General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » triing to quit from Hawaii. Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-20 2:14 AM

User image

Subject: triing to quit from Hawaii.
I am in my 10th week of the Couch to sprint program. 9 workouts a week. Things where going realy good until I was having problems breathing. I guess my idea that if I started training for a tri I would become addicted to the works and be able to drop my addiction to smoking is starting to pay off. I have been smoke free for 4 days now. Wow I think giving up the smoking in tougher then starting to work out. But this time i will stick with it. I have to. I need to quit... I have 2 boys 18m and 4 yrs. I want to live long enough to be a grandparent one day. Enough about the smoking... I am really enjoying my workouts today is my off day and I am going carzy :-) I having a hard time with the swiming and breathing. I seem to not have enough time to take in a breath. I sure it will come with time. The bike is great although i only have a mountain bike. I have been able to bike for up to 10 miles. I even do some workouts with the kids in the bike Carier. The Running is going well. I am up to running for 4 minutes and walking for 3 min. I do it 5 times for a total of 35 minutes. My son has been helpfull working the timer. I yells at me to go when my wathch beeps and yells at me to stop when it beeps again... I could not phantom that I could do this 3 months ago... but now. hopefully It will help me stay away from the tobacco and keep my weight down. I am at 215 lbs and droping rapidly.

thanks for listening.

2006-01-20 8:19 AM
in reply to: #327940

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: triing to quit from Hawaii.
Remember 20 days to develop a habit and then many years to give it up. I was a tobacco user smokeless for 15 years and I gave it up for the same reason i wanted to be more health conscious for my children. I have been tobacco free now for 6 years. I no longer even think about it. If you stick with it it will happen. I know that you can do it. Then on the other things. The breathing with the swimming will come with time. Keep up the good work you are doing! It will pay huge dividends
2006-01-20 11:15 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas

Good job with deciding that enough is enough and you’re going to change!!! Also congrats with sticking with a plan it shows that you want it… We can talk about change all we want but when the rubber says hello to the pavement proof are those lonely hours during the week we find ourselves training because our written plan said so.

We need to look at your breathing issues… let me ask this, are you exhaling in the water? Or are you trying to exhale and inhale when your face is out of the water?

Eric

2006-01-20 11:34 AM
in reply to: #328233

User image

Yes breathing out not in when head is in the water. What i am doing is exhaling for about 3 strokes in the water and then I Breath out alternating sides? did that make sense? I fing that when I breath while running and cycling that i take deep breath in and shorter breaths out. Anyway thanks for helping.
2006-01-20 11:48 AM
in reply to: #328254

User image

Expert
Kansas

good your exhaling in the wather.... my buddy was trying exhale & inhale while is face was out of the water and just didn't have enought time to do both. Good your alternating sides... Something that helped me learn how to swim was to take a breath every left stroke, it kept me from getting winded. One more thing... if you go to pool and only have the energy to swim a few lap but you still have a ton of time to kill in the pool, get a kickboard and start doing laps, it will help with your balance and just getting comfortable in the water.

Keep it up!!!!

Goodbatch - 2006-01-20 11:34 AM Yes breathing out not in when head is in the water. What i am doing is exhaling for about 3 strokes in the water and then I Breath out alternating sides? did that make sense? I fing that when I breath while running and cycling that i take deep breath in and shorter breaths out. Anyway thanks for helping.

2006-01-20 12:44 PM
in reply to: #328254

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Goodbatch - 2006-01-20 11:34 AM

Yes breathing out not in when head is in the water. What i am doing is exhaling for about 3 strokes in the water and then I Breath out alternating sides? did that make sense? I fing that when I breath while running and cycling that i take deep breath in and shorter breaths out. Anyway thanks for helping.

Swimming will be almost the exact opposite, a quick breath in and a long, slow exhale. If you are still running out of air, try breathing every cycle instead of 3 or more strokes. As your fitness and technique improve, you can stretch out breathing.

2006-01-20 12:52 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Hi there and welcome! I'm fairly new to the site, too, and have learned a lot in a short time!

Now, I'm not an expert on swimming at all, only been doing it almost a year, but one thing that helped me on timing is to roll and breathe when your other arm is entering the water. For example, if you are breathing when your right arm is recovering, start your body roll a little earlier and roll your face up to the air when your left hand is entering the water, don't wait until the right arm comes out. I was waiting too long and then only had a short time to gasp in the air - this makes it easier, and it's amazing how much more relaxed I am when I actually have enought time to take a breath. Hope it makes sense.
2006-01-20 1:02 PM

Regular
Kalaheo, Kauai

Aloha - so where are you in Hawaii? I quit smoking when I started this tri training thing (end of October 05) and it definitely was not easy. I started when I was 14 and I'm 29 now! but the great thing about getting addicted to working out is that now my thought process is.. I really want one (especially after a large dinner!) but I want to get up early and run/swim/bike and I know I'll feel like crap if I do.. and that keeps me from picking up the habit again. Now I've had a couple smokes in that time.. but I can count on my fingers how many! it feels great!! So keep up the fantastic job!! Welcome to BT!

2006-01-23 2:08 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Good luck on the smoking thing ... just take it one day at a time. I quit the same way you are doing it - so there's hope as I have been smoke free for 3 years.

Worse comes to worse, grab a bunch of the nicorette patches and wear 'em until they become more of a pain in the rear to put them on than to go w/out nicotine.

You can do it!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » triing to quit from Hawaii. Rss Feed