Other Country Forums New Zealand » running the Abel Tasman trail Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-18 1:22 AM

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
Subject: running the Abel Tasman trail
hello, fellow kiwi triathloners -

my GF and i are going to check out your Islands come this February, (with the intention of relocating there, if things turn out what we imagine them to be...) and one of the things we were planning to do is the Abel Tasman trail. itinerary is getting a bit cramped, since i have to spend some time in Christchurch for job interviews, so we thought that we could possibly just run the whole thing in one day.

we both are multiple marathon and IM finishers, so we are in good shape. we found out that there are two crossings that are tide dependant - but there should be water taxis for hire. we know that sandflies will be a menace.

we'd like to know about anything that we couldn't have thought about, especially something that would make our plan of running the trail infeasible.

we were thinking about running from Marahau to Totaranui - about 23 miles according to our research. we can cover that distance in a day without a problem if the trail is runnable throughout, a few hours of wait for water taxis included.

any input is appreciated!

Edited by awol 2006-01-18 1:25 AM

2006-01-19 12:24 AM
in reply to: #326327

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Zealand
Subject: RE: running the Abel Tasman trail
Hey there awol, sorry I don't know any thing specific to the Abel Tasman trail, but I have just come back from Christchurch and will be putting some photos on my album in the next day or so, if you want some motivation )  Hope it all works out well for you

Kelly
2006-01-19 3:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Hi Awol,

I haven't done it myself but the next major track down that way which I can recommend is the Queen Charlotte Walkway which you get a water taxi out to and make your way back to Picton. This can also be done on a MTB.

I thought the Abel Tasman was actually a route done by Sea Kayak so had a look in the Lonely Planet Tramping (Hiking) guide to NZ.

According to the book there are two tracks the Coastal track and the inland track, I assume you are talking about the Coastal Track which takes between 3 and 5 days to complete.

I would suggest getting hold of a copy of that book as it details the track stage by stage, if you misstime the tide between Marahau & Torrent bay this will add another 90mins to your run.

The final part from Awaroa Bay to Totaranui can only be crossed two hours either side of low tide and there is no all-tidal by pass on this section.

Hope this helps, Cheers Guy

2006-01-19 6:43 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
thanks for the replies. yes, i'm talking about the Coastal Track.
most of the necessary info is on www.doc.govt.nz. (you Kiwis got some excellent websites!)

what i haven't found out is the following:

- how available are water taxis and how much do they charge? can we rely on one being around
if the tide is too high to wade?

- how much of a menace are the sandflies around there during February?

- is there any cell phone coverage along the trail?

the Queen Charlotte trail is also on the plan. but that one we'll walk, not run
2006-01-22 3:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Auckland
I would plan on their not being any cell phone coverage on the trail. The last time I did the Queen Charlotte there was no signal until you get close to Picton. Sandflies haven't really been a problem as long as you have some good bug spray.
New Thread
Other Country Forums New Zealand » running the Abel Tasman trail Rss Feed