General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Intimidating Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-28 9:22 AM

Albany, NY
Subject: Intimidating
Hey guys I’m looking for a little support today. I went to a masters swim class last night and was blown away by the amount of work that I need to do. I went from feeling like I was in decent shape to completely feeling ashamed for even considering the masters swim class. The class was small (about 10 people) but there were a few tri-athletes in the class that were very impressive. At this point I’m not sure what to do. Should I try and train on my own a little bit before I go to the masters swim again (I could barely finish the warm up) or should I just suck it up do what I can, an hope that I will learn a few things in the masters program. Yesterday was very intimidating and a real kick in the b*lls.

Chris

2004-04-28 9:26 AM
in reply to: #21690

User image

Extreme Veteran
PR
Subject: RE: Intimidating
What is a master swim class??

Pardon my ignorance.... :-O
2004-04-28 9:37 AM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
There is no shame in being a beginner. If the attitude of the coach and the others in the class is to help you reach a higher level of swimming, and they are willing to offer encouragement and tips along the way, then keep going. However, if the others in the class are actively condescending to you and your ability and they let you know that you are wasting your time, then stop... but I doubt that is the case.

Look, the best way to improve yourself in anything is to surround yourself with those that are better than you. Swimming, running, playing guitar, golf, tiddly-winks, whatever.
2004-04-28 9:41 AM

Veteran
Keller, TX
Good advice, Tiger Phil.  I agree completely!
2004-04-28 9:51 AM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Dear Duck: Let the intimidation roll off your back like water off a duck! I picked up with a masters class in January and thought I was gonna die in the middle of the 4th length. Last nite I swam 2,500 yards, including the main set of 1,000 yards non stop. I was a diver in high school, not a swimmer, and did no swimming in college. My time in the pool these last many years has been throwing my kids around in the water. You can do it, just do it regularly. (I've been swimming about 3 times a week since January and didn't feel strong until the end of March.) In my masters class, we seemed to have a sort of natural breakout of slow and fast swimmers. I swam with people of my speed to start with, which is much less intimidating. Now I'm leading off in the triathlete lane. Trust me, my friend, your stroke and endurance are inside waiting to come out. Good luck!
2004-04-28 10:40 AM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
I agree with Tiger Phil...great advice.

Look at it as a challenge. Watch the good swimmers and work to get to that level...have a little fun and competition with yourself. And I agree, most likely it's a supportive class and they ALL started out where you're at.

go for it!

2004-04-28 10:49 AM

Albany, NY
Tiger Phil and triman50 thank you so much for your encouragement and advice. The swimmers in the class didn’t seem to be condescending, but how would I know with my head in the water. But you do make a valid point, one that I have lived by in the past (but must of forgotten). If you want to improve yourself you must challenge yourself. Surround yourself with people that are better then you and you will play up to the competition. Thank you for reminding me of that.

Triman your story was great (I almost welled up) and exactly what I want to happen. I want to start off in the slow lane and move into leading the tri groups. This has now become a goal. I can’t thank you both enough for you words. I have printed them out and posted them around my desk so I don’t forget or get discouraged so easily again. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU….

Chris
2004-04-28 11:34 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Duckey,
Your experience with Masters as a triathlete is pretty typical.
Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of masters programs out there designed to help the beginner (the reason why I started Tri Swim Coach!).
The worst thing is to jump in and start trying to make intervals that are over your current abilities. Technique is where you want to begin! Find a coach and sign up for a clinic or a few one-on-one sessions. There are some qualified coaches listed on my website at www.triswimcoach.com, as well as on totalimmersion.net.
Masters can be great for some people, but not good for others.
Do your own thing for a while and try again when you feel ready!

Good luck,
Kevin

2004-04-28 11:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
PR
Here I go again... What is Master Swim or Master Swim Class??

Thanks...
2004-04-28 11:44 AM
in reply to: #21727

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Charlie; a master's swim group typically consists of swimmers not on a high school/college swim team. They will have practices, and meets and possibly some beer-drinking afterwards.

2004-04-28 12:41 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Subject: RE:What are Masters
masters = old people who swim well !!! LOL
Our local Ys have Masters Teams- adult swimmers of varying age & abilities/backrounds who want to swim for fitness and or compete. Some are high school or college swim athletes who have "grown up" others are athletes from other disciplines with injuries who have "cross trained" to swimming- but many are simply adults who like to swim and want to improve their technique and/or endurance with like minded others. The coach is there to work with the "team" to reach their goals.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Intimidating Rss Feed