General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off-season weight gain -- iggh Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-12-21 10:34 PM

San Francisco East Bay (Pleasanton), CA
Subject: Off-season weight gain -- iggh
Well, I held it off until now, but here it comes. Gained 3 lbs. in last month. Doing the offseason training plan and still have my in-season appetite. I was doing good until now and should be grateful I kept it off that long.

I guess when you go from 4-5 hour bike rides on Sunday, 75 miles during the week of riding to and from work, 3 days of running one of which is 2 miles straight up, with 3 swims per week to this pretty low volume off-season life, this is what happens.

I have tried to and have succeeded in reducing intake, but not as much as I should obviously, because of the gain. Thing is, I don't think 3 lbs. is a huge amount but I can already feel the difference when I'm running and swimming, although not so much biking. I feel heavier and slower so it's affecting performance. Alas.

I read that on average folks gain 5 lbs. in the off-season so I'm over halfway to goal! :--(

Any others out there struggling with this?
--Kandice

2005-12-21 10:41 PM
in reply to: #310306

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Off-season weight gain -- iggh
Whasts a off season?? I am in week one of my HIM training... you will loose the 3-5 pounds as soon as you crank things back up after the first of the year...
2005-12-22 7:45 AM

User image

Chalk me up with a perfect 10 pounds. The off season for me is a perfect storm, last race and then slide into football season (also known as beer and quesadilla season) then thanksgiving rolls around add in a couple office Christmas parties and then oh yeah Christmas and New Years. I can't wait to get my boring life back.
2005-12-22 8:26 AM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
You're doing good - I haven't weighed myself in a couple of weeks 'cause I know I've gained some. Before Thanksgiving I was determined to eat better over the holidays, and then somebody set out the homemade goodies. Hopefully, I'll drop the weight when I start back running more consistently next week. Swimming has taken over my December. When is your offseason over?
2005-12-22 8:27 AM

Don't sweat the small stuff! Enjoy the off season keep an eye on your weight gain, which may be normal due to the reduce amount of tranining. Let your body recover and relax, continue to eat heathy& enjoy the holiday season. When spring training comes around those few pounds will melt away like butter in the CA sun.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off-season weight gain -- iggh Rss Feed