General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore today, what to do? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-29 10:51 AM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
Subject: Sore today, what to do?
On Tuesday, I started using the weight machines at the Y. I did all they had, started with low wieght doing 3 sets of 10 reps. My calves were kinda sore yesterday, but I jogged at lunch anyway. They did not ease up. After work I went to the Y again to do my first swim, I planned on swimming 400 yards, I ended up swimming 1760 yards , I did a whole mile plus som with a warm up and a cool down. Today my calves are very, very sore (shoulders a little sore), I am planning on running my regular 3 miles at lunch, or should I take today as a rest day to give my legs a chance for recovery?
Thanks
Joe

2004-04-29 11:01 AM
in reply to: #21924

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dorset
Subject: RE: Sore today, what to do?
were you warm before you started the weights and did you start with a light set? also did you stretch afterwards. This often happens the first few times you start weight trainning or when u start back after a long while. But it sounds like you have overdone it a bit, i would go for a nice slow run then have a good stretch when the muscles are really warm, unless you are in serious pain then STOP! i would just be careful not to overtrain, listen to your body (i have not before and i know how much it hurts. But seriously, i would go for a slow jog and good stretch, leave off the weights unless they are light.

Also about the gym, you don't want to do everything at once, break your days up (e.g. back and shoulders, tri biceps and chest and legs on their own maybe with soe cardio) and i would increase the reps especialy for legs. if you are interested i can tell you about what i do at the gym....or check my trainning diary, but its been a bit all over the place recently!
2004-04-29 12:54 PM
in reply to: #21928

User image

Master
I was not as warm as I should have been. I did stretch, but not nearly enough! I jogged a few hours before the gym. The wieght was very low, all but the one for the calves, it was higher than it should have been, and I new it. This was my first work out with wieghts (machines or free) in about 8 years, yesterday was also my first swim (doing laps, not just in with kids) in longer. So I definatly over did it. I will do a slow jog, if it doesnt feel good, it will be a walk!!!
Thanks
Joe
2004-04-29 4:18 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Drink more water. And then, drink more water.

Take it easy, do a "recovery" workout
2004-04-29 5:07 PM
in reply to: #21960

User image

Master
OK,
I jogged at lunch. I did the 3 miles in 35 min. This was slower than usual. My legs felt better from the beginning, all the way to the end. I did a lot of stretching before and after. Now that I have sitting back at my desk for an hour again, my calves hurt (sore) again. I feel the most pain when pointing my foot up or standing with my leg staight. Only hurts a little when I point my toes forward or stand on my toes. I will take tomorrow as a rest day, I always take Friday as rest anyway. I hope to hit the weights again next Tuesday and swim on Saturday or Sunday. Does this sound nornal or have I done something bad?
Joe
2004-04-29 8:57 PM

New user

St. Paul, Minnesota

Anytime you lift weights, your muscle is torn (microscopically of course).  You need to give the muscle time to repair itself before you use that muscle to that extent.  After I lift my legs, I try to do it before one of my swim workouts.  That way my legs are recovered before my run.  I would give your legs a break until you can easily stretch your muscle without any pain.  Like everyone else said, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!

2004-04-30 12:55 AM

Portland, Oregon
What I heard is that you have not lifted in 8 YEARS--that is why your legs are hurting. Your calf muscles are very sensitive to weight lifting since they are rarely exposed to this type of exertion. I would focus on a lot less weight and things should get better overtime.

P.S. Way to go on the long swim out of the gates!
2004-04-30 3:06 PM

User image

Master
It is correct that I have not lifted in 8 years. I am aware that i had too much weight on one machine (for calves). I am using very low weight to begin, whem I go back on Tuesday, it will be way less!!!! I am sure I will do this again somewhere on my body before I figure out how much is right and not too much. Last night I stretched a lot, untill I could not go any further, then a little more. My right calve is much better, the left is still pretty sore but better then yesterday. I have had lots and lots of water, i wonder if the constant walking to the restroom will help?
I am really surprised that my arms/shoulders are not more sore from the swim....
Thanks to all,
Joe
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore today, what to do? Rss Feed