General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TI Drills vs. Other Drills and Laps Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-06 10:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Adel
Subject: TI Drills vs. Other Drills and Laps
I'm just curious how many of you have gone the Total Immersion route and if those who have swam prior to doing it, noticed a noticeble benefit? I went through it a couple of years ago, but didn't last year. Ironically my swim times were better last year just doing simple drills, like catch up, than months of Total Immersion. I've been out of the water the last couple of months and did the initial TI Drills earlier this week and was going to do them again today. They just bore the crap out of me and it feels like I'm not getting anything accomplished.

2006-01-06 1:59 PM
in reply to: #318127

User image

Pro
Reston
Subject: RE: TI Drills vs. Other Drills and Laps
Matt, I spent my first season just swimming, lap after lap after lap, hoping that eventually something would change. It didn't.  I picked up TI this winter and have started working through the drills.  You're right, they can be endlessly boring.  I've seen that it has helped tremendously with my balance.  I am not supposed to be swimming (laps, anyway) because of a shoulder injury, so it is a good way for me to stay in the pool.  Occasionally I'll roll off a 50m or so, lightly, and I do feel improvement.  I'm sure it depends on the person, for me, it has made a difference.
2006-01-06 3:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Adel
Thanks... I gutted it out and just did them today and actually found that in just a couple days that my balance has improved. I've got shoulder problems myself, so this will be a good way to get some water time while I'm working on rehabbing the shoulder.
2006-01-06 3:16 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
I'm doing nothing but TI drills for the next month at least.  I started them on my own last year and found that they helped my balance.  I took a TI clinic last month and it was good to have someone who knows what TI is watching and giving me feedback.  Drills can be boring, but I limit my time to 30-45min at any one session and focus on 2-3 drills in the progression.  Each lap and take a short break to focus and pick one specific focal point for the next lap.  I'll do a couple laps of breast stroke every 10-15min just to break things up.  I've found that I'm not getting bored and  leave the pool looking forward to the next session because I didn't spend an hour+ doing non-stop drills.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TI Drills vs. Other Drills and Laps Rss Feed