General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM long run length and frequency Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-12-17 9:43 PM

Subject: IM long run length and frequency
I Completed a marathon this fall and completed 2 - 3 hr runs during training. While training for an IM how long should your longest runs be and how many? Or should it be more a consistency thing by doing 5 -6 2:30 hr runs? Supplemented w/ runs during week. I was thinking about running at least 5 times a week. 1 long(2-3hr), 1 kind of long(1:15-1:45), 1 w/inserted pick up and strides(1 hr), 1 short trans 20-30min after short bike 45min, Trans(45min) after long bike. Of course building to these numbers. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

2005-12-18 2:25 PM
in reply to: #307694

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
Subject: RE: IM long run length and frequency
I'll be eager to hear what other more experienced BT'ers say, but my initial thought is that 5 runs per week while IM training is run overkill. I think that yes it's important to get a long run in, and a brick (which isn't really a long run, but an important element of the race to train for) and probably a medium tempo-type run (say 5-8 miles long). For an IM, especially if this is your first (your post didn't say, but I'm assuming), you are probably not going to be focusing on speed for your marathon leg..... so that stride run isn't as important and or just pop a few strides in at the end of your tempo run. 112 mile on the bike is a LONG time/way..... I think that you'll be best served to spend some of those run hours on the bike. (Of course, I'm assuming you're working full time or something--and am wondering how you'll get the bike hours in, but if that's not the case, never mind my comment.)

Anyhoo, I'm going to be training for my first IM next year (IMFL--yay), so take my advice with a grain of salt! Good luck regardless!
2005-12-18 5:12 PM

This is my first IM. I am in a unique situation where I can fit work around IM training this year(IMLP). I was planning to follow Iron fit program w/some adjustmants. The following would be my schedule.

Monday- swim,run(kind a long )
tues- swim, bike
wens- long bike/trans run
thurs- swim, run(kinda long w/inserted strides)
fri- short bike,short run brick(45 bike,30 run)
sat- short spin on bike(30-45min) ,long run

Maybe instead of bike run on FRI, just a longer bike, might be easier on the legs.
2005-12-18 7:01 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago

it really depends on your athletic background.

My friend fiona continued to run everyday during her IM training while I was lucky to get in 3 runs a week....

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM long run length and frequency Rss Feed