General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prepping for hills. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-11 5:00 AM

Subject: Prepping for hills.
Yesterday, in Michigan it was in the 40's, so I threw the bike in the truck and went to the race site for my first Tri coming up in June (Ann Arbor Sprint ). It is 14 miles of very hilly riding! Maybe 2 out of the 14 miles are flat.

I am doing the BT 20 week Sprint - 3X Balanced. Because of the hills, I thought I would make my short bike sessions all hill work, with a little hill work put in the medium sessions also. For the weekly long session, I will pretty much stay with the slow and level, working on fast spinning. I will just be building base up until the race, but with all of the hill requirements, I thought I had better take it into account in my training.

The run is going to be the same, but 5 miles. I have a bad knee problem so I can't do hill work. I am just going to have to do some walking during the race. Where I can, I will try to make it up on the flat sections.

Any input would be appreciated. It was a little demoralizing seeing the course in advance! It is going to be very tough for my first race, but our options here for racing are pretty slim.
p.s. Where you come out of the water, it is a 1/4 mile 10% grade up to level ground. I think we are going to have to ride up that grade right out of the water! Ouch.

2006-01-11 5:19 AM
in reply to: #321129

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Prepping for hills.
You don't give much background, and don't have a training log, so can't give specific advice. However, I would want to caution against doing hill-specific work unless you already have established an adequated base of training, especially if you already have knee issues. You'd be better off putting in more mileage (i.e., Ride Lots!) than subjecting your knees to hill stress without first building some strength.
2006-01-11 7:12 AM
in reply to: #321130

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
100% agree with bear on this one.

Including hills in your workouts is a good thing especially if you are going to have to race in them, but doing hill repeats without a solid base (and good climbing technique) is a recipe for some painful and frustrating workouts.
2006-01-12 9:36 AM
in reply to: #321129

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
I agree with the above.  I understand that you are concerned about the hills on the course but you have a good amount of time to prep (6 months) which should be sufficient for you to concentrate on base (no hills, no tempo, no intervals) for the next 3 months...just concentrate on low intensity volume.  The more intense training won't do you much good without a sufficient base to build on so be patient for now.  If you get your base work in through the winter and early spring you might be able to start adding hills and intervals in the months leading up to the race to build more strength and power.  It also sounds like you live relatively close to the actual course that you'll be racing.  If I were you I'd definitely make a point of riding/running that course a bunch of times this spring (after you have a good base).  I'd love to be able to incorporate the race course into my training plan.  Not sure what your knee issuea are but are you currently on a weight training program?  This is the time of year to get into the weight room and move some iron around to prepare for the build phase of tri training.  Here is one example of a simple but effective weight training program.  Please don't just jump into something like this without first consulting a doctor about your current knee problems.  Squats and lunges may present more risk depending on what your current issues are.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prepping for hills. Rss Feed