General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about Bodyfat Scales... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-03 7:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Québec City
Subject: Question about Bodyfat Scales...
I received a bodyfat scale as a Christmas gift and would like to compare datas with other %fat scales owners.

What % of fat would be considered as "good" or "average" for a triathlete with a BMI of 22.8 ? I measure 5'8.5'' and weigh 150 pounds and the scale gives me 20% of fat, which I find a little bit high (thouhg I'm carrying a little holiday weight...).

The scale is a Healtometer BFM920-01 (without atlhetic mode...) : http://www.healthometer.com/productdetail.asp?id=96

Thanks for your inputs,

Christian.

2006-01-03 8:07 PM
in reply to: #316026

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Question about Bodyfat Scales...
My tanita BF scale changes 3 to 5% EVERY day... I dont put to much stock in it. The BIG deal is to make sure you are always hydrated well. because of the way they measure BF well hydrated = lower BF reading. What I do is weigh myself first thing in the am right after I go to the bathroom. That way I get a more steady reading.
2006-01-11 8:27 AM

User image

Regular
Cary, NC
I expect the absolute body fat % readout to be incorrect as compared with more accurate measures (Tanita states that their method is +/-5% as compared to the most precise test available). What is important to me is that the scale is consistent day-to-day so that body fat trends are visible.

piggpen35 - 2006-01-03 9:07 PM

My tanita BF scale changes 3 to 5% EVERY day... I dont put to much stock in it. The BIG deal is to make sure you are always hydrated well. because of the way they measure BF well hydrated = lower BF reading. What I do is weigh myself first thing in the am right after I go to the bathroom. That way I get a more steady reading.

3-5% daily is a huge variation. I have an older Tanita scale that varies about 1% daily and I suspect that is due to hydration level differences.

Morning is the best time of day for weight measurements, but it's probably the worst time of day (not counting the times after endurance workouts) for body fat measurement because hydration level is low in the morning. Here is a quote from Tanita's FAQ:

Q: Are there optimal conditions for determining body fat percentage using Tanita's products?
A: Yes, there are:

Select a consistent time of day, and stick to it.

With an empty bladder

When normally hydrated

Unclean foot pads may interfere with conductivity.

Nylons interfere with conductivity. If it is absolutely necessary to measure in nylons, use a drop of isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol on the foot pads to act as a conductor.

Things that can affect hydration include:

• strenuous exercise
• recent food intake
• diuretics such as caffeine, alcohol, certain medications

Early morning is not recommended because the body is often dehydrated after a night's sleep. Once you have established your baseline, monitor body fat about twice a month. Checking body fat more frequently is not beneficial as changes occur slowly over time.

2006-01-11 1:42 PM
in reply to: #321252

User image

Veteran
Arlington Heights, IL
MTBonker - 2006-01-11 8:27 AM

Early morning is not recommended because the body is often dehydrated after a night's sleep. Once you have established your baseline, monitor body fat about twice a month. Checking body fat more frequently is not beneficial as changes occur slowly over time.

This is frustrating for me, since my scale doesn't give me my BF without giving me my weight. I will only weigh myself as soon as I wake up, since this tends to be when I'm at my lightest. If I weigh myself later in the day, I start making excuses like, "Oh, I had a big lunch" or "my hair is still wet" and I lose the drive that I have when I see that *true* number.

At least now I know why my scale always fluctuates +/- 2% on BF.
2006-01-11 1:43 PM

I also have one that varies a couple of % points. My scale also has an athlete mode that changes my percent by about 2-3%(for the better). I'm not sure I would put too much stock in a day by day changes because for the reasons listed above it is not totally accurate. I've had some pretty odd and unexpected numbers come out on that thing. But if you take the trend over time and are consistent in your measurements ie same time of day, pee before you weigh, don't get on with wet feet, etc. it can be a useful product.
2006-01-11 2:31 PM

User image

Elite

I have a Tanita scale.  I am approximately the same height and weight as you (But a bunch older.  Age is a factor in Tanita's BF correlation.)  I weigh in the morning for my consistent time of day reading.  On the athletic setting I get 10 +/-1%.  It changes quite a bit during the day, mostly downward from the morning reading.  I have seen <6% fairly often.  I have compared the "normal" and "athletic" settings and get readings around 17% on the normal setting.  I figure the 10-17% bracket the actual number.  I don't particularly care what that number is.   I am just looking for changes.  A low reading usually means I am dehydrated and so I make it a point to drink extra water that morning.

TW

2006-01-11 4:24 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
We just got a new scale with %BF.

I like to weigh myself first thing in the morning, as that is when I feel my weight is most consistent (oh, and it also is when I'm lightest). As others have said, this may not be ideal for measuring %BF.

As an "experiment" I weighed/measured myself first thing in the morning, and again about 45 minutes later, after exercising and showering. My %BF dropped from 17% to 7% (with a half-pound decrease in weight). I'd like to believe the latter, but the first is closer to what I had measured last spring.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about Bodyfat Scales... Rss Feed