General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Training for my first Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-30 5:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Belize
Subject: Training for my first Tri
Hello, I'm Dave and I'm training for my first triathlon.

I am a Belizean and I live in Belize. For those of you who don't know, Belize is a small country in Central
America.

Triathlon is something new for Belizean athletes. There is only one triathlon event that takes place each year in September. It's called the LionMan triathlon (0.25 mile swim, 20 miles bike, 4.5 miles run). This September, the event will be 5 years old. There are quite a lot of cyclists here though and many cycling races throughout the year, including a 76-year old cycling classic. I love cycling and I find myself leaning more towards cycling than to any other sport but since I don't yet have a road bike I've decided to give the triathlon a try (on my mountain bike). There aren't much running events either and swimming as a sport is almost non-existent. I was the fastest runner on my football teams in high school and junior college but never really a good long distance runner. As for swimming, I get tired after only a few strokes but I believe that with proper technique I'll be able to complete the 1/4 mile distance, which seems pretty short compared to other triathlons that I have seen.

My athletic background is in football (soccer for those living in North America). I played on both my high school and junior college teams. However, that was over 8 years ago. I spent 1997 and 1998 attending University in the USA where I played intramural football. I also spent a couple days each week weight training in the gym. Upon returning to Belize I got married and started a family, which left me little time for sports or for working out at the gym until last year July when I purchased a mountain bike and started going for long rides on the road. I've really enjoyed riding and I feel that it is something I might be able to compete in. Since purchasing my mountain bike I've replaced the fat tires with some slick tires and I'm now able to keep up with the roadies.

I think the triathlon will be good for me since all cycling has caused me to neglect other muscle groups. And since the triathlon is the only event where I can compete on my mountain bike, I decided that this will be my first event. I've been searching the Internet for some good training tips and so far this site has been very helpful. I like it a lot. I especially like the training log and the ability to communicate with triathletes from all over the world. This is really cool idea to combine the forums with a training log! I certainly will be using the training log and I hope to find friends who will encourage me to keep training even if I don't win my first event.

See you all in the forums.

2004-04-30 5:55 PM
in reply to: #22231

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: RE: Training for my first Tri
Welcome Dave,Good to see you Tri'ing! Only one tri event huh? Maybe BT will have to go to Belize and start another one! Happy training!
2004-04-30 10:13 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome to the T-Spot!
2004-05-01 1:17 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member

mmmm...belize...i think an awesome dive spot too...dive 'n tri'n.

welcome davidz!

2004-05-01 7:49 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Welcome! :-) Good luck in your tri! You will find plenty of encouragement here!
2004-05-01 6:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
if you are ever in need of some motivation or support, keep coming back... i cant go too long w/o reading about what everyone is up to on the forums and am constantly learning something new

2004-05-01 11:12 PM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho

Cool, a lot of Northern Border peeps here I think you might be first South of Border person, Sweet.

Then we have a number of South of the Equator people here - Aussies

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Training for my first Tri Rss Feed