General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ironman gear recommendations Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-19 12:29 PM

User image

new orleans
Subject: ironman gear recommendations
Does anyone have any recommendations for goggles that wont leak/fog up? has anyone had problems with contacts during the swim, i mean getting kicked, goggles popping out, and contacts coming out?
What about female bike shorts? do people really wear tri shorts for the bike part or switch to bike shorts?
finally socks. I have had problems in the past with marathons and socks (meaning the most irrating part of my body is where my sock is touching the bottom of my foot). any socks that won't irrate you foot?
Thanks.

2006-01-19 3:50 PM
in reply to: #327521

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lufkin (East Texas)
Subject: RE: ironman gear recommendations
I don't know much about female bike shorts, so I won't be any help there. I use a Seal Mask for swimming. I like 'swim goggles' in the pool, but found that the Seal mask stays on better when being thrashed about. And make no mistake, no matter where you start, you're bound to run into at least a few times...unless of course you wait 10 minutes to start or something.

I did my entire IM in a pair of Sugoi tri-shorts and didn't have any problems. I'm not sure about the sock problem, but you might try rubbing some vaseline on your feet before you head out on a long run.

Of course, the most important thing is to try EVERYTHING several times in training before race day.
2006-01-19 5:48 PM
in reply to: #327702

User image

Elite
San Diego

devo27 - 2006-01-19 1:50 PM I don't know much about female bike shorts, so I won't be any help there. I use a Seal Mask for swimming. I like 'swim goggles' in the pool, but found that the Seal mask stays on better when being thrashed about. And make no mistake, no matter where you start, you're bound to run into at least a few times...unless of course you wait 10 minutes to start or something. I did my entire IM in a pair of Sugoi tri-shorts and didn't have any problems. I'm not sure about the sock problem, but you might try rubbing some vaseline on your feet before you head out on a long run. Of course, the most important thing is to try EVERYTHING several times in training before race day.

Ditto

2006-01-22 10:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
Try Bodyglide on your feet...
2006-01-26 3:24 AM

User image

Master
The real USC, in the ghetto of LA
nutirionally i would recomemed a nutirion plan for the bike protion. i remember my first 50+ miler on my bike (thanksgiving) i was SOOO hungy i couldnt stop eating all day. long rides i make ONE version of the IM cocktail, 2 scoops of endurox, 2 scoops of Carbo pro, 2 scoops of met II. 15 min sips of the goop and i walk off the bike 90 miles later having no hunger issues. train for your nutrition on your LONG rides, to get your bosy accustmed to the form of caloric intake.
2006-01-31 7:00 PM

Master
portland, or
Goggles: Find ones that fit and stick with them. I like to have an "open-water" pair for races. They're the same style as what I wear in the pool, but since they aren't exposed to chlorine there's less chance they'll fail due to chlorine erosion during a race.

Contacts: I've had my goggles dislodged during an IM swim, but have not lost a contact. I do keep spare contacts in my transition bags just in case.

Bike shorts: I prefer tri-shorts when riding in an aero position. I wear the same shorts for all three segments regardless of the distance.

Socks: You might try Wright Double Layer Socks. The vaseline or body-glide application will help as well.

scott

2006-02-01 12:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
I had no problems with my standard goggles during the race. I put a goggle defogger solution on my goggles prior to the race. and don't wear contacts. but my husband always carries an extra pair of contacts and solution in his bike saddle bag and leaves some in transition.

My female experience:
I wore a tyr bathingsuit bottom under my wetsuit for the swim. then put on my tri shorts in transition and kept them on the entire race. I did this to start the ride with dry shorts, since I had never trained on my long rides with wet shorts to start. I preloaded the shorts with butt butter when I handed in my transition bags. I also have a profile tri saddle. The entire nose is padded, so bike shorts actually cause me to chaffe because of too much padding. I then carried the individual packs of butt butter in my bento box and used it during my one portopotty stop at about mile 70. I had no problems with chaffing all day.

Socks: I always wear thin sock with coolmax. They seem to reduce and foot irritation.

Best of luck and always train with and practice in what you are going to wear for the race.
2006-02-01 6:11 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Another less sophisticated method for non-fogging goggles is to rub a bit of spit into your goggles. At the start of the race, I usually dip my goggles in the lake water, rub some spit into there, dip them again to wash the spit out, and then strap them on. Never had a problem, and it's one less thing you have to carry around.
2006-02-01 8:46 PM

User image

new orleans
I use a standard road bike seat, what is everyones thoughts on tri specific saddle for the IM distance?
2006-02-02 1:32 PM

Great Neck
Goggles: Very subjective as each pair fits differently. i had barracuda standard and switched to ultimates (1/2 the price) which work better.

Tri shorts: Most peple start and finish in their tri shorts and do not change into bike shorts for a 1/2 iron event. This changes for iron distance where people do change into bike shorts for the 112 mile ride.

Socks: Aside from Tri's i run marathons and have had great success with wright socks for blisters and discomfort. ir is double layered and don't seem to last that long but seem to perform great for me on race day.

eddie
2006-02-12 5:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
saddles are very subjective. just make sure you are comfortable with which ever one you ride with. It may take a lot of trial and error, but everyone is different and everyone likes different things. Enjoy and good luck!

2006-02-15 9:57 AM

User image

Regular
Southern, Maine
Socks : Smart Wool makes a whole line of socks for various activitys, running, biking, hiking, I have great luck with them.

The saddle is a tough one, just have to try a few till you find one you like. I just went thru the same problem.

Pearl Izumi has a great line of womens bike shorts, pricey but nice. In my opion the super padded version they make is too padded, like being on a pillow, I go for the mid race version.

Have fun.
Chris
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ironman gear recommendations Rss Feed