General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Shopping: Need help spending my money Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-10 4:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Burbs north of Chicago
Subject: Bike Shopping: Need help spending my money

I think I am going to take the plunge.  I found a really good reliable LBS.  I prefer to buy through the LBS rather than the internet unless the price difference is outrageous but it doesn't seem to be at all.  I did my first tri last year which was an Olympic distance race on my 20 year old trek touring bike.  I did the 25 mile bike in 1 hour 18 minutes so it wasn't too bad for using an old machine.  I am looking to do a half ironman race this year.  They are pushing me to go for a tri bike instead of a road bike.  This seems to make sense in that I don't do much group riding (i.e. none last year) and the sole reason I'm really buying this bike is for triathlons.  The only downside seems to me is that if I were to slowdown from my current pace and just want to ride for the sake of riding instead of triathlons then maybe I will wish I had a good road bike instead of a tri-bike.  That just seems convoluted to buy for what might happen in the future instead of what I know is happening now.  Anyway, on Thursday, I will test ride:

2006 Felt S32:  price at shop is $1,388 but they are at $1,279 on their own website which I’m pretty sure they will match.  http://www.feltracing.com/06/06_triathlon/s32/

2006 Cervelo Dual:  $1,900 with Dura-Ace, $1,650 with Ultegra  http://www.cervelo.com/bikes.aspx?bike=Dual2006

2005 Cervelo Dual:  $1,500  I’ll have to check but I’m almost sure this is with Ultegra.

2006 Quintana Roo Kilo:  $1,900  http://www.rooworld.com/bikes/2006/kilo.aspx

I have liked everything I have read about Felts so if I am going to spend close to $2k then I might have him show me the next level of Felt also.

I know this is pretty much up to me, but I just thought it might be interesting to read some comments.

Thanks!!!

2006-01-10 7:04 PM
in reply to: #320867

Regular
Buffalo,NY
Subject: RE: Bike Shopping: Need help spending my money
On that price range you want check the felt t23 , which look prety good to me .
2006-01-10 9:23 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
The Dual is one of the most aero, best spec'd rides under $2k.  You honestly can't go wrong with the Cervelo...assuming it suits your personal geometry.  One of the other makes might very well be a better match to your dimensions.  This is where a qualified LBS is a big benefit.  Ride all of them, have them do a preliminary fitting/measurement and ask which they would suggest based on your body.
2006-01-10 11:41 PM

Champion
For what it's worth, after two years of riding my tri-specific bike, I ended up selling my road bike. I thought I'd keep it for club rides, riding centuries, general riding, etc. I must have been delusional. Even though I've given up the convenience of the STI shifters for the ones on the ends of the aero bars, I'm still happy. It is a bit of a hassle when you have to sit for a moment on a climb, shift, then stand again, but I don't mind. To be honest, I think on average I gained about 1 mph with the tri bike on my overall speed. I still ride about the same speed as I did 20 years ago, and I'm pushing 60 now.

Edited by max 2006-01-10 11:42 PM
2006-01-11 12:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
I have a '78 Peugeot that I did my first 1/2 on. Bought a Specialized Elite Transition this summer and ended up changing all the parts out to DA after 7 sprints. Loved the bike before the upgrade and it is even better now.

I live in a really hilly area with great rides. But I wanted a TRI specific bike for racing but after changing in/out casettes a couple of times from 11/23 to 12/25 and 12/27 for training I decided I needed a climber/road bike as well. I could have "lived" with the Transition and a 11/23 with some effort and did for 6 months. The Transition is great for every day riding with the right gear set..just not the easiest-best ride possible IMO.

Did some research and spent some time on the 'net and Ebay. Ended up with spending $2001.59 for the frame and all the better parts (DA components and AM Classic wheels for a bike that would easily retail for dbl that. Add the $100 charged by the local BS to put it together. (what a deal BTW for assembly, adjustment and wheel trueing) ) It was worth the time on Ebay.

I may not be a whole lot faster on the new bikes but it is a whole lot easier to pedal them.
Not to mention the fact that a new bike should get you out more That should be a good thing.
2006-01-11 10:56 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
For the Dual, the only difference between the Ultegra and the DA one is the derrailleurs, which is NOT worth the $250 difference ......... if you buy the Dual, get the Ultegra one. The DA model seems like a waste to me.

2006-01-11 12:41 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
The 2006 Dual is probably Ultegra 10 speed right? Is the 2005? I guess I could just look it up. Anyway, something to consider.

Jen
2006-01-11 12:49 PM

Master
Colorado
As the owner of a Dual, I gotta tell you I love the thing. Cervelo makes a great bike. I can't knock the QR either, but all things being equal I like the Cervelo (I've ridden both). As far as the diff between DA and Ultegra 10, there isn't much. In fact I have heard from several different bike shops that the increase in reliability of Ultegra far outweighs any weight savings to be gained from DA. I have Ultegra 9 on my Dual, and Ultegra 10 on my road bike. There is a slight noticable difference between U9 and DA. However, with the improvements made to U10, I cannot tell the difference between it and DA.
2006-01-11 6:46 PM
in reply to: #321507

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
They also have different wheels and different base bars.  The Limited Edition Ultegra Dul has Shimano R550 wheels and the DA model has Velomax Vista wheels.  Not sure how those 2 wheels are different though.

Daremo - 2006-01-11 11:56 AMFor the Dual, the only difference between the Ultegra and the DA one is the derrailleurs, which is NOT worth the $250 difference ......... if you buy the Dual, get the Ultegra one. The DA model seems like a waste to me.
2006-01-11 7:57 PM
in reply to: #321982

Master
Colorado

TH3_FRB - 2006-01-11 7:46 PM They also have different wheels and different base bars.  The Limited Edition Ultegra Dul has Shimano R550 wheels and the DA model has Velomax Vista wheels.  Not sure how those 2 wheels are different though.

Daremo - 2006-01-11 11:56 AMFor the Dual, the only difference between the Ultegra and the DA one is the derrailleurs, which is NOT worth the $250 difference ......... if you buy the Dual, get the Ultegra one. The DA model seems like a waste to me.

The Velomax Vista is the wheelset that Cervelo used interchangeably on the '04 Dual with the Ritchey DS Pro's.  I have the Ritchey's on my Dual.  I also have the Shimano R550's on my road bike.  Assuming the Ritchey's are roughly the equivalent of the Velomax...the Shimano's are a much nicer wheelset.  Lower spoke count, bladed spokes, smoother hubs, etc.  It is a noticable difference.

2006-01-12 8:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Burbs north of Chicago

Just want to thank all of you for your thoughtful replies.  These are really helpful.  I go for the test rides today so I'm anxious to see how they feel.  My reply to a couple of your comments

Brouillard:  Yes, I think you are right.  I like the Felt idea so if I'm going to spend that much I should put them on an equal playing field.  That said, I'm still going to test ride the S32 because with my lesser experience it will be interesting to see if I can tell the difference with the more expensive bikes.

TH3_FRB:  I was hoping you would respond to this thread, you always have good info.  Interestingly, the LBS feels like my build is generic enough that they can fit me to any of these bikes.  However, my "feel" will be important.  Also, your post on the difference in the wheels is something I noticed too.

Max:  Definitely helpful, I'm nervous about going the tri-bike route but I haven't met anyone that has a story about how disappointed they are that they went that way.  Then again maybe they are not hanging out on BT if they are in that camp?

Nob:  I am envious but I really don't think I have the knowledge to pull all that off.

Daremo:  Totally agree, if the only difference was the Ultegra v. the DA but there seems to more than that.  However, if the wheel difference is slight or in favor of the Shimano's then that is probably a no brainer for me.

Jeng:  Good point, I'm pretty sure they are both Ultegra 10 speed but I should confirm.

Stake:  Very helpful to hear from another person so pleased with their Cervelo.  I came into this with a pre-disposition to Felt's but I didn't initially even realize Cervelo had a bike like this at this price point.  On your last post about the wheels, it seems weird to me that the lesser priced bike would have a better wheelset.  I will definitely ask about that one and let you know what the LBS has to say.

So there you go, not one reply that didn't offer something.  I really appreciate it everyone!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Shopping: Need help spending my money Rss Feed