General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf muscle pulled/torn? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-05 7:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Calf muscle pulled/torn?
I have been gradually increasing my run speeds, feeling good throughout. On Christmas Day, I did a ride/run brick, and about 1.5 mile into my run, bam! Stabbing pain in my left calf, on the outside of the muscle. I had to walk home, iced it, and could barely walk the next day.

It has gradually improved, and been pain free for about a week. I can ride, swim, lift weights..nothing else seems to bother it. I haven't run since Christmas.

I decided I'd try a short run on the treadmill tonight to check its' progress. About 9/10ths of a mile into it, the pain came back. I stopped immediately and it doesn't feel horrible right now but I know it's not healed.

I intend to give it two weeks of rest; I am fairly bummed about it and I'd appreciate any advice on remediation or rehab. I am stretching it daily.

2006-01-20 6:13 PM
in reply to: #317746

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
Subject: RE: Calf muscle pulled/torn?
I did the same thing last August and since I've not had many sports injuries ... didn't realize the magnitude of what I'd done.  Tried heat/ice and taking time off, but it didn't work.  End of December I did two weeks of ultrasound and EMS at the chiropracter and got back to the running last week (would have been sooner I think, but I got sick over Christmas).  Did 4+ miles Wednesday and 3+ yesterday and yeah, it's a little tender, but stretching has taken care of it.  Good luck!
2006-01-20 10:21 PM
in reply to: #317746

User image

Subject: RE: Calf muscle pulled/torn?
Get thee to a physiotherapist!

Like Foolproof, I am just getting over a calf tear. They're not pleasant, and they will take FOREVER to heal unless you get help. I've been going to physio since November for this.. I'm now finally getting back in the swing of things, though my recovery is very slow. A month and a half ago, my physio said I could start running: 30 secs at a time, with 4 min walk breaks. No, I'm not kidding. These days, definitely nowhere near running constantly: I'm up to 2 mins run, 1 min walk now. woo. BUT - it's healing, and I'm not risking going through this again.

So.. if you think you've torn a calf muscle, or it is something that is comprimising your running ability, WALK, don't run, to your nearest physiotherapist. Or doctor. Or chiropractor. Or whoever you feel most comfortable with. Hope it gets better!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf muscle pulled/torn? Rss Feed