General Discussion Triathlon Talk » newbie running question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-29 11:00 AM

New user

washington dc
Subject: newbie running question
i'm a first time triathlete & will be doing the danskin sprint distance in mid-june in austin. running is my weakest event & i've gotten different advice from different coaches. is it more important to be able to consistently run much further than the 3 mile distance (say 6-7 miles - which feels like across the country to me) or to be able to run a shorter distance (like 4 miles) in several different configurations/topographies? or maybe some combination. i'm not sure what type of training will best prepare me to do the run at the end of a long race. thanks in advance for your advice!

2004-04-29 11:25 AM
in reply to: #21927

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: newbie running question
Don't worry about it too much...it's only 3 miles. It doesn't matter about the speed or the type of terrain as long as you can run/walk for a few miles, you'll be okay. Heck, when I did my first 10K--soooo long ago--I had never run more than 2 or 3 Kms! Once you get to the tri, your adrenaline will kick in and you will find that your biggest concern will be not allowing yourself to go too fast...to pace yourself.
2004-04-29 4:07 PM

Veteran
Colorado
I have no real knowledge for you because I am in the exact same boat as you! I find running so hard compared to biking or swimming and I am training for my first tri (a sprint - the Danskin in Denver). I will share some of my thoughts however...
I used to be hung-up on my speed/pace and then I wrote down different "scenarios" for me like running 3 miles in 36min vs 33 min vs 30 minutes. There's not really a whole lot of time difference here but for me, I work hard to maintain a 10 minute mile while a 12 minute mile is quite easy I feel I could run a long time at the slower pace. Perhaps at the running portion of my tri I will be so tired that all I can manage is a 12 min mile - I don't know. For these reasons, I figured that I would work on my endurance rather than speed. I added some longer runs (60-75 minutes) at slower speed (12 min mile) to my training. I felt as if I were "cheating" somehow because they were very easy, they just took a long time. Well, this week I tried my first brick. I took a spinning class and then hopped on the treadmill. I started at 12 min mile and kept it at that for several minutes. Then I upped my pace a little at a time. I ended up running 2 miles and the last half mile or more was at a 9:30 pace (which I NEVER do)!
Bottom line: I have decided that there is a place in my workouts for long slow runs and that they will benefit my speed and endurance. The proof will be seen in July I guess!
Best of luck to you!
2004-04-29 4:12 PM
in reply to: #22003

New user

washington dc
thanks for your advice! that's really encouraging. and good luck in denver! i'll post something to let you know how it goes in austin!
2004-04-29 4:34 PM

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
ddavid- your race in Austin? Is that Austin Texas? Do you know where it will be? The reason I ask is there is one spot called Townlake, which is relatively flat with only minor undulations. If that is where the race is, train for a relatively flat run. However..., there are a couple lakes in and around Austin absolutely surrounded by hills. If you tell me what body of water you will be swiming in, I can give you some more info.

In the Texas State Tri a month ago, many Austin people did well and filled up the front page of times as the race was in the Texas hill country - The Austinites had a distinct advantage as Austin is hilly, While San Antonio is flat.
2004-04-29 4:38 PM
in reply to: #22012

New user

washington dc
the austin race is at walter e. long park on decker lake. i've heard the bike course has 5 hills (yikes!), but i'm not sure what to expect from the run.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » newbie running question Rss Feed