General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm super frustrated...any ideas? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-19 8:16 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: I'm super frustrated...any ideas?

I am keeping a strict log of the food I eat to share with my coach Will for a week. I finally put in the nutrition information on my spreadsheet and calculated totals. I've been eating 1450-1890 calories a day and NOT losing weight. Now this major sucks....consider I work out at least an hour a day....at 600 calories/hour conservative. Could my resting metabolism be 1100 calories...geez not at my weight? What Gives? Friday I'm emailing my very detailed excel spreadsheet to my coach Will for his help. This week I think I have eaten more than I normally do...what does that mean? Do I need to eat more? I was surprised at how low the numbers were ...I thought I'd be over 2200 calories a day.

After following the Paleo diet since November, I have been a bit looser, and have been also eating lower glycemic foods like beans, 100% whole grain bread (very little), and my nemesis’s baked pita chips.

For those of you who don’t know me, since 4/03 I have lost about 75 pounds and have been around the same weight +/-7 pounds for the last 18 months or so. In the last 18 months, I workout more, very consistently which I didn’t do before, and my diet has improved…removed bad fat, eat leaner meats, more vegys and fruit.

Yesterday my calorie break down was as follows which is pretty typical:

Calories 1544, Protein 114.5 grams, Carbs 170.4 grams (44%), Fat 38.5 grams (22%)

Anyone have any thoughts? Suggestions?

2006-01-19 8:34 AM
in reply to: #327258

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: I'm super frustrated...any ideas?

Kathy, I put something in your log before reading this.  Now that I read this...I think you need more calories.  I'm not sure how much, but I think you need more.  have you thought about having your RMR tested?

I will be interested to see what Will has to say about all of this.  I think it is fine for you to eat lentils, 100% whole wheat bread (small amounts), brown rice and oatmeal, but it has to be in relation to your workouts.  It really needs to be in that 2 hour post workout window.

I don't know why it has to be this hard for some of us.  I am convinced there has to be some sub-theraputic hormone level or something going on with some of us.  People who say that you cannot lose weight tri training...well I don't believe that...it's aerobic effort, for the most part, and there is no reason that you shouldn't be losing weight.  It really should not have to be this hard!  All I can say is that I understand...

2006-01-19 9:23 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Thanks for your ideas!

I do only eat processes carbs right before or after workouts.

Where do you guys get your metabolism tested? I have heard of the pod method...where else can you get it done?

I did go to Nancy Clark a sports nutritonist who basically said calories are the only thing to consider to lose weight and I need to makeh good food choices...no consideration that certain type of carbs send my insulin spiking. See food as fuel.

2006-01-19 9:27 AM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Kathy, I hear your frustration loud and clear...I'd feel it, too, in your situation!  I'm sure that Will of Tri-Hard will have some good advice.  My only suggestions are to make sure you're really drinking a lot of water and eating a lot of veggies.  1-2 cups of raw veggies make good snacks and you should probably be getting 2-3 cups per day total for all of their nutrients and low-cal fibery goodness.  If you eat and drink that much good stuff, maybe the pita chips will be less tempting?

I'll check in later and see what you hear from Will...good luck!

-Sunny

2006-01-19 10:33 AM
in reply to: #327318

User image

Extreme Veteran

"no consideration that certain type of carbs send my insulin spiking. See food as fuel."

That doesn't give me a lot of confidence in her!  I think the problem is much more complex than that!  If fuel is fuel, then why does my car prefer gasoline to diesel?

I'm so @*%@ sick and tired of people giving pat answers to complex problems, I could scream!  There is a cookie cutter formula that works for most people, but not all people.  Currently, I am convinced that it is up to me to figure it out because no healthcare  provider is going to figure it out in their allotted 10 minutes in the room with me! 

...sorry I'm a little hot today...I ate a Chick-fil-A sandwich yesterday, stayed well within my calories, and I am up 8 pounds today from 2 days ago!

2006-01-19 10:54 AM

User image

Kathy, I honestly don't think you're eating enough calories. I down anywhere from 2000-2100 calories a day (i'm 194 lbs), and I tend to lose weight best when I eat that much and only work out 4 times a week. As soon as I add another workout or two, my weight loss stalls (signalling I'm not eating enough). I find I have to add an extra snack on those days or else I become ravenous... and I won't lose weight otherwise!

Seriously.. if you're working out at least an hour a day, you should consider eating more calories. You're only about 14 pounds less than me.. so I find it hard to believe that you would lose weight eating under 1800 calories daily. Your protein and carbs look good though.. your fat may be a little on the low side, but that may go up if/when you up your calories.

On another note, stress does interesting things to the body. If you're stressing about your weight a ton, you may not lose it simply because of that stress. I know you've come a REALLY long way (and big kudos to you!). That last little bit will come: just take it easy, enjoy your training, enjoy your FOOD.. enjoy life, and the rest should fall into place.

Just my thoughts....

Edited by Vaiza 2006-01-19 10:55 AM

2006-01-19 10:56 AM

User image

Pro
MA

A few things that I can think of...

1.  not enough calories, which puts your body to "starving mode".  Your body does not understand the concept of "going on diet" and for survival, lowers your rate of metabolism.

2.  More likely, you're gaining muscle mass.  Does your clothes feel looser?  Don't get obssess with the number.  You're heathy and fit enough to do tris.  Be proud 

2006-01-19 11:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
I think sunnys has the right idea. Fill over half your plate with veggies or fruit each time you eat. Also, Are you working out at a high enough intensity? Or maybe too high an intensity all the time?
I think I've shared here b/f that I was spinning 6-8 hrs a week. Great shape for my heart, but not losing an ounce. I stopped spinning, switched to the elliptical and - tada - awesome results after 1 month. I just worked out at a much lower intensity for 1 month. How 'bout them apples? I must say, I also went on Weight Watchers. When I added up my caloric intake, it was somewhere between 1200 - 1750. So, I'm not super sure I buy the "not enough calories" but I know there is scientific validity to it. SO, in that first case, I worked out at about 50% of my max HR for a couple months, ate 1200-1750 calories a week and got down to my size 6's. It took 5 months.

I got pregnant again and I'm back at square one.I'm 5'5", at 167 (today!)I'm in the same boat as you, but, again I must say my intensity in my workouts is right up there, maybe too high once again. I am seeing progress, but it's taking a helluva lot of time. I eat a pretty healthy diet of about 1750 calories. Seeing very, very slow progress. 1 -2 lbs lost per month.

One last thing, I do not drink anything but water and black coffee. (well, and wine). But, if you are a diet soda drinker, or diet flavored water (aspartamane is EVIL!! for weight loss). Also, are you getting enough sleep? If you aren't getting a healthy amt, your body's metabolism will slow down.
Maybe get your VO2 tested, see how many calories you burn a day and go from there. We all know we have to burn more than we eat to lose. It's a pretty simple concept. Maybe you're burning real slow! I know that would be depressing news to hear, but I get that you are feeling like you need a real, solid, on-paper answer.
Hang in there. You are not alone! I am waiting for a miracle formula to magically come to me in my dreams so I know what the heck I'm doing wrong.
2006-01-19 6:16 PM

I'm in the exact same position! I've been working my booty off and I've been stuck at a a 98lbs weight loss. People keep telling me eat more calories...but it scares the heck out of me to eat more...if you figure out how to break through, let me know!!
2006-01-20 5:59 AM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio

I also think your calories are low.  I found a good nutrition site - a little scientific, and some of it is over my head, but here is a link to an article that walks you through  calculating your caloric needs based on RMR & activity level.  http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/masseating_1.htm

I made a little chart for my desk with a maintenance, -10%, & -20% so I know on a daily basis how many calories I should get based on what I did for the day.  I try to keep my calories between -20 and maintenance because I don't want to lose much weight, but have quite a bit of bodyfat to lose.  I tend to lose muscle mass rather than fat and am trying to be very careful in my diet right now. 

Good luck, I know how frustrating this all can be!

Tammy

2006-01-20 6:52 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
oye, I remember my 8 months on a 1200 calorie a day diet. Worst 8 months of my life, period. Cranky, annoyed, tired, hungry, and STILL FAT! When I mentioned this to the Dr., "oh you must not be working hard enough"..... I hope Will is supportive and not dismissive like my stupid endo. *grumble grumble* stupid health care *grumble grumble*

But I think you're also to be commended for taking the initiative to chart that stuff out!!! Holy moses, I wish I was that dedicated.

2006-01-20 7:39 AM
in reply to: #327958

User image

Veteran
Seattle, WA
Kathy,

I just finished reading Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes by Monique Ryan - a book I would highly recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1931382158/qid=1137763676/sr=8-1/r...

She recommends going no lower than a 300-500/day calorie deficit (I used the software program CalorieKing to log food and activity...it calculates this figure for me). Any lower she says can result in a self-defeating lowering of your metabolism (aka "starvation mode" others have mentioned).

The plan she recommends specifically for athletes is 300/day deficit 6 days a week, with a 0 decifit (no surplus either!) on your recovery day. That will result in about a 1/2 pound loss per week. I am following this plan and it's working well for me. I have good energy, I'm not hungry or feeling deprived, and I am losing slowly.

Good luck and hang in there!
- Heidi
2006-01-20 7:50 AM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Hi Kathy! WOw on the 75lbs, that is just amazing and great work! You've got some good suggestions, and as someone who can maintain like a banshee (4 years now) but not lose that last 10lbs I've studied a lot - here's some more ideas...

1. Are you measuring and weighing everything? I read that even people who log food religiously tend to underestimate quantities and a lot of extra calories sneak in there. Also, I've been logging food for 3 years and I still 'forget' that I had a bite of this, finished my son's pbj crusts, etc. It's hard to get it just right. I maintain on 1500 calories logged, but I suspect I am eating more than I am logging because that just seems low to me.

2. I'm not sure how old you are, but since I hit my 40s my metabolism has gone south...It has to do with the way hormones affect your pituitary or something, but the fact is it's harder to lose the older we get.

3. Have you had thyroid checked? That can be a culprit sometime, and again can be related to hormones.

4. Oprah says that adding weight training is what did it for her, and she looks great lately!

5. When our bodies experience stress, they hold onto food thinking that they could be facing famine. Body doesn't know how to differentiate what kind of stress even tho' mind justifies it, the body does it's own thing.

My best guess is that you may need to eat a bit more and relax a bit more...good advice for me, too I bet!

Keep us posted, a lot of us can use the advice that works!

Annabanana
2006-01-20 9:37 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Thanks everyone!

I have thought I should get my thyroid checked. I have classic symptoms...dry skin, losing my hair (hate this), and something else I have forgotten. I did have it checked maybe a year -year and a half ago since I had the same thought.

I have added strength training to my workouts since October. For the last 2 months I have been doing strength at work on better equipement and see that I'm progressing. My coach has a full body workout he changes ever 4 weeks plus special rotator cuff strength from my PT. I end up doing about 2 hours a week and know that I'm getting stronger since I can do heavier weights now. I enjoy it and look forward to it.

I'm 44 and started losing weight when I was 41. It was so easy in the begining and I was lazy and ate Atkins...much higher fat food, lots of  cheese, and the like.

I'm getting thinner since I can fit into clothes that were too tight.

I do drink diet soda...which I didn't when I first started losing weight. I have to say I have given up so much stuff and eat clean, it is like my one last remaining vice. I never drink, I love bread and don't eat much of it. If you saw what I used to eat before 4/21/03, I don't eat any of that stuff and eat only things I used to avoid before since it is healthy.

The strange and puzzling thing, is why was it so easy when I didn't excercise and now that I work out 7+ hours a week and eat better it is so much more difficult?

What is hard for me to acceptt, is that I have changed my eating and work hard at this, the tradeoff seems a little harsh. Give up a lot and gain (ie lose weight) not much.

2006-01-20 11:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mesa AZ

A marathon-running friend of mine pointed out that there is such a thing as TOO much exercise for weight loss.  She gains when she starts into her real heavy training program.

I really think that you are eating too little and potentially overexercising.  my weight dropped a lot during my taper for my 1/2 mary; I believe it was partially because I kept my eating the same but dropped to 4 workouts per week from 6 or 7. 

I get my RMR tested periodically via the Bodygem device at Bally's - about every 6 months or so.  I think it's an important sanity check. The last time, at 210, it was 1810, which means that it takes that many  just to keep me alive lying in bed all day.  Then add normal life, exercise, etc and it goes up pretty quickly.

I also agree that for the level of exercise we do we really shouldn't run more than a 3-500 calorie deficit.  It may be fine to run 1k deficit when you sit on your butt, but we don't and our bodies are going to figure that out pretty quickly.

I know how hard it is to up in this society - we hear constantly "eat less exercise more" but we aren't the target market for that message.  The couch potatos need to do that.  We need more to make sure that we do eat enough to fuel our exercise without convincing our bodies that we are starving, and I just don't think you are eating enough to do that.

2006-01-20 11:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mesa AZ
p.s. I'm not giving up my diet coke either.  If I stop drinking it I tend to stop drinking entirely and I'm fairly certain that the overall hydration is more important.  Also, the reason people say diet soda is bad is that the sugar can trick you into being hungry and eating more.  If you aren't eating enough, that's hardly an issue.

2006-01-21 6:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Joplin, Missouri
Just by reading your note here- it seems that you may not be eating enough! Hard to chew, I know. But I had the same experience several years ago- and so I (reluctantly) added a few more cals to my diet and zooooom! It worked.

If you're eating 1544 and burning 600- then that technically means you ate 944 calories. Your body probably thinks it's starving.

My husband swears by this program call DietPower (www.dietpower.com) I personally follow Weight Watchers (and have lost 11 pounds since Nov. 1...yes, even through the holidays) and have another weight in today.

Anyways, DietPower really is a great tool- it calculates how many calories you should eat to lose X amount of weight and will change your metabolism and how much can eat based on how much you actually eat and how much you actually lose. But in this program, say you get to eat 1500 cals a day to lose X weight by Y date...if you burn any cals, that gets added to the amount you can eat. Does that make sense??

I didn't take the time to read the other posts...so you may have gotten this info already. Either way- you have done GREAT!! WOW!! And I feel your frustration.
2006-01-22 3:12 PM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Oh yeah - I've been using DietPower for several years and I love it too....super easy and it really does calculate your metabolism from what you eat and what you do. The more you put in the more accurate it gets.

AB
2006-01-22 6:53 PM
in reply to: #329488

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio

I've been using Diet Power for a couple of years now.  It was pretty tedious entering the food that I eat regularly, but after you get through the initial stage, it gives a great overview of nutrition & calories.  At the end of each day, I print out a nutrition summary and enter the totals as a custom meal in BT - That allows me to monitor nutrition in my daily logs.

Tam

Edited by tnickerson 2006-01-22 6:54 PM
2006-01-22 7:13 PM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Hey thanks Tam! I like that idea. I'm still not comfortable with BT's nutrition log, but the fitness log is my favorite. I'm always trying to consolidate data entry and tracking, etc....(sorry to hijack the thread here) AB
2006-01-25 12:15 PM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.

Hey Kathy, I haven't checked in with you for some time but I'm glad to see, like me, that you're still fighting the good fight of weight loss. You know all the basics so I'm assuming that you're exercising in your 60-65% MHR zone because it could be that you've gotten so fit that you're exercising way too high a zone to burn fat. I gained 12 lbs doing just that. I was spending way too much time at 85-90%MHR simply because it felt good to work that hard. Maybe you need to back off a little in intensity.

As for the thyroid, that's a definite possibility. Mine went bad about 20 years ago and the major sympton for me was chronic fatique, but others have more common symptons. Have it and other hormone levels checked along with your blood cortisol level.

Back off, relax, eat very well for a week or two and go back hard with the diet. Sometimes the body senses somethings wrong with your food supply and you need to trick it into believing all is well. Good luck Kathy and hang in there. As our former prez would say, "I feel your pain".

2006-01-25 2:13 PM

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
Just a thought.
How many times a day do you eat? 3 meals, no snacks? or 5-6 small meals?

I find that 5-6 small meals just works better.
I'm less hungry.
I don't tend to over eat.
I actually lose weight better.

The trick is, you can't eat 4-5 small meals a day, and then go home and have a big supper with your family. That will likely defeat the purpose.

They also say that eating this way can speed you metabolizm since the body always has food
coming in, it doesn't enter the starvation mode as easily.
2006-01-25 3:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
I agree with the people who say that a large volume of training is not always conducive to weight loss. It is to some people, not others. To me it seems similar to the fact that some women ditch baby weight through breastfeeding, and others can't lose a pound until it is over. I wonder if it some sort of evolutionary response to stress (stress being a large calorie deficit). The more "evolved" people don't lose weight as well. I've lost a similar amount of weight and am maintaining, luckily I am at a place I feel satisfied with. I'd ideally like to lose ten more but, honestly, I don't want to have to buy new clothes. The only way I can lose weight right now is with reduced exercise volume and calorie cutting. When I am training hard, my weight won't budge up or down whether I eat 2000 or 3000 calories, even though theoretically that is a 2-pound per day intake difference. Weird.

No advice though, other than to mix it up and monitor closely for the results. And track your weight daily (at least for a month) to get an idea of your fluctutations. Mine is about 8 pounds. It's easy to think something isn't working, just because you are in an upward retaining cycle.
2006-01-25 10:04 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Last week my average calories were 1776.57
Protein 118.68 grams 26.9%
Carbs 196.5 grams 44.13%
Fat       55.89 grams 28.12%

People have asked how I often I eat. I eat breakfast, snack, lunch, usually two snacks in the afternoon and dinner. I normally eat 5-6 servings of fruit a day, so most of my carbs are from fruit and vegys.

Now what my coach says and suggests.. that I eat better than most people...which is good.

Yes many people underestimate what they eat 10-30% could be an issue, but since I weighed most of my food or used it off labels not likely...if under a little still should be losing weight

Diet soda...could effect insulin but still unproven.

Under eating and starvation mode...possible....try eating more...see if I lose, stay the same or gain...over the course of a couple weeks...add more root vegys...good carbs, filling and healthy and see what happens.

He noticed that I eat my biggest meal with the most calories in the evening so he wants me to eat more during the day especially for breakfast so now I'm eating breakfast about 500 calories which is hard...but it does take the hunger away better throughout the day.

Have my thryroid levels checked which I'll do Saturday. Another potential issue is that I have been dieting and excercising for almost 3 years and I could be depleted in important vitamins and minerals and I need to be sure to take a multiviatimin which I have been inconsistent in doing.

You guys are so educated and knowledgeable about nutrition..it is fun to share ideas with you.

Mike on Super Bon Bons mentioned back a few weeks ago that he does a graph with weight averages that helps smooth out ups and downs that happen if you weigh yourself daily. I have been doing that and find it more encouraging to see the 7 day average moving downward. This was a great suggestion for motivation!

I'm more upbeat since my weight seems to be trending down and I can see it now. But why is it if I eat bad for 10 days it takes 30 to get back to where I was before the Holidays. I sure am able to gain faster than I can lose.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm super frustrated...any ideas? Rss Feed