Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-02 7:58 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: New Forum!

And to introduce it, we have just received a great article:

THE CARB QUESTION

Dispelling some myths about low carb diets.

By Mark Allen of www.markallenonline.com

We are opening this new forum as we feel this issue is very important and deserves its own forum.  Different diet plans work for different people and then fitting in triathlon training is a big change for many.  Post what works for you, what hasn't, share your weightloss success and failures.  Hope you enjoy it!

- The BT Team.

2004-05-02 8:17 PM
in reply to: #22482

Champion
Subject: RE: New Column!
Great article Ron, thanks for posting and for starting a new column too. What a great addition.

Max
2004-05-02 9:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Subject: RE: New Column!

Hi gang - this issue is close to my heart - I struggled with diets for three decades. Actually lost 345 pounds! Problem is at the end of three decades, I was 24 pounds heavier than when I began the diet cycles. there are some details on the whole process I went through to finally dump about 65 pounds of fat and gain 18 pounds of muscle. The whole story is in a blog I keep somewhat regularly - but here's a bit from that blog:

"Here's the problem with diets. Dieting is all about deprivation. Weight watchers, lo carb, (Atkins was called Stillman's way back in the 70's), South Beach, cabbage soup, Jared and the Subway thing, the lists of diets out there on the front pages of the magazines you see at the checkout counters go on and on. Headlines shout out new ways to "lose 500 pounds in six days," in every issue. The basic principle is the same in every diet. Basically it's, "You can't have this, but you can have that." Actually, people do lose weight with whatever fad attempts. (Except for maybe those pills from mail order houses that promise to burn away your fat while you sleep. No need to exercise or diet.) A physician on NBC's Today Show commented that American's are good at losing weight - they just aren't good at keeping it off. That's because of the deprivation thing. Dieting doesn't work because how we eat is only one dimension of a lifestyle change. The Atkins craze is especially harmful (no serious athlete does "lo carb". Check the Atkins Alert link in my blog (address below) for the medical low down on the Atkins Diet from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. (If you are even thinking Atkins - visit this site. Atkins in the long term is a killer diet.) You don't really lose weight with Atkins - you are drying out. 

For me, at least, a lifestyle change is a kind of three legged stool. How I eat, how I give my cardio vascular system a proper workout and resistance training for the muscular skeletal system completes the stool. As a runner, I was eating okay, doing the cardio, but I'm thinking a part of my injury problem was that missing resistance training piece to build up the muscular/skeletal system. Lifestyle change, on the other hand, is about abundance. I have more energy, more stamina, more fun, more goals, a more positive attitude about life in general and more really great friends who share the joy of a healthy lifestyle."

Sorry for the long post here - but finally something worked and it wassn't "dieting" - check my blog at: http://couchtocompetition.blogspot.com/   There is a recipie page and it has stuff that helped me with the tripple whammy of overweight, diabetic, and high cholesterol.

You CAN crack this thing!

2004-05-03 2:58 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-05-04 2:40 PM
in reply to: #22495

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: Hey Malvey
When I was reading your training log, something you wrote really stuck out to me -- the part about coffee and cigarettes and bronchitis. As a kid, I had terrible allergies (had shots for 7 years) and plenty o' lung problems. What did I do when I was a teen? Yup, I started smoking. I smoked for 7 years, up to a pack and a half a day. I got bronchitis at least twice a year. Beyond that, though, I always felt tired. I didn't feel like actually getting off the couch and doing anything. I managed to stick with strength training, but that was it. Since I quit smoking a little over 4 years ago, my entire life has changed. I actually don't want to watch tv anymore on the weekends -- I want to be outside DOING something! Ain't life wonderful when you can breathe? 4 years ago, I would never have imagined that I could run 55 minutes straight like I just did today!

The dieting thing strikes a chord with me as well. I've always struggled with my weight. Part of the solution was growing up and realizing that I'll never be tiny. But I sure can stay healthy and be a normal size if I exercise. As far as eating goes, I now eat more than I ever did when I was younger, which has helped me lose weight, I think. I've also given up on diets. I tried the south beach a few weeks back and within two days, realized it wasn't going to work. I have still cut out simple carbs and eat more protein, but I'm very conscious of my need for carbs and healthy food overall. Besides, I don't think I could give up beer or ice cream anyway.

Edited by Whit 2004-05-04 2:41 PM
2004-05-05 9:12 AM

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Subject: RE: New Forum!
Oh yah -- the coughing and hacking.  A memory now.  Isn't it great to be out for a run, feeling good, knocking off a few miles and you're breathing better than when you sat in a chair smoking those weeds?!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Forum! Rss Feed