General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf cramps anyone? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-04 7:30 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Calf cramps anyone?
Hello everyone. First I just want to say what a wonderful help this site is to someone as unknowledgeable as myself. That being said, i've been exercising regularly for about 6 months, with only the last few involving running/walking/jogging of any kind. Usually i will do about 30 minutes on the elliptical(i only very recently started training for a tri) and then switch to a treadmill. Only a few minutes into my treadmill I get these bizarre cramps in my calves. It isn't painful per se, but they feel somewhat like the muscles are contracting and my legs tend to temporarily lock up. Sometimes i keep going and they work themselves out, but other times it gets worse and I can't continue. i've heard two things, 1) i am dehydrated and need more water and 2) it is a lack of potassium. Can anyone offer some advice or background on why this may be? Does anyone have this? On my 30 min run last night it started at about 20 mins in but i just kept going. I am not in the best shape if that has anything to do with it, and definitely overweight, but hey..at least I'm out there trying!

Thanks!

2006-01-04 7:44 AM
in reply to: #316201

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Calf cramps anyone?
I'll take a guess and say it's not nutrition and it's because you are doing the elliptical first.  Try the treadmill first without the elliptical and see if it happens. 
2006-01-04 8:08 AM
in reply to: #316211

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tokyo, Japan

I actually used to have the same problem and my solution was neither hydration or nutrition related.  In fact, it was my shoes.  I used to run in Nike shoes that had NO support, especially for pronation (foot rolling inward).  I found that simply by changing to shoes that offered better support, Asics in my case, my calf problems went away overnight!!

Now I'm not saying you have the same problem, but I think you should definately take a look at the shoes you're wearing and if they are suited to you.  Trust me, it can make a HUGE difference. 

2006-01-04 9:01 AM

User image

Regular
Hey thanks for the shoe idea. I hadn't thought about that and you're right I'm running on some pretty old just basic tennis shoes I have had for a couple years. I need to buy some new dress boots so I might take a look at some decent running shoes as well.

Thanks!
2006-01-04 9:38 AM
in reply to: #316274

User image

Veteran
Washington DC
Jbacon - 2006-01-04 10:01 AM

I need to buy some new dress boots so I might take a look at some decent running shoes as well.

PLEASE get real running shoes, fitted by a running store, if you are going to run.

During training for my first marathon, one of the girls in my group tried running in cheap sneakers - she lasted 2 runs and wound up in a cast for months with a stress fracture.

Don't ruin your feet. You need feet, not dress boots
2006-01-04 9:49 AM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
I used to be a "hard-core" treadmill runner. After making my self run outside a bit, I doubt I would ever go back to the... "gerbile immitator". I found that my running form was not good on the tread nor was my body getting used to the "real world" platform of a stationary floor as oppposed to one that moved for you.

When you (hopefully), get proper running shoes, try running on a track, sand, grass (anything softer than concret), whenever possible. It may not be easy for some but it's well worth the effort come race day.

Edited by cobannero 2006-01-04 9:57 AM

2006-01-04 11:14 AM

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
Yes! If you're going to run - you MUST get running shoes.  Or, you will be inviting injury and a quick end to your fitness career.   Been there, done that...Laughing
2006-01-04 12:39 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

IF you are certain you are properly hydrated and IF you are certain you have the proper nutrition/electrolytes then the next thing I would do is try to isolate the problem.  I don't think you stated in your post whether this happens if you just run without doing the elliptical first.  Try that and see if it happens.  If it does happen, and it's around the same time in to the workout, then the likelihood that it's the shoes goes up.  If it happens but it's later in the workout then it may be more nutrition/hydration related than you think.  Is it possible that it's happening at a certain TIME in your workout, you just always happen to be running when it occurs?  If it doesn't happen at all when you run without the elliptical (and your workout is long enough to test for the time problem mentioned above) then it may be your body is not responding well to the stress of running immediately after being worked on the elliptical and I would separate the workouts to try to prevent injury.  It may be (and I'm theorizing on a lot of this without the credentials to back it up) that since your muscles aren't properly developed yet, when you are doing the elliptical and then begin running they aren't able to handle the change in workload.  I waited several months to begin brick workouts for just this reason.

Then again, I could just be full of b.s.  Maybe someone with actual knowledge will chime in on my theory.  If nothing else, I'd stick to one excersize per workout for a while (leg related) and see if that helps.  Good luck.

2006-01-04 2:02 PM
in reply to: #316459

User image

Regular
thanks for the good advice everyone. To answer a question, yes it does happen both when i've done the ellipitcal first and then when i start heavy running without the elliptical. last night i went out and tried to do the walk 5 mins, jog 2, walk 5, jog 3 type of intervals. i was amazed at how much easier it was to jog outside than on the treadmill, and i even went up hills! bUt i noticed that about half way in i had very minor cramps and i kept going and they were fine. I was very properly hydrated that day so i don't think that was a problem. although i didn't eat very well yesterday so? But i also think it could be that after 30 mins on the elliptical, moving to a 30 min walk/run could be overdoing it. i try to get at least 45-hr of cardio per workout, but prob need to do something more like 30 mins of run/walk and 30 mins of swimming so its not so stressful. Also, today i'm going to look into some REAL running shoes along with the dress boots (ha).

I keep reading alot about electrolytes and consider myself fairly knowledgeable whenit comes to proper nutrition, but am not sure about this one. What foods contain high amts of electrolytes...fruit isn't it? I could be wrong.

Thanks again everyone! MY tri isn't till August..hah..but i want to be a machine by that point.
2006-01-04 3:00 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
This was a subject in another thread recently regarding calf cramps while swimming and I commented there that when I biked in college we always ate bananas the day before and morning of a race or big ride to up our potassium/electrolytes to prevent cramping.  I thought it was bunk until the one time I blew it off.  I ended falling over on my bike because the cramping was so bad I couldn't stick my leg out to catch myself when I stopped.  Lesson learned!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf cramps anyone? Rss Feed