightly illegal and may have fled to South America, and I'd really like to be able to at least swim 100 yards without stopping before I join a group.)

2004-04-27 4:21 PM
in reply to: #21615

Veteran
Keller, TX
Subject: RE: Swimming problem (?)

Slow down . . . I know when I first started to swim for the triathlon, I swam like I did when I was a kid - full out, fast as I could.  Felt like my chest was going to explode.

I just tried to slowdown.  Concentrate on really extending your reach.  Glide for a second or two before taking that next stroke.  I think if you do that, you will be able to settle into a groove a little easier.  I read an article that said you have to swim slower before you can swim faster - I believe it.

Triswimcoach.com - he has some good info and ideas as well.  He may even respond to this thread - he checks our boards.

Good luck.

TB

2004-04-27 4:49 PM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Joe, I think I was where you are several weeks ago... Let me share my recent experience. I am working towards swimming 800 meters without stopping. I started with swimming 16X50 6 weeks ago. Last Thursday, I did 800 in 6 sets: 200-150-100-150-100-100 and it totally sucked. I consistently out of breath the whole time. I tried again to do the same set on Sunday, but lost my nerve after swimming the first 100 meters. I stopped and tried to gain my breathe before doing 4X100. They were all extremely difficult - I was even starting to feel little needles on my tongue! After contemplating quitting, I decided to try to swim the rest of the set as relaxed as possible, with the thought that the water was there to help me, not that I was trying to overpower the water. Also, I focused on breathing out steadily underwater, as opposed to holding my breathe for a second, then blowing out hard right before I turn to take a breath. Whaddya know if I swam the second half as 150-100-150, with each of those feeling easier than the first four 100's! Then, this morning, I swam 4X200, with the same swim thoughts, and it was so easy that I added another 200 just for kicks!

So yeah, the point I am making is that you have to stop trying so hard and fighting against the water. I would recommend the TI books and DVD's to help you with drills and proper technique, but you have to take it easy, easy, easy.
2004-04-27 5:35 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
I feel your pain! Swimming is harder than it looks and is harder than just bopping around the pool or lake on a saturday. I spent quite a bit of time in my own backyard pool before I could relax and learn to breathe for a 1/4 mile swim! I thought that by living on cape cod and swimming in ocean all my life would suffice, wrong!!! The main thing is to just spent lots of time in the water doing whatever and of course swimming. Once you get comfortable and relax, spend time learning to exhale under water and breathing out of the water on every stroke. This will take time, but you have to be calm and know you can breathe when you want to before anything else will come. Next is to just slowly swim by pulling instead trying to kick your way across the pool. Kicking uses energy up, use the arms , lat muscles and hands to stroke easily across the pool. I mistakenly thought that I could POWER my way to a swim, instead I learned from others that it is more being streamlined and using efficient movements than pure muscle power.
Most of all, dont be afraid to emulate others, ask those who do it well how they do it, go to a clinic to ;learn good technique and practice, practice and practice. Oh, also, a cheap anykind of wetsuit ( dont' worry about tri wetsuits now, just any kind will do to help float, just make sure it is not too tight in the arms)will help you feel comfortable in the water since you wont be able to sink and drown in a wetsuit. good luck and most of all have fun
2004-04-27 8:43 PM

Veteran
Keller, TX

Thought of something else that helped me out - use a pull buoy, the floaty thing you hold between your legs.  It makes your legs more buoyant so you don't feel like you are dragging them and lets you concentrate on your stroke.

I tire out really quick when I get concerned about my kick - the pull buoy lets you focus on just one part of the exercise. 

TB

2004-04-28 11:49 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Joe, you are normal! (TBO thanks for the plug!)
Swimming is a different ballgame.
Getting your technique down will be all-important to getting your heart rate down.
Learn some drills from a coach (preferably one that abides by the laws!) Feel free to use fins- they are very helpful in swimming when learning new things. I prefer Zoomers or Hydrofinz. The fins will allow you to forget about your kick while learning, and also improve your ankle flexibility.
For more, check out my website and sign up for the free newsletter! www.triswimcoach.com

Good luck,
Kevin

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming problem (?) Rss Feed