General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about Tri Clubs... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-03 7:24 PM

User image

Regular
Raleigh, NC
Subject: Question about Tri Clubs...
I started training on my own late last summer for an April Sprint - Seriously from ground zero and I decided I needed some club/group to help with motivation and obviously to provide experience advise, etc. Tonight was my first night and it was a group run (Ugh!)...it was a little cool out and just finishing the couch to 5k program 2 weeks ago - add a week off due to holidays and a move...over 4 miles...well - it hurt. I had to walk - and I was the last one in...Not shocking - i'm a slow runner - but i'm not sure what I should do from here. I know working out with someone more advanced is helpful, however, I felt like I was holding one person back from keeping up with the group because it was dark out - and he didn't want me to run alone. I was under the impression the group was for all levels, but it appears that I AM the beginner 'level' and i'm not sure what to do with that! Should I keep going and holding someone back on the run? Should I keep rolling on the treadmill alone until I can take it up a notch and have a better attempt at keeping up? Tomorrow morning is the swim group...I hope that my time in the pool makes that event a bit better than tonight's run!!! Any advise would be appreciated!!!

2006-01-03 7:56 PM
in reply to: #316016

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Question about Tri Clubs...
I would go talk to the leader that heads the run and see what he/she says.  You couldn't be the first person that has been in this situation before.  Just don't get discouraged but I wouldn't push it at a level (either distance or speed) you are not use to, you may get injured. 
2006-01-03 8:43 PM

User image

Elite

Yeah, they'll usually work with you on things like that.  Giving you alternate shorter courses, etc.  You want to go a little out side your comfort zone, but you don't want to be killing yourself every run.

bts 

2006-01-03 8:59 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Keep going. You never know which week someone else will show up who's a little newer and a little slower than you that you'll be able to hang back for.
2006-01-03 9:42 PM

User image

Clearwater, Florida. The Hurricane State
Way to go!  Keep on triing.  Don't ever feel bad about getting out and having to walking to finish.   You are doing what only a very  small percentage of America is doing.  Keep up the activity,   Just start really slow and easy.  Don't push yourself to the point of pain and injury.   And let your body recover.   Stay with the club and talk to the group leader.   
2006-01-04 6:50 AM

User image

Regular
Raleigh, NC
Thanks Everyone! I have sent an email to the person heading the group up and hopefully there will be some kind of alternative - at least for the run portion! I definitely am not going to stop now! I've come too far! Thanks again!!!

2006-01-04 7:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Northeast
I'm a front of the packer and let me just say that I despise clubs that advertise "all levels welcome" and then leave the rookie out to dry. Before I moved, I used to lead up a cycling group where we would have mixed club rides (A, B and C level rides, with designated leaders for each) and beginner rides, where we would never ride in front of the slowest person. I, along with my other organizers for this club, never recieved so many compliments from newbies saying how much they appreciated a genuine "all levels welcome" club.

I know there are more organizations out there that strive for this, but honestly, they're hard to come by and I think it's really a shame. Okay. End rant.

As for you jenneunc - the worst is behind you! Keep at it and focus on enjoying the sport and working with your club to better suit beginners such as yourself! Most of all - have fun!
2006-01-04 7:11 AM
in reply to: #316177

User image

Veteran
South Jersey
I'm not part of a tri club at this time, but i can definetly say don't give up and keep trying you will get to that point of staying with the group, you may even help someone who once was in your shoes.

Edited by dare2trimom 2006-01-04 7:11 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about Tri Clubs... Rss Feed