General Discussion Triathlon Talk » running again after plantar fasciitis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-12-28 10:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
Subject: running again after plantar fasciitis
So it has been almost 6 months since my diagnosis and after 1 cortisone shot, 2 months of PT, and 6 months of being confined to the ellipitcal and/or bike, i believe I am on my way to being healed. I am not 100% pain free but there are times and days when the pain is barely noticable. My doctor and PT have advised me to start running 10-15 minutes at a time to see how it goes. But I am a bit fearful of this....

My question for you (fellow suffers), when did you start running again? And how did you go about it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I really miss running and would like to make my 2006 goals which includes the Indie Mini-Marathon in May.

Thanks in Advance!!

2005-12-28 11:50 PM
in reply to: #312403

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
Subject: RE: running again after plantar fasciitis
I have never had this but know of several people who have. The one thing that healed them and made sure they never got it again is that they incorporated barefoot running into their training. Not barefoot on the street only on the grass. It helped them, maybe it can help you.
2006-01-02 1:14 PM

Pro
I have plantar fasciitis and I just started running last week for the first time since the end of September. I have a new set of orthotics and I have not gone through any PT or cortisone... yet.

I am not totally pain free but I'm really working on my technique. I try not to stress the foot, I land on the forefoot and lift the foot without pushing off (sounds strange, see Pose technique, or similar for an idea of what I'm talking about).

I have a follow up appointment with the podiatrist and then we'll see how it goes. I may well go to a doctor and get a cortisone shot, and if I go for therapy, it will be with somebody trained to help me work on my running technique.

My first run was only 2 or 3 kms, alternating running and walking. Then I did 4 km with a short walk in the middle, and yesterday I did 5.5 km with 2 short walks. Yesterdays run was quite slow for me at about 33 minutes. Before the injury, I would have done the same distance in about 26 or 27 minutes.

I ice my foot after every run now as well.
2006-01-06 1:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hello

I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis when I was 12 (I'm 21 now) and I've found that even with PT over the years and orthotics it gets better and more managable, though never quite painless. (I've never had a cortisone shot though - what does this do?) I've found icing them after a run is helpful and just simple things like not wearing crazy spike heels and avoiding sports with a lot of stop-and-start/change-of-direction pounding (like basketball).

As I was so young when I was diagnosed (which the doctor said was almost unheard of in pre-teen girls) I wasn't so much in the habit of running for running's sake, more for sports, especially softball. If I remember correctly however, once I had completed the first (of many) rounds of PT and got my new orthotics it didn't take long to get back on my feet so to speak. I find now though that with a foot weakness, I'm more prone to shin splints in the (particularly) bad leg, as well as ankle and achillies tendon stiffness. Let me tell you, it's yucky, man

Anyhow, I'm glad to hear you're getting back out there. My biggest piece of advice (as a long term sufferer) is to not get lazy with caring for it, even on days it feels OK. As I was so young, I (foolishly) didn't think it would get worse as I got older or if I scarificed my well-supported shoes for more fashionable ones in high school when it felt painless. Now, many days (like today) my feet ache just from walking - I wish I'd known then what I know now as it could have and would have made a difference.

Good luck with the mini marathon!! Go you!

Megz
2006-01-06 10:45 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
The trick, for me, seems to be gradual strengthening without overdoing it and causing a re-injury. Start really easy and slow. I did some exercise sessions of just walking before I started running again. When I did run, I'd warm up first with a few minutes of walking, then a couple of short jogs, and some light stretching. Afterwards, I'd concentrate on inflamation control with ice, elevation, rest, and some easy massage through the sole of the foot.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » running again after plantar fasciitis Rss Feed