General Discussion Triathlon Talk » newbie question about gels Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-12-28 8:25 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: newbie question about gels

Please help an ignorant newbie!  Now that my workouts are going to begin exceeding the 1 hour mark on a regular basis I'm looking more seriously into nutrition and energy replacement.  Most "bar" type foods are out because I'm a celiac and they have ingredients I can't eat.  I've found a few that I can have, but I have a feeling that gels are going to be my main source of energy.  Do you just suck them out of the little bag?  On the ones that say to take with water do you squeeze them into a water bottle and mix it up or does that just mean to be hydrating with water during the time you are eating the gel?  Is there a concern of overusing them in training and then having to spend your whole race eating?  It seems to me like getting away with the minimum amount (without bonking) is the way to go.  Bring on the advice, I need help!

2005-12-28 8:48 AM
in reply to: #312338

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: newbie question about gels

Check the ingredients of different gels before deciding on which ones to use.  Some will mix well in water some won't.  Its most common just to eat the gel from the tube/package.  You're right, just suck the contents out.  Be sure and wash the gel down with a swig of water.  Gels are usually very thick and they can linger in the mouth a little longer than you like unless you wash them down.  Also be careful not to consume more than your body can allow.  Remember that on longer workouts your body can only process about 250 calories an hour.  If one tube of gel is 250 calories you don't want to be eating two or three gels within that period.  If you do you're asking for G.I. issues.  I've made the mistake of eating too much gel and I ended up wearing the contents on my shoes (if you know what I mean).

Edited by oipolloi 2005-12-28 8:51 AM

2005-12-28 9:48 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Celiac + Google = better informed (always amazed by the everyday utility of Google ... guess that is why their market cap exceed the combined GDP of many small nations)

... anyway, where were we?  Gels.

I agree that they are much easier to injest than bars during or even post exercise - plus, sucking them straight out of the package is easier while running than eating a bar + breathing. 

I use gels for electrolyte (occasionally suffer from calf cramps) * and calorie replentishment either during a long work out or right thereafter.  I currently use Accerate gels (Strawberry + Kiwi) flavor as they have a 4:1 carb to protien mix as well as the vitamins and minerals (and calories).

Washing them down with water is beneficial insomuch as you need the fluid replacement more than the calories.  I have yet to see a gel that required mixing with water.

This 4:1 ratio is also beneficial to muscle recovery + rebuilding.

* I know that there is no scientific link between electrolytes + cramping ... but I have found that taking gels while maintaining hydration has staved off cramping (as opposed to just one or the other).    

2005-12-29 9:54 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-12-29 10:58 PM

Master
for long rides you can squeez several Gels into a small flask and suck them out of that...
2005-12-30 6:49 AM

Crystal Lake, IL
Thanks for the tips everyone.  I did an hour swim this morning and about halfway into it I downed a half a gel.  At first I thought maybe my first gel shouldn't come during a swim but I really liked it.  I've read about so many people who complain about these things that I was very apprehensive.  It was like eating the frosting off of a cake and as someone who can't do that anymore it's  a treat!  So it was fine and I'm about to become a gel addict.  Thanks again.

2005-12-30 3:00 PM
in reply to: #313519

Expert
New Orleans, LA

hangloose - 2005-12-30 6:49 AM Thanks for the tips everyone.  I did an hour swim this morning and about halfway into it I downed a half a gel.  At first I thought maybe my first gel shouldn't come during a swim but I really liked it.  I've read about so many people who complain about these things that I was very apprehensive.  It was like eating the frosting off of a cake and as someone who can't do that anymore it's  a treat!  So it was fine and I'm about to become a gel addict.  Thanks again.

What kind/ flavor did you have? I've only tried one type/flavor so far, and have liked it - PowerGel - Vanilla flavor - I think they taste like the fake tootsie rolls that you get at Halloween.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » newbie question about gels Rss Feed