General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why Oh Why do we tri? Ramblings from a tri wannabe Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-28 10:14 PM

Veteran
Singapore
Subject: Why Oh Why do we tri? Ramblings from a tri wannabe
Below are just some ramblings from myself a tri wannabe.
Sometimes I wonder why I put the time and effort into myself through training for a tri.Age groupers like us will never turn pro and so there is no monetary incentive in doing this and neither would we become tops in the age group in our lifetime.
A typical schedule would be
run three times a week maybe more since I don,t have a bike and don't cycle
interval training
2*200m, 2*400m, 2*800m, 2*400m keeping at same speed throughput(trying to keep to 55sec for 200m but start to slack in the later part) and follow by other exercise or strength and endurance training such as pushup, dips, knee squats etc.
long runs
8 to 10km run follow by short 100m sprints at the end ...
Running is still alright for me although still can,t keep up with others at times.
swim twice a week maybe more
I am struggling to swim freestyle. although yes I have definitely improved a lot since joining a tri group but I still don,t breathe as easily and relaxed in the water as I want to. I would rather go for a 10km run anytime then to swim freestyle even for 200m..... No matter how tired I get from running I can always breathe freely but I just can,t do it in water exhaling breathing out when in water and breathing in only during the brief moment when my nose is out of the water.
Total mileage clocked each session can range from as low as 1500m to more than 2500m at times in the hope that all this will make me a better swimmer. And when it gets really unbearable I switched to breaststroke or back to my old bad habits of lifting the head high to catch more air and breathe easier....
Maybe we do it for fitness and health but there are lots of easier way to do so...Being jobless and unemployed maybe I do it for a alternative aim/objective in life since I,m now unemployable.
Every day in the news there are always people getting heart problems, high cholesterol and blood pressure,obesity due to our stressful, affluent and sedentary modern lifestyle.
"The highest rate of diabetics in the world belongs to Hong Kong with close to 12% of adult population(20-79) 1 out of every 10 adult Singaporean suffer from diabetics and 6 percent of all adult americans are diabetic"
What is it that make us want to subject ourselves to such training and putting ourselves through it. Is it because of the challenge or that it will make us a better man or a fitter person......to surpass one's limit and endure a higher threshold of pain....
I have always kept a positive altitude to training come rain or shine but I need some motivation here. Why Oh Why do we tri?

2004-04-29 3:04 AM
in reply to: #21862

Australia
Subject: RE: Why Oh Why do we tri? Ramblings from a tri wannabe
I signed my self up for a tri because I needed to have a goal. Over the last few years I've entered different races, some swimming, running, kayaking, cycling and some multisport relays and the main reason I do is because then you HAVE to train. There's nothing like the fear of failure to make you get off your butt and exercise!! I try and enter some sort of sporting event every month or 2 and it gives you motivation to keep getting exercising and getting fitter!! I'm never going to be an elite athlete or even win my age group - but I'm getting faster and fitter so I keep on trying!!
2004-04-29 7:27 AM

User image

Expert
Torrington,CT
At our age the self motivation and the ability just to "do it" is reason enough. I alway thought those Nike ads were wasted on the young. I've been involved in the running sport going on 8 years now. When I first started, I could barely run a mile--it was the walk/run thing. Now in my racing files there are two marathons. Yes, I didn't win in my age group, but I won for myself. Keep a positive attitude and you will see results. Setting goals to compete keeps us motivated, not only physically, but mentally. Doing the Tri seemed the next step. It works all the muscle groups and keeps you from overworking and injurying a specific group of muscles.
Another reason is I JUST LOVE THE RESULTS!!!!!
By the way, I'm 52 and just last year started placing in my age group in the 5K. Just goes to show you what a little hard work will provide.
JUST DO IT!!!
Evelyn
2004-04-29 8:09 AM

User image

Here is another reason. This article is a little dated. But I heard somthing about the positive effects of exercise and mental ability on the radio just the other day.

http://www.mercola.com/2001/mar/31/alzheimers.htm

2004-04-29 8:33 AM

User image

Master
I tri-train because I feel better when I do. It's that simple. I sleep better, I have more energy, I am more focused, I have more patience etc... Plus I am staying thin for the first time in 15 years. While it does take up some time, I have just eliminated some other less healthy activities to do it. (Read: almost no TV anymore)

Having a race picked out keeps me focused on what I need to do to get the results listed above. For me and my family it is a win-win situation. I feel better, and that makes me better able to do all the other things that I need to do.

That's my two cents at least. I am interested in seeing what others have to say on this topic.

Bill
2004-04-29 9:05 AM
in reply to: #21888

User image

Aracaju - Brazil
i could never agree more... we sleep better, produce better, in fact we become better people for the simple fact that not too many things are harder than an olympic triathlon in life (unless you are facing serious health diseases or the death of someone you love...)

so you become a better employee/husband/friend/son/partner, you name it...the flip side of this coin ...not too many things or subjects become interesting as your PR´s times, calories intake, cogs for your bike, a lighter bike, a better running shoe and .......... you (at least me) start seeing people as ... how can i put this...different, well that´s how i feel...

"the pain won´t last forever, the memories will"
train smart

2004-04-29 10:31 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Why? Well, I've weighed over 240 before, and looked better at 199. I started seriously running a couple of years ago, to offset eating chocolate, sitting in an office, etc. Today, I'm at 211. I can dance better and longer, without getting tired. I recently got a 'wild-hair' and decided to do a tri. Why tri? Most people don't; most people won't. I want to be one of those people that can say "I've done that".

I also have an issue with myself being overweight. My last boss gained about 25-30 pounds, sitting behind a desk the past two years. My paternal family tends to be overweight (and alcoholic). I want to live long enough to be a burden on the Bush daughters and Chelsea Clinton and Britney and the others. I WANT them to pay into SSI so I can get my check! In short, I want to be able to DO the things I want to do, not just dream about them when I'm older.
2004-04-29 1:53 PM

User image

New user

Boston, MA
I do it because it is FUN!!!

I love challenging myself. I feel better when I excercise, I get a high from it. I feel good about myself. I take pride in being in good shape and I love meeting people with similar interests and drive in their life. My mental health is much better when I am in training.

2004-04-29 1:54 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-04-29 10:26 PM

Hammond, La

I am doing this for several reasons. One is to prove to myself that I can. Two is because I can, just two years ago I could not, I could barely walk and suffering with cellulitus in left leg and grossly obeese at 449.4 pounds. also had sleep apnea, and hypertension. today NOMEDS and great health and 210.4 pounds are gone.

Use IT Or Lose IT!!!

NOGILLS

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why Oh Why do we tri? Ramblings from a tri wannabe Rss Feed