General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training plan selection and general approach Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-10 8:00 PM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Subject: Training plan selection and general approach

Hey y'all!  I could use a little help from the experts in selecting a training plan.  My background does not include any experience in competitive swimming, biking, or running.  I've completed a 1500 swim race and a sprint tri (750m/20K/5K) and have been actively training (albeit without much purpose) for the past 8 or 9 months.  I haven't had injury problems (knock on wood) and don't have weight to lose. 

My goal is to finish the OLY distance at the Lifetime Fitness Triathlon on 7/15/06.  It would seem logical to select something like the Olympic 2x Balanced 20 week since I'm a novice in all three disciplines and since I have lots of time between now and the race.  It'll also give me a chance to get some swim coaching in before the plan actually starts.  Does this selection make sense to you?

OK, so say I select that plan.  How would you go about the training?  It seems that I should be concentrating on Base building.  Sould I be doing that the duration of the training plan or should I, as books like Joe Friel's "Bible" suggests, make the 20 weeks fit the pattern of periodization where I go through all the phases.  I'm not looking to do anything other than finish and feel good about doing so.  That's not to say that I'm going to slack at it but I have no time expectations.

Second, is sitting on a spin bike a suitable substitute?  Here in the North it'll probably be April before I can get out consistently for rides.  I also don't have the $$ for a trainer now.  Maybe next winter.

I guess that's about all for now.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Tom 

2006-01-11 7:32 AM
in reply to: #320990

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Training plan selection and general approach

A lot depends on your goals and how much you want to get the most out of your training.  If you want to get in better overall condition, and finish your triathlon in July, the free 2x (or any of the others) will be good.  Just follow the times and keep the effort low-no speedwork or anything.  You can build-in your own drills into the times (swimming for example) from the posts or articles or other sources to improve form.  My plans don't necessarily have periodization (cycling intensity with volume) as they are pretty basic and not really needed if all you want to do is get into better shape and finish a tri regardless of time.

Now, the other option is to do the Silver/Gold plans where drills and periodization are a very important part of them.  There is no guesswork, you do what the workout tells you.  These plans will allow you to get the maximum benefit out of the time you put in.

Just to go  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=629 , select the level and look at the 'first two week details' of all the plans you may be interested in to see exactly what they include workout/timewise.  Also the calendar view is good to see the amount of training time per week for the entire plan.

2006-01-11 7:53 AM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Thanks for the information, Ron.  I'd looked at the Performance Member plans and what seems most appropriate for me is the Olympic 2X Balanced 20 week.  It seems most of the Silver plans are either sprint, Du, HIM, IM, or are only 12 weeks for an Olympic and designed for an experienced triathlete.  I like the specificity of these plans (takes some of the guesswork out for me) but, again, it doesn't seem like most are appropriate for me.  Thoughts?

FYI, I will be some level of a performance member.  The features are too good to pass up for the price.

Thanks!

Tom

2006-01-11 8:05 AM
in reply to: #321215

User image

Champion
Gold member

Another option, with your current condition, you may also be able to start midway into the 7-10 hour winter maintenance, then follow with a 12 week oly - if you want the specificity of workouts.  Mike Ricci recommends the maintenance followed by the actual race plan (12 week) for best performance.  Figure out what week to start the maintenace on to follow up with the 12 week to correspond to race day then look at the 'calendar' times of the particular week of the winter maintence to which you would be jumping into...is it doable?  Remember, if your run is not up to par, you can also do a portion of it using the run/walk method.

Just some thoughts...I'm sure others can chime in as they have used all of the plans discussed in some form or or another.

2006-01-11 12:30 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
For my first OD I used Mike Ricci's beginner 12 week plan - it worked out really well and I would highly recommend it. As well, the support that you can recieve from Mike is a huge benefit and allows you to get the most of the plan within your own skills and abilities.

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training plan selection and general approach Rss Feed