General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training zone question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-01-19 1:51 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: training zone question

As a beginner here I'm still fascinated by reading and learning all about heart rates, training zones, lactate thresholds, etc.  I get the concept of training at different intensities for different purposes, and the benefits of training at lower intensities.  Here's my problem.  I can't put it into action.  I tend to be fairly obsessive/intense about my workouts and even though I haven't calculated my zones or been tested, I'm guessing that I normally work out in a higher zone than I "should".  But I love it.  That feeling of going out there and really pushing myself, accomplishing things I never thought I could.  The exhilaration that comes with pushing oneself to and sometimes beyond what you thought your limits were is intoxicating.  Every time I start out a workout by saying, "ok, nice and slow, we are shooting for LSD here" I end up halfway through figuring out how fast I have to go to have a shot at my PB.  I can't help myself, it's so damn fun!  If I don't mind not following the ideal workout plan, am I risking anything other than the overtraining bug by training at higher intensities most of the time?  I know what I should do, but I'm in this because it's fun and doing it this way is fun for me.  Is that wrong?

(I guess now I'll wait for the landslide of posts from people saying after reviewing my logs they thought all my workouts were LSD to begin with.)

2006-01-19 1:58 PM
in reply to: #327616

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Subject: RE: training zone question
I LOVE your passion. I LOVE the fact that you want to go out and PR everytime you run. That is AWESOME, and I wish I could bottle that - I would be very rich!

BUT, and it's a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTT, you can't do that every day and expect to get better. What you are risking is bigger then over training. What you are risking is injury and burnout. The body just isn't made to hammer every time you go out the door to train. I am not going to get into all the physiology of things, but you need to train in all of your energy systems in order to improve - that is fact. You may keep beating that 5 mile time, but at some point you'll plateau and you'll wonder why. And then you'll be bummed you aren't getting faster and so on...

So it's ok to do that 1x every 1-2 weeks, but stick to your plan, it's why you have one right?

PS - I didn't look at your training log so I have NO idea how fast you run.
2006-01-19 2:23 PM
in reply to: #327623

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
mikericci - 2006-01-19 1:58 PM

I LOVE your passion. I LOVE the fact that you want to go out and PR everytime you run. That is AWESOME, and I wish I could bottle that - I would be very rich!

Naw, that kind of thinking already exists. You want to make $$, sell the antedote.

I saw myself in some of the original post. I'm probably not training at 100%, but I've probably trained too much at 85-95%. (Things like running the same route, with a couple of hills. Now that I have the HRM, I found out I'm coming up the last one at 185--195 bpm, and I was doing that run every day.) I'm starting to get used to some lower intensity workouts.
2006-01-19 2:28 PM
in reply to: #327642

User image

Boulder, Colorado
McFuzz - 2006-01-19 12:23 PM

mikericci - 2006-01-19 1:58 PM

Naw, that kind of thinking already exists. You want to make $$, sell the antedote.
>>I already have the antedote: Bad coaching - aka some coach who will let you do that every day. :-)

I saw myself in some of the original post. I'm probably not training at 100%, but I've probably trained too much at 85-95%. (Things like running the same route, with a couple of hills. Now that I have the HRM, I found out I'm coming up the last one at 185--195 bpm, and I was doing that run every day.) I'm starting to get used to some lower intensity workouts.
>>>I had a beginner group I was coaching here a few years (runners only for a 10k) and I asked them if they ever changed their loop up - and they all look at me funny - and I said - "you know, like run the loop in reverse?" - they all just stood there - and then someone said "I never thought of that" - so same goes for you! at least run the loop in reverse!

PS - I don't know what 85-95% means - but if you are referring to max HR - then please do some reading:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2006-01-19 2:50 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
85-95% kind of a mix between RPE and max HR (since I didn't have a monitor).

I'm reading up on some of this. I'm going to try to take advantage of my Gold membership.

(Sorry Hangloose, not trying to hijack your thread.)

Edited by McFuzz 2006-01-19 2:53 PM
2006-01-19 3:51 PM
in reply to: #327659

User image

Boulder, Colorado
McFuzz - 2006-01-19 12:50 PM

85-95% kind of a mix between RPE and max HR (since I didn't have a monitor).
>>>How about using an RPE scale of 1-10 from now on?

I'm reading up on some of this. I'm going to try to take advantage of my Gold membership.
>>That would be smart of yo

(Sorry Hangloose, not trying to hijack your thread.)

2006-01-19 4:25 PM

User image

, Texas
Hehe, I'm just about as opposite as can be. My goal is to do everything easy, in Z1. I did get caught up in going fast after my first tri (which was the first time I ran under 10 min/mi) and that was a blast, but I'd like to get my high Z1/low Z2 pace to 8:xx min/mi and then I can do some combination of run/cycle commuting to work (12 mi each way). I'm aiming for this Fall.

I'm not sure if there is anything "wrong" with going all out, but I've read enough about people starting out full throttle having to take weeks off here and there due to stress fractures and the like. I'm trying to minimize the downtime.

Having said that, I'm currently only cycling due to a sprained knee I got while roller-blading.

I'd listen to Mike. I've been very impressed with what I've read by him.
2006-01-19 4:36 PM
in reply to: #327728

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Thanks Camy - and try pushing into Z2 at least 1x per week.
2006-01-19 5:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
I think I have the same problem when it comes to run training. I am often at 170-180 ave. HR pace for a 30 min run. The other day I tried to go REALLY slow and averaged high 150s. I think my Max is about 200 and my VO2Max is 69 (26 yr old female). When I try to do interval work (e.g. 2 min hard/3 min easy or 1 min fast/5 min easy) my heartrate is lower when I'm going hard and higher when I first start to go easy. Is this normal or should I be worried?
2006-01-19 5:59 PM
in reply to: #327772

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Have you done an LT test? If no, then do one, then set zones, and you can train properly. That takes the guesswork out of everything.
2006-01-19 6:49 PM
in reply to: #327646

User image

Master
Colorado
Reverse the loop? But but... /sputter/

blink
blink.
Oh. It does go the other way. Cool.

mikericci - 2006-01-19 3:28 PM
McFuzz - 2006-01-19 12:23 PM
mikericci - 2006-01-19 1:58 PMI LOVE your passion. I LOVE the fact that you want to go out and PR everytime you run. That is AWESOME, and I wish I could bottle that - I would be very rich!
Naw, that kind of thinking already exists. You want to make $$, sell the antedote. >>I already have the antedote: Bad coaching - aka some coach who will let you do that every day. :-) I saw myself in some of the original post. I'm probably not training at 100%, but I've probably trained too much at 85-95%. (Things like running the same route, with a couple of hills. Now that I have the HRM, I found out I'm coming up the last one at 185--195 bpm, and I was doing that run every day.) I'm starting to get used to some lower intensity workouts. >>>I had a beginner group I was coaching here a few years (runners only for a 10k) and I asked them if they ever changed their loop up - and they all look at me funny - and I said - "you know, like run the loop in reverse?" - they all just stood there - and then someone said "I never thought of that" - so same goes for you! at least run the loop in reverse!
PS - I don't know what 85-95% means - but if you are referring to max HR - then please do some reading:http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25733&start=1

2006-01-19 9:40 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago
hangloose - 2006-01-19 12:51 PM

As a beginner here I'm still fascinated by reading and learning all about heart rates, training zones, lactate thresholds, etc.  I get the concept of training at different intensities for different purposes, and the benefits of training at lower intensities.  Here's my problem.  I can't put it into action.  I tend to be fairly obsessive/intense about my workouts and even though I haven't calculated my zones or been tested, I'm guessing that I normally work out in a higher zone than I "should".  But I love it.  That feeling of going out there and really pushing myself, accomplishing things I never thought I could.  The exhilaration that comes with pushing oneself to and sometimes beyond what you thought your limits were is intoxicating.  Every time I start out a workout by saying, "ok, nice and slow, we are shooting for LSD here" I end up halfway through figuring out how fast I have to go to have a shot at my PB.  I can't help myself, it's so damn fun!  If I don't mind not following the ideal workout plan, am I risking anything other than the overtraining bug by training at higher intensities most of the time?  I know what I should do, but I'm in this because it's fun and doing it this way is fun for me.  Is that wrong?

(I guess now I'll wait for the landslide of posts from people saying after reviewing my logs they thought all my workouts were LSD to begin with.)

this is something that is suffering that wasn't mentioned.  Discipline.

You can not realize success at this sport without it.  Doing LSD workouts not only train your body, but also train your mind.

2006-01-19 10:06 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Want to talk about obsessive training? I'd say that doing exactly what you know you should be doing day after day without ever breaking from your carefully developed training plan is the ultimate in obsessive training. The self-discipline that is required to hold back and do nothing but Z1/Z2 LSD runs for months on end because it's what will make you fastest in the long run (pun intended )...that's obsessive. Doing drill work in the pool religiously, every single session...that's obsessive. Watching the pack drop you on long rides because hanging on would mean pushing 5bpm harder than your training plan calls for...that's obsessive. Trust me, I know that feeling of pushing yourself to and beyond your limits...and it's very rewarding...but save those days for a few carefully planned key training sessions and for race day. I PR'd virtually every race I ran this season and I obsessed over my training every day in between. The only thing you have to lose by going hard most of the time (other than burning out and over-use injuries) is falling short of your true potential. If you're obsessive about your performance then that should be plenty of motivation to get a plan and stick with it.

hangloose - 2006-01-19 2:51 PM

I tend to be fairly obsessive/intense about my workouts and even though I haven't calculated my zones or been tested, I'm guessing that I normally work out in a higher zone than I "should". But I love it. That feeling of going out there and really pushing myself, accomplishing things I never thought I could. The exhilaration that comes with pushing oneself to and sometimes beyond what you thought your limits were is intoxicating.

If I don't mind not following the ideal workout plan, am I risking anything other than the overtraining bug by training at higher intensities most of the time?

2006-01-19 10:16 PM
in reply to: #327906

User image

Boulder, Colorado
TH3_FRB - 2006-01-19 8:06 PM

Want to talk about obsessive training? I'd say that doing exactly what you know you should be doing day after day without ever breaking from your carefully developed training plan is the ultimate in obsessive training. The self-discipline that is required to hold back and do nothing but Z1/Z2 LSD runs for months on end because it's what will make you fastest in the long run (pun intended )...that's obsessive. Doing drill work in the pool religiously, every single session...that's obsessive. Watching the pack drop you on long rides because hanging on would mean pushing 5bpm harder than your training plan calls for...that's obsessive. Trust me, I know that feeling of pushing yourself to and beyond your limits...and it's very rewarding...but save those days for a few carefully planned key training sessions and for race day. I PR'd virtually every race I ran this season and I obsessed over my training every day in between. The only thing you have to lose by going hard most of the time (other than burning out and over-use injuries) is falling short of your true potential. If you're obsessive about your performance then that should be plenty of motivation to get a plan and stick with it.

hangloose - 2006-01-19 2:51 PM

I tend to be fairly obsessive/intense about my workouts and even though I haven't calculated my zones or been tested, I'm guessing that I normally work out in a higher zone than I "should". But I love it. That feeling of going out there and really pushing myself, accomplishing things I never thought I could. The exhilaration that comes with pushing oneself to and sometimes beyond what you thought your limits were is intoxicating.

If I don't mind not following the ideal workout plan, am I risking anything other than the overtraining bug by training at higher intensities most of the time?

I couldn't have said it better Joel.
2006-01-20 6:43 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Thanks everone.  I appreciate the input and as I sit here in my chair it all makes perfect sense.  I know it's going to be harder to put into practice when it comes time for the actual workouts but I'll try.

Blue skies, er, smooth running to all.

2006-01-20 7:19 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Best of luck with your training and racing - I was in a similar boat last year, a complete beginner and I became quite obsessive about the literature and tried to become a student of the sport. I've read as many articles as I can, the TTB, forums, etc. However, there was one thing that really sold me on training at lower intensities most of the time and that was the ability to run and not feel sore the following day.

Prior to last year I was a non-runner - my only forays into the sport were halted quickly when I found myself in pain - both during the run and afterwards. So when I decided I wanted to give triathlon a go, I thought running was going to be my biggest stumbling block. After following the HR Zone training advice I was able to start running, building from 3min in September to 1.5hours in March - almost entirely pain free. The only times I was sore was after an LT test or a workout where I pushed myself too hard (I was only focusing on base last season).

My biggest concern was the old adage - practice how you'll play and play how you practice. I was afraid that after so little high intensity work that come race day I would be stuck at a slow pace and low HR. As it was my first season I was willing to deal with that but wasn't excited about the prospect of running my LSD pace of 6:30/km. On race day, everything I had read turned out to be true - I was able to run much more quickly 4:45/km for the 5km of the tri.

So, not much to offer except some more anecdotal evidence but I know that for me, reading about what worked for other people in my position helped to reinforce the belief that this HR Zone training might actually work.

Shane

2006-01-20 9:13 AM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
As someone who tend to be very competitive I know how difficult it is to keep the intensity low.  When I first started training with a HRM last year the pace was killing me.  It just felt soooo slow...to the point where you're sure that it isn't helping your fitness at all.  You gotta get the sweat flowing and blood pumping, work the cardiovascular system hard to get fit, right?  Well, I was determined to give HRM training and this whole LSD thing a fair shot so I stuck with it and sure enough I saw progress within 4-6 weeks.  This wasn't blazing speed but I was running longer and faster at the same HR.  I went on like this for a few months and made continuous progress.  One year later and I can now run 7:30/mile pace for 15+ miles with ease in that same HR zone that I started at 9-9:30/mile pace one year ago.  Do I have some sort of genetic advantage...maybe...but genetics is worthless if you don't train properly to take advantage of that gift.  I wrote a response to another thread earlier this week that quickly went through my history...you might find it interesting: Question for Joel.  My main response is about 1/2 way down the first page.
2006-01-20 2:30 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
This is a timely thread, as I coincidently decided to use my run this morning and do the time trial test.

My average HR over the last 20 min was 179. I hope I was doing it correctly. By the end, my HR was up to 188, and that was definitely a pace I could not have maintainted continuously for much longer. But the average was 179, so that's what I use as LT, right? (Average pace was 7:48/mile)

When I plug this into Mike's HR zone calculator, I get these values:

Z1 118-152
Z2 152-162
Z3 163-171
Z4 172-178
Z5 179-183
Z5+ 184-189
Z5++ 190-198

But here's what I start getting confused. Recently, I've been targeting keeping my run runs in the upper 140s or lower 150s. (It usually starts drifting up towards the end or the run to the mid 150s). So it looks like I've been running at the very upper end of Z1 or even the low end of Z2. But should I really be targeting my 'easy' runs to the middle of Z1?

I always hear that the easy runs should feel really slow, even walking. But those runs at the upper end of Z1 don't feel that slow to me. Usually the pace is somewhere around 10:00 min/mile pace. It's certainly not a fast pace, and I can hold that pace for a long time, but I couldn't hold a completely continuous conversation the whole time. (Instead it would be a couple of sentences, an extra breath, some more sentences, etc.)

Should I really be targeting the middle of Z1, around 135? I can get past 135 just warming up for my normal jogs, so I can see where it would feel a lot slower. (And I'm sure I would likely complain about feeling like I'm going too slow to be doing good, even though we all know otherwise.)
2006-01-20 2:49 PM
in reply to: #328461

User image

Boulder, Colorado
davidb - 2006-01-20 12:30 PM

This is a timely thread, as I coincidently decided to use my run this morning and do the time trial test.

My average HR over the last 20 min was 179. I hope I was doing it correctly. By the end, my HR was up to 188, and that was definitely a pace I could not have maintainted continuously for much longer. But the average was 179, so that's what I use as LT, right? (Average pace was 7:48/mile)
>>>As long as you went as hard as you could have for 30', you did it right.

When I plug this into Mike's HR zone calculator, I get these values:

Z1 118-152
Z2 152-162
Z3 163-171
Z4 172-178
Z5 179-183
Z5+ 184-189
Z5++ 190-198

But here's what I start getting confused. Recently, I've been targeting keeping my run runs in the upper 140s or lower 150s. (It usually starts drifting up towards the end or the run to the mid 150s). So it looks like I've been running at the very upper end of Z1 or even the low end of Z2. But should I really be targeting my 'easy' runs to the middle of Z1?

>>recovery runs for you are under 152.

I always hear that the easy runs should feel really slow, even walking. But those runs at the upper end of Z1 don't feel that slow to me. Usually the pace is somewhere around 10:00 min/mile pace. It's certainly not a fast pace, and I can hold that pace for a long time, but I couldn't hold a completely continuous conversation the whole time. (Instead it would be a couple of sentences, an extra breath, some more sentences, etc.)
>>>You are doing the right pace/HR - easy running is usually about 2 minutes per mile slower that LT pace - since LT pace is 7:48/mile - around 9:48/mile is right on target.

Honestly, it sounds like you have been going too easy on your long runs. Bump it up and over 152 - start out with just 10-15' for now, in the middle of your longer runs and over time, it will get easier.

Should I really be targeting the middle of Z1, around 135? I can get past 135 just warming up for my normal jogs, so I can see where it would feel a lot slower. (And I'm sure I would likely complain about feeling like I'm going too slow to be doing good, even though we all know otherwise.)
2006-01-20 6:20 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

Hold on for another hijack.....

What do you do when running in zone 1 or 2...IOW  REALLYREALLY slow....messes up your stride?  I have back issues, and often find that when I run a little faster my stride smooths out and I can run more comfortably.  Ont he other hand, I know how beneficial those LSD runs are.

2006-01-20 8:08 PM

User image

Master
Mike where can I get your HR zone calculator?

2006-01-20 8:31 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Yeah...what Mike said!  I do my long runs in upper Z1 and then sometimes let them go into Z2 for a bit but usually keep it to the lower half of Z2.  Today I actually had peaks in upper Z2 and even cracking Z3 momentarily while I was hitting steep hills.  I still averaged just slightly into Z2 for the 2 hours.
2006-01-20 8:54 PM

Master
Here's a quetion then. If you are training for a certain distance, and know that you can make that distance (and then some ) should you start to work on speed?
2006-01-20 9:45 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
It's not about being able to make the distance...well, unless you goal is simply to finish the race, which is perfectly fine.  Whe you're ready to go beyond finishing then building the base is key.  The longer you spend building that base, the better your body will be able to absorb the tempo and interval work.  I'm not exactly sure what to tell you about how long your base runs should be if you're training for a shorter race...maybe Mike can help here.  Once you start training for long-course stuff you won't have to worry about going past your race distance so much.
2006-01-20 10:48 PM
in reply to: #328757

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Attached amigo!

Attachments
----------------
HR Zones.xls (18KB - 70 downloads)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training zone question Rss Feed  

of 2