General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GET THEE TO A MASTER SWIMMING CLASS Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-28 12:06 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: GET THEE TO A MASTER SWIMMING CLASS
Ok folks. We have a fair amount of good runners and cyclists out there. But all of us buff athletes (OK maybe all of YOU buff athletes) seem to have one nemesis in this tri game - the swim. Now most of you know that I've been swimming all my life. Not scared of distance just not as fast as I want to be. My goal is 1/2 mile or 800 m in 12 min. Right now I'm doing 17-18 min. (Just in case you're wondering Olympic record is about 7 min!) So I've been training by myself, knocking the heck out of the pool for the last four months. I've managed to shave about 2 min off my swim time, but now I know it's just pure dumb luck. Thanks to Brian Shea one of my forum members I took his advice and decided to join a master's swimming group. This is the best decision I've made. Although I've only been to one class (I couldn't even finish all the drills, HELLO who the heck swims for 3500 m in 1:30?), the experience has been invaluable. It's given me a real taste of what a tri will be like. I swim in the same lane with about 5 other people who keep me honest, that is keep me swimming as fast as I can without slowing down to a lesiruely pace. In one day I've learned more than I've learned in my entire four months of swimming seriously. So my 2 cents - Get thee to a Master's Swimming Class. It will do wonders.

2004-04-28 2:54 PM
in reply to: #21733

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: GET THEE TO A MASTER SWIMMING CLASS
Ovetta,
Good idea!
I'm glad that you have found help and been able to see major improvements in your masters swim. Sounds like you have a good coach and a good group to train with!
I think a lot of people can also find this kind of success with masters.
But there are others that may find masters programs intimidating (another poster on this board I believe brought this up.)
One of the problems is that there are so many masters programs that cater to 1) the competitve swimmer, 2) the fitness swimmer, and 3) last in line, the triathlete. While the beginner triathlete may get a few stroke tips from the instructor/coach, often times it's so difficult to keep up with everyone else that you're spending your time going as fast as you can instead of implementing these tips, or learning new skills.
So I agreee, check out your local masters team but if that's not the best environment, find a coach or instructor to help!

Cheers,
Kevin
2004-04-28 2:57 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
5 people to a lane! Holy cow! As triswimcoach said about just swimming as fast as possible - do you feel like your form suffers at all? Was there any problem with taking a break?

I'm glad you found a good group!
2004-04-28 3:07 PM
in reply to: #21778

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
COgirl,
yes, good point. If you are just struggling to keep up, your form will suffer!
It's better to work on your skills in a slower lane before you move up the ladder.
With masters, there is rarely ever a problem with taking a break :-)

By the way, I apologize for adding an extra 'e' to the word "agree" in my last post! :-O

Edited by Tri Swim Coach 2004-04-28 3:08 PM
2004-04-28 3:16 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
No my form didn't suffer much. I have a good form and am able to keep it good for long periods. But I'm a lazy swimmer. I will swim slow everytime unless I have someone pushing me. And the group was great! They didn't mind me sitting out a couple of the hundreds. I when I did swim with them I was able to keep up so no one passed me! But it was a lot more reps than I was used to. I think Kevin is right - master's swim classes are not for everyone. Especially, if you're not comfortable in the water and still get a little anxious and if you can't swim without too many breaks. But it's reallly good for the intermmediate swimmer looking to move up the ladder.And this class is so wonderful because it has a one-on-one session with a coach who puts you in your own lane and watches your stroke and gives you tips.Ironically, today was "TRI DAY" so the distance was a lot longer than most days. The reason I like the Masters Swim Class is that it keeps me honest. It makes me swim fast but not faster than I can. Does that make sense?It can be a little intimidating but that's what we "Tri," for, right? But I wouldn't recommend the class for someone just starting out. But for people stuck in a rut with their swimming I think it will do wonders. I got my butt kicked today but I still can't wait to go back. Woo Hoo!
2004-04-28 3:23 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Sounds awesome Ovetta - maybe when I'm a better swimmer, I'll take the trip to the Springs and swim with you!

I'm starting a master's group soon and a friend of mine is the coach. I was worried that if I had to rest, that everyone would get mad that I was in the way - I guess it depends on the group!

2004-04-28 3:27 PM
in reply to: #21786

User image

Master
Chicago
Oh, Cogirl you can come swim with me anytime! I'm by no means a "fast," swimmer. Just proficient I guess. I sure got my butt kicked today! But the people were great. If you join a masters class just make sure you're in the right lane. The faster swimmers get a little annoyed if you slow them down but they aren't rude. Everyone saw me swimming since I was the new girl and I'm also black (a rare sight in a pool right ) so they came over and complimented me and gave me encouragement. They were very welcoming and that eased my bruised ego! Ovetta.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GET THEE TO A MASTER SWIMMING CLASS Rss Feed