General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Sprint Tips Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-04 10:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Subject: First Sprint Tips

A bunch of BT folks have done their very first triathlon and many are going to do the first Sprint triathlon within the next few weeks. Here's where you can help us out. For those of you who have done the first one. What is the number one bit of advice you would give to newbies?  Is there anything you would do differently...  a number one tip?

For those of you who are close to your first event. What is your number one anxiety? Let's mix it up here - this is where BT folk can really help move this community along!

2004-05-04 10:45 PM
in reply to: #22947

User image

Veteran
Columbus, GA
Subject: RE: First Sprint Tips
Just finished my first last weekend.

#1 tip - take some cheap flip flops for getting around before the race - be psychologically prepared to lose them. This silly piece of advice comes from walking around taking pictures and moving stuff to and from the transition area and getting tender feet before the race.

More meaningful tip - figure out how to peak at the right time. I peaked early and laid off training before the race and didn't do as well as I might have. I am still proud of my race, though and am planning the next one now!
2004-05-05 4:25 AM

User image

Walla Walla, WA
take your time on your transitions. It's better to dry off for 15 seconds then to get a massive rash.

Run a mental checklist before each transition of everything you're about to do during the last 5-8 minutes of your swim and bike.

Race your own pace. If you take it a little easier than you could have, you'll know a lot more for next time, and you'll still have a lot of fun. If you go too hard, you might have a hard time finishing, and end up not having fun at all.

good luck everyone. I'm racing myself, although I think my shoulder is really messed up from my crash. I'm not sure if I'll be ready to swim.
-S
2004-05-05 8:09 AM

Veteran
Keller, TX

Tip - practice transitions.  Even if you aren't changing shoes, etc., know what you are going to do.  Look at what you will be doing to go from the water to the transition area.  Practice going from wet feet to dry to socks to shoes, etc.  You can do this at home before the race.

Anxiety - what's that?  Really, relax and enjoy it, especially if it is a first time thing.  Check out the other athletes - a lot of them are just glad to be there, they aren't a bunch of overcompetitive muscle heads.  Talk to them while you are waiting to swim, talk to them on the run, but just relax and think of it as a little more formal training session.  If you get too keyed up, you won't be able to set your pace.  Stay with what feels good - the adrenaline will get you going at a stronger pace and you won't even be aware of it - but really, RELAX!!

2004-05-05 11:43 AM

You may feel a little off balance when you first stand up at the end of the swim (I did). Standing still for just few seconds will help a whole lot. This enabled me to not walk lopsided toward the T1 area!

I know you asked for one! But I have to add --- check out (walk through) the entire area and look at the entrance & exit for swim, bike and run. While doing that, check for glass or other debris on the exit or entrance roads and ask volunteers to sweep it up. There was a lot of glass on one of my races, and it was cheerfully cleaned up.

2004-05-05 12:10 PM

User image

I would get a good idea of what the Bike and Race courses are like far in advance as possible. Some courses are really hilly, and if you don't get hill work into your Bike and Run training, you will struggle... as I did. And Remember "Some Rolling Hills" - really means severe "Enormous Hills the entire race" Also the day before the race try to get on the course (if you can) to see what your in for.

Actually, I would incorporate hilly conditions into your training either way, it will make you a better runner and biker.

Lastly - Run your own race. Don't worry about keeping up with anyone else. Stay in your element. You'll probably get passed and you'll probably pass others. Just finishing your first Tri  is a great accomplishment.

GOOD LUCK

2004-05-05 8:52 PM

Extreme Veteran
I finished my first mini-tri in March and my second one on Sunday. I was practically hyperventilating before the swim on the first, and was too cold to even get nervous before the second one. I know it is easy to say "Don't get too nervous;" I just don't have any good advice about how to stop the nerves. Just believe that your training was adequate: the swim is short, but totally do-able; the bike is long, but totally do-able; the run will be fine, and totally do-able.

My tip? If you have no idea how to set your bike up in the transition area, get there early. I had no idea how to rack my mountain bike and somebody helped me (I couldn't have figured it out on my own). I had to have somebody else bring my bike to the race, and of course, they were late. I had 15 minutes to figure it all out before they were closing the transition area so that really added to my stress level. Somebody had racked their bike in the wrong rack (not leaving room for my bike) so we had to get race officials over to help sort it out. Very stressful. I'm the type who considers herself late if I'm not really early to everything, so my advice is to get there early, have a race official help you figure out how to rack your bike, take an end position, lay everything out, and then clear your mind.

A last note, I think a lot more real newbies were competing on the second mini-tri (Sunrise series, Shreveport, LA) than the first (Athens, TX). I noticed that in Athens, people were a lot more encouraging. Almost everyone who passed me on the bike shouted words of encouragement: "Keep Going, You're doing fine, Lookin' good," that sort of thing that a newbie needed to hear. At this race, nobody shouted things like that. I did when I passed racers on the bike, and when I passed a runner, I told her that she was making it look too easy (a line somebody threw at me in Athens and it perked my spirits). So another thought? Encourage other racers; it will really add to your and their experiences.

2004-05-05 9:11 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

My big surprise at my first sprint was that people went wild in the transition area, and all of my carefully laid out stuff was not carefully laid out when I arrived.  Someone tossed their wetsuit onto my stuff and it was scattered.  At my next race, I put stuff in a bag!! Grabbing stuff out of it was faster than searching around and getting frustrated.

Jen

2004-05-05 10:32 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN

Malvey,

Great idea for a thread, especially since my first sprint is June 12th.  So I don't have any tips but I will answer the second part of your question.  My anxiety comes with the swim.  I am not worried about open water, maybe I should be but I grew up swimming in lakes and ponds and I don't think I was in a pool until my High School got one my sophomore year.  Now I haven't been in open water in a couple of years but they drained my lake to fix the dam, which I guess is a good thing eh?  I am also not worried about the start and splashing and everything that goes on, for I am just wanting to finish and have fun, I won't be the one in front getting run over. 

My fear is 500 yards.  Yes that is right, 500 yards.  I used to swim like a fish for hours, now I am going to the pool and trying to learn how to swim like a fish ( TI ).  I think the pool is a mental thing with me.  When I get to the wall I talk myself into stopping ALL THE FREAKIN TIME !!!.    I am up to doing sets of 200's with usually 50-75 yds of breast stroke but that was a big hurdle for me.  Now honestly I think if I am in a lake and see a bouy that I can make it there and back but in a pool the side is too enticing to me.  Just a quick breath turns into a 30 sec rest or even 45 sec's at times.  I know that I am mentally strong in the bike and run but very weak in the swim and that is the start of the race.  I would do better if it were the end of the race.  Just thought I would add my anxiety here.

2004-05-05 11:08 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Well a few weeks ago I was afraid that I would not be ready for my first race. I had been batteling a chest cold for a month off and on. Now with my first race on May 16, my biggest fear seems weird to me. I am parinod that I will get hurt at work, playing with the kids, driving in my car, etc. and miss my race. The up side is my training is getting a little more invigorating (with in the guidlines of my scedual). Thank the Lord for spring, it makes all the winter work worth it.

2004-05-05 11:15 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Just did my first sprint last Sunday.

Prepare, prepare, prepare.

I am a list person.  Make a checklist of everything you want to bring, and sort it by pre-race, swim, bike, run, and misc/general.  Use it to pack/repack your tri bag.  Use it before you go out the door to the race. Use it to set up your transition area.  And if you need to, use it during the transitions.  When I get nervous/anxious, I tend to forget things, or get rattled.  This list helped me alot.

The swim.  Be prepared to get mauled in the water.  May not happen, but if you encounter alot of contact, be prepared to regroup, catch your breath, and continue.  Continuuing may mean some breatstroke or backstroke if you get overtired/rattled.  Prcatice some alternate swim styles.  I flopped over and swam backstroke for awhile during my race so I could breath more and calm down during the swim.

The bike.  Inflate your tires the night before, but bring a pump and recheck them the day of the race.  If you have removed your front tire to transport the bike, actually ride the back after putting the tire back on to make sure everything is proper.  I have a bike computer that did not work during the race since I put the tire on backwards and the sensor was on the wrong side.  That was a bummer.  Go hard on the bike.  I think it is the segment that you can make up the most time for a given amount of effort.  Hydrate as much as possible on the bike.  If you wait until T2 it may be too late.

The run. I would say start a little easy the first 1/4 mile till your legs adjust.  Then crank it up and try to finish each mile faster than the last.

Overall.  Have a great time.  That's what it's all about.

Dan

Edited by dhyte 2004-05-05 11:16 PM

2004-05-05 11:42 PM

New user

Winnipeg, MB
If I were to give any tips for someone about to do their first tri it would have to be . . . HAVE FUN. You will hopefully have many more races to improve transitions, pace better in the swim, etc, etc, etc.

If the "have fun" advice was not what you had in mind . . . I would suggest taking the extra 10 seconds and using a towel before trying to put on your cycling jersey. During my first race, I wasted a good few minutes as I did (what my wife described as) an incredibly amusing dance thing trying to pull a dry shirt on a wet body. The extra few seconds to dry off would have been so much better than the strait jacket dance that I did!

Just a thought.

Grant
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Sprint Tips Rss Feed