General Discussion Triathlon Talk » It's fun to look back on the year! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-12-19 9:05 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Subject: It's fun to look back on the year!

As Christmas and New Years approach, I spent some time today looking back on a few of my posts/entries throughout the year, and I went back to my very first race report, the Charro Days Classic 1 mile fun run.  It is hilarious to read now, but at the time I was so proud to have actually run 1 whole mile.  In my report, I indicate that I hoped to be able to finish a sprint triathlon by April of 2006.  What a difference a few months on this site can make! 

My first sprint was May of this year instead of 2006, and it was followed by 5 more sprints, an oly, a 5k, a 10k, a duathlon, an 8 mile race, and hopefully my first half mary in four weeks and my first IM in 6 months.  I say none of this to brag.  I'm still slow and a solid BOPer, but I am just so thrilled to finally be active and setting a good example for my children, and I truly believe things wouldn't have turned out this way without the great friends I've found here.   

Just wanted to tell everyone Happy Holidays and thanks for being the best, most supportive group of folks anyone could find.  I have a long way to go in my fitness journey, but I have surpassed even my wildest imagination in less than a year, mostly due to this site and the people here.

If you have time, spend a few moments and go back to the point where you were truly at the very beginning of your tri journey, and take a look at just how far you've come...whether it be physically, mentally, or just the challenges you have overcome and the goals you have accomplished.  It is a fun exercise in self discovery!!  And for those of you who are at the very beginning now, take pride in knowing that you have begun a journey that is full of fun, adventure, and great reward, and you are doing so with the best online "support crew" anywhere...BT is a wonderful blessing!

2005-12-20 7:19 AM
in reply to: #308502

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: It's fun to look back on the year!

You know I wanted to do a "look back on your year" thread next week...you beat me too it so I'll write a short version and put full length in my log later.

In January I decided to get off my a** and start training again. My off season last year resulted in an extra 10lbs on top of 10 more I shouldn't have had to begin with. My marraige was over before Christmas so I decided to make this the year of me and what I wanted to do. I used my Christmas bonus to buy a bike in late Feb! I was on my way! Ran another marathon in March, cut 39 min off my 1st marathon time. Started losing weight....did my first "real" tri in April, followed by Gulf Coast 1/2 in May which was awesome....more tri's through the summer, a unfortunate drunken injury, another marathon, and iron training. 20+lbs lighter I'm feeling great and survive my first iron.

The steps along the way are what stick with me...enjoying bike rides of 60+ miles. Not being home at all on the weekends, esp. Sundays (long rides), getting up earlier than I would for work to get enough miles in...

The amazing people on this site who have kept me motivated and were prouder of me than my parents!

For 2006...take the season a little easier (umm..I'm going to try)...

2005-12-20 10:14 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-12-20 11:35 AM

Expert
New Orleans, LA
Subject: RE: It's fun to look back on the year!
OldAg92 - 2005-12-19 9:05 PM

As Christmas and New Years approach, I spent some time today looking back on a few of my posts/entries throughout the year, and I went back to my very first race report, the Charro Days Classic 1 mile fun run.  It is hilarious to read now, but at the time I was so proud to have actually run 1 whole mile.  In my report, I indicate that I hoped to be able to finish a sprint triathlon by April of 2006.  What a difference a few months on this site can make! 

My first sprint was May of this year instead of 2006, and it was followed by 5 more sprints, an oly, a 5k, a 10k, a duathlon, an 8 mile race, and hopefully my first half mary in four weeks and my first IM in 6 months.  I say none of this to brag.  I'm still slow and a solid BOPer, but I am just so thrilled to finally be active and setting a good example for my children, and I truly believe things wouldn't have turned out this way without the great friends I've found here.   

Just wanted to tell everyone Happy Holidays and thanks for being the best, most supportive group of folks anyone could find.  I have a long way to go in my fitness journey, but I have surpassed even my wildest imagination in less than a year, mostly due to this site and the people here.

If you have time, spend a few moments and go back to the point where you were truly at the very beginning of your tri journey, and take a look at just how far you've come...whether it be physically, mentally, or just the challenges you have overcome and the goals you have accomplished.  It is a fun exercise in self discovery!!  And for those of you who are at the very beginning now, take pride in knowing that you have begun a journey that is full of fun, adventure, and great reward, and you are doing so with the best online "support crew" anywhere...BT is a wonderful blessing!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » It's fun to look back on the year! Rss Feed