General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wheel setup question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-17 11:26 PM

Regular
Dayton, OH
Subject: Wheel setup question
I am building a new TT/Tri bike for the 06 season and had a question about wheels. I am on somewhat of a limited budget now since we just found out my wife is pregnant. Now comes the real responsibility.

I own a few sets of wheels that I was just going to run on the TT bike until next year when I can probably buy a disc and maybe an aero front. I have Ksyriums, Neuvation M28's, Rolf Vector Pros and some junk Alex wheels that came with my road bike. I am running 10 sprint tri's this year, with the courses being 50/50 flat/rolling terrain. I am a top 10% agegrouper. The TT's I ride in are a few local courses and are 90/10 flat/rolling. Now, I have had some people tell me to just find a super deep rear wheel and run the Rolf up front this year. They say it's close to the disc aero wise and isn't that much of a difference for the cost(I'm looking at a used Stinger for <200 vs a used disc for 350+). They can't really back up their claims though except talking about the deep wheel being lighter for climbs than a disc.

So, my question is, would running a 90mm deep rear and a Rolf Vector be anywhere close to a Disc and a Rolf Vector? Factor in cost of ~200 vs ~400.

Thanks for your time.

2006-01-18 6:50 AM
in reply to: #326303

User image

Giver
Subject: RE: Wheel setup question

I think it'd be close, but from what I've read, if you're going to buy one aero wheel, buy a front wheel first. From what I've read, the front wheel has more of an impact on increasing the aerodynamic characteristics of a bike than does the rear wheel. The front encounters the wind first, while the rear is sheilded somewhat all of the "stuff" in front of it (seat tube, rider's legs, etc.).

This is from the HED web site FAQ:

"Q. I can only afford one wheel, so which should it be?

A. The front wheel breaks the wind first, so this is the most important of the two. In certain conditions, a front wheel will save twice as much as the rear. However, it also depends on the model of wheel, because a rear disc will provide at least as much performance as any other aero design on the front."

So, at least in HED's opinion, get a front, unless you're going to get a rear disc. 

Edited by run4yrlif 2006-01-18 6:52 AM
2006-01-18 6:59 AM
in reply to: #326303

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-01-18 3:09 PM
in reply to: #326373

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
I don't buy that a disc will be a hinderance on a hilly course. If the course is mountainous, then yes, but otherwise, the savings of the disc more than make up for the increased weight.

I fully plan on riding my disc next year at Placid.
2006-01-18 6:33 PM
in reply to: #326898

Master
portland, or
I agree. First with the comment that if you're only going to have one aero wheel, make it the front wheel unless it's a disk. Even then I wouldn't run a rear disk without a aero front wheel.

As for the disc being a hinderance, it would have to be a very mountainous course and/or extremely windy. I've ridded a disk at IM Canada twice and had no problems with the climbs and the only problem I've had with the wind was due to the tri-spoke up front when practicing descents in 40mph winds.

my $0.02

scott
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wheel setup question Rss Feed