General Discussion Triathlon Talk » pre-race burn out? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-29 12:05 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Subject: pre-race burn out?
I have methodically trained for 3 months for my first tri - 6 days a week, without fail. My tri is this Sunday and I am experiencing some straaaaange behavior. I have not put much effort into working out this week (or last week, to be honest)! I had a plan to taper this week, but find myself going to the gym with a weird attitude, and only doing 1/2 of what I intended. You couldn't make me swerve from my program before. I'm pretty peaceful about it, I guess. What's up with this? It's almost like I'm not motivated (gasp!), but still excited for my race. Feeling burnt out? maybe, although this doesn't seem the right time for that. For the first time, I find myself making excuses not to work out. What's going on??

2004-04-29 12:20 PM
in reply to: #21943

Subject: RE: pre-race burn out?
I don't know if I'm going through the same thing or not, but 3 weeks ago when I finished my "base phase" workouts, I felt pretty much exactly what you're describing. For the last 3 weeks, I've been doing bricks, intervals, and more strength training to get ready for my race. To counteract this "lack of enthusiasm" 3 weeks ago, I set my sights on a bigger goal, and threw myself into researching how to reach that goal. I hope to start training to do a 1/2 ironman in Mid-September, so I've got a 18 week schedule getting ready to start in mid-May. I don't know if this will help you or not, but I'll bet if you set a different goal, and then work towards that goal you might feel better about it. For me, it's not BEING there that's exciting, it's the preparation to GET there.
2004-04-29 1:38 PM

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
With my Oly I trained like crazy, always with the end in sight - a set date that couldn't be moved. I had to train to accomplish my goal without killing myself. About a week before the race, I too experienced a major let down in motivation and recognized that it was because there was nothing more I could do to prepare for the race. There wasn't time to make any more improvement. Also, subconsiously I knew that I was supposed to be taking it easy so I didn't feel much angst, but I was definately concerned that I didn't seem to care about working out any more. I wasn't very excited about the race, either, which was a little wierd. On the other side of my first Olympic Tri, I could't wait to get back on the road and actually had a full week of training right after the race. About a week later I decided to start training for a half IM at the end of summer.

I guess my point is that when I got about a week out, I let down mentally and physically and I am glad I did. My body and mind knew things I didn't and my race was a success because of it.
2004-04-29 3:41 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hey, I understand! 

Myself, my brother, and nephew will all be at the same race with you on Sunday (also our first Tri).
Including traveling time, I'm effectively done with training until Sunday.

I went for just a little maintenance ride and run this morning - just enough to feel it in my legs.  I'll probably take another 1 mile run tomorrow too.  Other than that, its just a case of not letting any doubts or imagined aches/pains creep in before Sunday.

Good Luck on the race.

Dan

Edited by dhyte 2004-04-29 3:41 PM
2004-04-29 3:54 PM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Very interesting thread here, because to a lesser degree I've had similar experiences. I've chalked it up to two things: (1) Perhaps it's the journey we love, not the destination. It's fun getting stronger, faster, thinner, but it's anti-climactic when we arrive. (2) Perhaps we're just tired. Our bodies are always talking to us; I think one of the best skills I've picked up training for triathlons is the ability to hear it and heed it. Don't know if any of this is valid; these are simply thoughts I've had. Good luck to everyone!!
2004-04-29 4:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Mesa, AZ
I think triman50 hit the nail on the head. It’s all about the journey. We just have to get over one last hurtle, the actual race, then it’s off to the next journey. Be it the next Sprint, Oly or 1/2 IM it all boils down to one thing. The journey!

2004-04-29 5:29 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Wow, great thoughts and I feel better knowing others have felt the same. I think it's true that I realize that this week there is no challenge in getting a better time or longer distance, or any improved performance factors, which were some of the things that were driving me before. I haven't set any goals beyond this tri, because I wanted to see if it was something I enjoyed doing and even if I could finish. I think I'm going to find another race to shoot for right now. Actually just thinking about it makes me feel kind of excited. I do love a good journey, but I want to make sure I enjoy arriving at the destination too!

Hey Dan - good luck to all three of you!
2004-04-29 5:43 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

I recently heard someone say that the key to having a good race is to "not become too emotionally invested in the outcome".
His story described how he wasn't going to have a good day unless he won.  Period.  When he realized this, and got over it, he was able to focus on enjoying himself, execute the race plan the way he had prepared, be glad to be out there, and just see how it unfolded.  Seems like agood approach.

I am just going to have a great time on Sunday.  That's all.  The rest is gravy, and I look forward to telling you about it next week!

2004-04-29 9:19 PM

Extreme Veteran
This thread is really speaking to me since I have a mini-tri on Sunday. I've really tapered, and now feel that if I never swim, bike or run ever again in my life, it will be okay. Could be pre-race performance jitters, or just plain over-training. Doesn't matter. I'm just sorry that I bought a new bike for this one. I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling this way.
2004-04-30 12:13 AM

Portland, Oregon
Great thread--I have 2 thoughts on why this feeling might be there.

1. Over training? When I started training 3 months ago I was following one of the suggested workouts on this site or 7 workouts a week, and disregarded the taper week every 4th week, at week 6 I was dragging, found myself not interested in working out, or quiting my workout early. I took a few days off and realized that my body needed the rest, which also charged my mind as well.

2. Fear of failure? My first tri is still not for another month, but last week it felt like it was fast approaching. When I threw my hat into the ring to commit myself to competing in a few tri's this summer, it seemed like I had ages to train for them, yet after a disappointing swim last week this feeling came over me like I was no longer interested in participating. I think I was getting a little to wrapped up in my time as oppose to following my original goal of just completing the event.

At the end of the day the journey so far has been amazing, look forward to hearing about all of your races this weekend.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » pre-race burn out? Rss Feed