General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition issue/ Drinking problem Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-11 1:41 AM

Subject: Nutrition issue/ Drinking problem
I've got kind of a weird problem that I need some help with. I am having a hard time staying hydrated, more specifically retaining water. I drink between 3-5 liters of water along with a little gatorade, multi-vitamin, 3 good sensible meals with a snack or 2, I've really cut my caffine intake and still the water just runs through me. Then during my workouts I start to feel dehydrated. ( I do take in some fluids during) I really just can't figure this out.

Some other considerations...I am in the desert right now, but the temps are quite mild right now. I thought at first is was antibiotics I was taking, but I've been off those for over two weeks with no improvement. I feel like my salt intake is adequate and I've even started adding salt to my meals. But still I've been "going" more then my 3 month old...I've been active all my life and never had this issue before.

Any suggestions? Am I missing something obvious? Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks for the help in advance

Rob

2006-01-11 4:33 PM
in reply to: #321118

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Nutrition issue/ Drinking problem
There are worse problems to have!

3-5 liters per day may be adequate (maybe not, even in mild desert climates). As long as your urine is more clear than yellow, you are probably getting enough.

Are you drinking it a liter at a time? Small quantities all the time? Your body may not be able to absorb a large amount taken in at once. We were going to be hiking without access to water, so I drank a quart and refilled my bottle and spent the next 2 hours under pressure so to speak. Seems the same with coffee. I'm OK with 2 cups, but even a half-cup beyond, and I'm standing there thinking "I haven't drank THAT much altogether..."
2006-01-11 9:51 PM

I would suggest checking with your doctor. I have diabetes in my family. Thirst and frequent urination is a symptom I watch for.
2006-01-13 4:38 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Well, when I hit the water like I should I can easily visit the urinal 10+ times a day.  3-5 liters is decent but it really depends on how much you sweat.  It could still be the antibiotics but that shouldn't last much longer.  I'm honestly not sure what to tell you.  Is it possible that everything is fine?  You said that you start to feel dehydrated during workouts...what are your symptoms?
2006-01-13 11:44 PM

Yes, I do sweat alot. Towards the end of workouts I just feel the rundown feeling that you get when you're alittle low on fluids.
2006-01-19 4:53 AM

User image

New user

is it just straight water that you are drinking? Depending on the status of your diet, possibly you could be low on salt and/or glucose, both of whih exert pressure and bind the water molecule, inhibiting it from leaving your system. It might be a simple matter of substituting some sports drink before and during your workouts. (diluted if that works better for you, as switching to full strength right away can disrupt your digestive system, so to speak). That run down feeling you are experiencing could possibly be a dip in blood sugar, which could be alleviated by sid sports drink or the addition of some gu.

2006-01-19 5:50 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
what mamaalexander says makes a lot of sense.

if you are worried about calories (which i'm assuming you might be, since you are posting this in the weigh loss forum), but still want to replace potassium, etc. there is a drink i use called alacer electro-mix (http://www.alacer.com). it doesn't have any sodium, so you'd still need to address that, but it does contain other things that you can get low on when you are dehydrated and workout out. to address the sodium, and also limit calories, having a can of canned soup for lunch or dinner can be (depending on the soup) a low-calorie, low fat, high sodium meal.

one problem i've had lately is fluid loss due to good intake of protein. i've been really good about my protein intake compared to last season (last year i would have spikes of 100+ g of protein, but most days i was getting <90g. now i'm getting 100+ a day). the down side of a good thing is that all that protein tends to flush fluids out. so, i've been trying to get as much in as much water as i can.

btw, in 'sports nutrition for endurance athletes' monique ryan says that coffee isn't as much of a diuretic as once though. beer, on the other hand, is another matter.

anyway, here's some info i found online that was informative (http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psychology/health_psychology/Protein.htm):

A common misconception about excess protein in the diet is that it can cause kidney damage; excess protein cannot cause kidney damage even though it does make the kidneys work harder. When protein is metabolized nitrogen is a by - product; the kidneys work to remove the extra nitrogen from the body. As of yet, no studies have found an high rate of kidney problems in strength athletes as would be expected if too much protein caused kidney damage. Also, Zaragoza et al. (1987) studied animals with very high protein intakes for more than half their life span and found no serious adverse effects.

High intake levels of protein can lead to increased water loss because the body excretes water to dispose of urea, a substance formed in the breakdown of protein. Water loss coupled with the fact that most athletes loose a great amount of water through sweat, can lead to dehydration if fluid intake is not properly monitored. An excess of purified protein can, however, take calcium away from bones, thus predisposing one for osteoporosis.

2006-01-19 6:07 PM
in reply to: #327192

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Good suggestiona Brenna.  Welcome to BT!

mamalexander - 2006-01-19 5:53 AMis it just straight water that you are drinking? Depending on the status of your diet, possibly you could be low on salt and/or glucose, both of whih exert pressure and bind the water molecule, inhibiting it from leaving your system. It might be a simple matter of substituting some sports drink before and during your workouts. (diluted if that works better for you, as switching to full strength right away can disrupt your digestive system, so to speak). That run down feeling you are experiencing could possibly be a dip in blood sugar, which could be alleviated by sid sports drink or the addition of some gu.
2006-01-23 5:52 AM

Thanks all, I think I finally figured it out...I started drinking gatorade in the morning prior to workout. During, I have been drinking accelerade, but I was mixing it pretty weak, I am now mixing close to what the directions say. And finally, I made a few diet changes that have helped. Thanks again all

Rob
2006-01-23 6:44 PM
in reply to: #329756

User image

New user

happy to hear that. Much luck
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition issue/ Drinking problem Rss Feed