General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Building bike question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-12-19 2:02 PM

Indiana
Subject: Building bike question
Here is what I am trying to do. I just want to see if it is doable or not.

I would like to buy a new frameset and move the following from my old bike to the new frameset:
Wheels, componenets, handlebars, cranks, brakes, chain.

I am able to do minor repairs on my bike. I thought that this would be a good learning experience for me. I would just like to get some feedback to see if this is too much, or if it is just not technically possible to move these parts to a new frameset.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

2005-12-19 2:35 PM
in reply to: #308279

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Building bike question
Depends, what type of bike/frame do you have, and what are you looking to get?

Things like front derailleur mounts, rear wheel axle spacings (for really old bikes), threaded vs. threadless forks (for stem compatability) can all be affected by changing frames.

Some of the newer frames only have mounts to run either STI/Ergo shifting or bar shifters (the thingies on the front of the aero bars) and don't have mounts for downtube shifters.

As far as ability to do it?? Sure, anyone can do it with the right tools. You'll need special tools for pulling the crank and bb, and you'll want to replace every cable and housing on the bike as well as the bar wrap. But is entirely doable. Just be prepared because it will more than likely NOT be a direct change over unless your bike is newer and the frame is similar design.
2005-12-21 1:17 AM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
I agree with Daermo that it really depends.  A couple of years ago, I tried to move some components over from two MTBs and it was like a hit and miss, if things would fit or not.  If you don't have a repair book you are going to use, you can use this website as a guide.  It has a lot of info about bike maintenance and tools you might need.  Just click on the part of the bike which you want information on.  It's very detailed and I use it all the time.  http://parktool.com/repair/
2005-12-21 11:08 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

Any excuse to buy new tools is a good reason.

Like others have said, it should MOSTLY be a piece of cake, especially if both frames are newer.

There are a few areas of special consideration:

• headset removal and instalation requires a special tool that's pretty expensive and single purpose. I usually take my frames into the LBS to get headsets installed. Removing them is easier, and can be done carefully with more common tools (not reccommended procedure, but it can be done)
  • If one frame uses an intergrated headset and the other does not, you will have to buy a new headset.
  • Chances are that your bottom bracket threading is English on both frames, but an Italian frame can cause some consternation here
  • Different bottom bracket lengths between the two frames will mean buying a new bottom bracket.
  • Other areas where differences in frame dimensions can cause incompatability are: the seat post diameter,and the clamp diameter of the front deraileur
  • Steerer tube length is a consideration too, especially if the head tube on the donor bike is short. This will only be an issue if you are moving the fork from one bike to another.
  • Differences in chainstay length between the two frames can necessitate adjustments in chain length

What years and modesl of bikes are involved here?

2005-12-22 10:57 AM

Indiana
I'm taking parts from a 2003 Trek 2300 and want to put them on a Cervelo Soloist 2005 framset. The donor components are Shimano Ultegra. The frameset I'm looking at purchasing comes with a fork and headset. So I was thinking I would just have to transfer the stem and handlebars from the old bike.
2005-12-22 11:43 AM
in reply to: #310562

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

Sweet frame.

Well, the seatpost is a non-issue. I'm not sure about the front deraileur. The aero seattube on the Soloist may cause you a problem.. I am also not sure about the bottom bracket length. The stem, bars, shifters, brakes, wheelset, crank, rear deraileur, will work just fine. Front deraileurs and bottom brackets are not too expensive.

Edited by ride_like_u_stole_it 2005-12-22 11:44 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Building bike question Rss Feed