General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First flats of the season... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-01 8:37 PM

User image

Expert
New Mexico
Subject: First flats of the season...
The chief was having a BBQ and and lives 20miles out of town and I needed the workout, so I decided to put the slicks on the mtn. bike and head out...easier said than done.

On the first attempt, I broke the tire lever and punctured the tube. For the second attempt, I scrounged up one of my old aluminum levers and tried again, this time creating enough of an edge to...you got it, cut another tube.

I decided to put the knobbies back on, rode out and back with out incident, and really earned my place at the table.

Glad it didn't happen on the road.

2004-05-01 9:34 PM
in reply to: #22377

Champion
Subject: RE: First flats of the season...
Wow, that's enough of a workout changing tubes that you almost don't need the ride!

Your post reminded me that I got my first flat of the season today...in my garage last night, picking up a tiny piece of wire that somehow penetrated the tire and it was flat this morning. Changed it in 10 minutes and was not late for my morning ride with the group!

Max
2004-05-04 12:09 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

i am waiting with trepidation for my first flat...

glad it didnt happen on the road...would have been a bummer, man.

2004-05-04 3:20 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Speaking of flats....I don't mean to fall into a stereotypical portrayal of women in our society but I am completely the "fairer sex," when it comes to anything mechanical. And of all the tri sports cycling is the most equipment laden. I took my bike to get fixed up after it had been caged in my garage for two years with nary a ride. I've been on two long rides this season, one trail, one road/trail and thankfully I haven't had a flat but I am dreading it because I'm so non mechanical that I think I'll be stranded 20 miles from home with no way to get back.What am I to do? What should I carry with me when I ride to ensure that I at least can make it home. I have a place for a air pump (its empty now), but just want to know what I need to make sure I'm not stranded in the middle of a corn field with no way to get my butt back home.Ovetta.-
2004-05-04 3:48 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
2 things:

Ovetta--I carry a lever (I only need one for my tires), a small pump, and an extra tube. I also carry a patch kit--in case I somehow destroy my extra tube!! Also, I was once rescued by someone else who gave me their patch kit--so I've always wanted one on hand in case I could hand it to someone else. Lastly I always carry a bar of some kind (clif bar, powerbar, whatever) because you can use it to temporarily fix a whole in the tire, not the tube--which has happened to me!! A whole in the tire is dire, because, any tube you try to inflate in it will puncture. You can use the wrapper from one of those bars to put between the tube and the hole in your tire, and Walla! it's a miracle!! Female empowerment, Ovetta!!

My most recent flat was bizarre!! I got it the day before, the day before my race. I couldn't see any obstruction in the tire, so I took off the wheel and tire to check the tube. It was stuck (and I mean STUCK) to my tire. I think all that use on the trainer in my hot hot attic had made the two one, but not in the biblical sense. I felt like I was pulling gum off my shoe when I separated the tube from the tire!! Glad it happened then and not on race day though!!

Dana
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First flats of the season... Rss Feed