Other Resources My Cup of Joe » doing evil to obtain good? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2006-01-20 10:36 AM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Subject: doing evil to obtain good?
In the film "Fog of War" one of the 11 leasons that Robert McNamara learned from his time in LBJ administration is "In order to do good, sometimes you have to engage in evil"

Is this an acceptable position for the leaders of our Country to take?

2006-01-20 10:56 AM
in reply to: #328177

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: doing evil to obtain good?

It's their creed.

TW

2006-01-20 11:01 AM

User image

Giver

What's the definition of evil?

IMO, it's hard to justify wire taps and torture when you claim to be the leader of the free world and the champion of human rights. We bash China and place embargos on Cuba, but if we don't set the example, how do we have the right to dictate policy to other nations?

That being said, I'm not so naive to think that sometimes it necessary, probably. But it has to be metted out with a lot of forethought and soul searching to determine if the benefit justifies the action. Glad I don't have to make those decisions.

2006-01-20 11:26 AM
in reply to: #328219

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
run4yrlif - 2006-01-20 11:01 AM

IMO, it's hard to justify wire taps and torture when you claim to be the leader of the free world and the champion of human rights. We bash China and place embargos on Cuba, but if we don't set the example, how do we have the right to dictate policy to other nations?

That being said, I'm not so naive to think that sometimes it necessary, probably. But it has to be metted out with a lot of forethought and soul searching to determine if the benefit justifies the action. Glad I don't have to make those decisions.

You're not saying that "wire taps" and "torture" are on an equal footing of the ills of those in power are you?
2006-01-20 11:47 AM

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
When will the US government learn that 1/2 their problem is that they think they have the right to dictate policy to other countries?
2006-01-20 11:52 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Well that post is about to launch a new direction for the thread, but to respond to the OP I'll say this:

Using the ends to justify the means is a path to ruin.  When there is a choice (and that part is important), there is a "right" way, we all know it.  Usually doing things the right way, whether in your personal life, at work, or as the leader of a country is hard.  "Right" is not supposed to equal "easy".  It is right regardless of whether it is easy or hard.  Mcnamara was wrong. 

By no means do I think myself infallible, but I am probably a little too idealistically self-righteous for my own good.  I've learned to live with it.

2006-01-20 12:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Decatur GA
It would depend on the proportionality. How much evil is necesary for how much good. If the bombing of a an airfield will end a war and prevent hundreds of thousands of deaths but at the same time will kill a few hundred civillians then I say go fot it.
2006-01-20 12:27 PM

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
ASA22 - Is this an acceptable position for the leaders of our Country to take?

Just when I'm about to wrap up my BT reading and get back to work I read this thread.

I wanna throw Augustine's Just War Theory into the mix, 'cause I think it offers a great jumping off point for this moral question.

In modern language, these rules hold that to be just, a war must meet the following criteria before the use of forceJus ad bellum)

• Just Cause: Force may be used only to correct a grave publicevil (e.g. a massive violation of the basic rights of wholepopulations) or in defense;
  • Comparative Justice: While there may be rights and wrongs onall sides of a conflict, to override the presumption against the use offorce, the injustice suffered by one party must significantly outweighthat suffered by the other;
  • Legitimate Authority: Only duly constituted public authorities may use deadly force or wage war;
  • Right Intention: Force may be used only in a truly just cause and solely for that purpose; Correcting a suffered wrong is considered a right intention, while material gain is not.
  • Probability of Success: Arms may not be used in a futile cause or in a case where disproportionate measures are required to achieve success;
  • Proportionality: The overall destruction expected from the use of force must be outweighed by the good to be achieved.[2]
  • Last Resort: force may be used only after all peaceful and viable alternatives have been seriously tried and exhausted.

2006-01-20 12:32 PM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Alright lets throw a little fuel on the fire. Let's take the discussion away from war as the hypothetical evil. Lets say the evil is "expanding" the perceived powers of the Executive Branch. Is it OK for the Executive Branch, the President, to stretch or outright exceed his perceived authority in ordre to obtain what is viewed as a "good" or "just" result?
2006-01-20 12:35 PM
in reply to: #328246

User image

Giver

Certainly not. Hence my question on the definition of evil. I think infringing on the Constitution is evil. I aloso think torture is evil. Are they the same evil? Probably not.

ASA22 - 2006-01-20 12:26 PM

You're not saying that "wire taps" and "torture" are on an equal footing of the ills of those in power are you?
2006-01-20 12:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Decatur GA
Sometimes. Our constitution was derived indirectly from Locke and directly from Montisque who derived all of his work form Locke, but that’s another post, both of whom had a federative prerogative embedded in their work. This prerogative was carried over into our constitution and has been exercised throughout history. The most glaring executions of prerogative are Lincoln suspending habeas corpus, something having to do with steel during WWII--sorry can't remember--and obviously Bush. However in both philosophers works were safeguards against an over reaching federative or executive power. We have these as well. We have both the supreme court which in the steel case sided against the government and the democratic process itself. When a leader goes too far we may not go Lockean on him, but we certainty do have the power via electoral and legislative process to remove him from office. It falls on the people and their representatives to decide just how far a president can go.

2006-01-20 12:45 PM
in reply to: #328315

User image

Buttercup

I'm not sure what you mean by "OK."

We're a nation of laws (supposedly). Let me state the obvious: the POTUS is not above the law. We may forgive POTUS for overstepping his/her boundaries but does that mean it should be a blanket "OK" thing to do? Don't think so. POTUS, in my opinion, is not wiser or more Solomon-like than the guys who put the rules together 220 years ago.

If POTUS wants more powers, thinks he needs these powers to be an effective Commander-In-Chief, then POTUS should go about campaigning for those powers, obtaining those powers in a lawful manner.

2006-01-20 12:48 PM
in reply to: #328320

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
One question I have: is the evil the fact that the leader would do something illegal, or is the evil the actual act that may also be illegal?

So on the one hand we have something like torture ( and lets assume that it is a severely violent form that everyone would agree defines torture) which is both illegal and objectively evil apart from its illegality.

On the other hand, we have some forms of wiretapping (lets assume it actually is an illegal form) which is illegal but is open for debate as to whether or not it is objectively evil.

In the first case, it seems clear that we have a natural right to not be tortured.  In the second case, it is not so clear.  The question of the right to privacy is far from being settled.

OK, so let's say an American city is about to be bombed (let's say we have reliable inteligence on that).

Let's say there is a person in custody that can supply the final piece of information needed to prevent the bombing.  Only severe torture to the point of death will bring it out of him.  I'm not sure yet, but I lean just this side of saying that it is not ok to torture him.

Now say that instead of a person in custody, there is a ring of people involved and illegal wiretapping is needed to get the final piece of information.  I'm pretty sure that I'd go with that.  At least I lean way far in support of it.
2006-01-20 12:53 PM
in reply to: #328320

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
run4yrlif - 2006-01-20 12:35 PM

Certainly not. Hence my question on the definition of evil. I think infringing on the Constitution is evil. I aloso think torture is evil. Are they the same evil? Probably not.

ASA22 - 2006-01-20 12:26 PM

Is it always that simple? What about Lincoln's spending of unappropriated funds during the civil war? Or ordering the taking over of the railroads between Washington DC and Baltimore? What about Woodrow Wilson's creating administrative boards without Congressional approval? Or FDR doing similar things in WWII? Or How about The Emancipation Proclomation...? Lincoln did not have the Constitutional authority to "free" slaves, certainly given the Supreme Court rulings of the day. The freeing of slaves could only have been accomplished through legislative action. ( I believe Lincoln relied on the Executive authority to wage war in justifying the Emancipation Proclomation)
2006-01-20 12:59 PM

Veteran
Michigan

I don't know nearly enough about the wiretapping issue but I have a simplistic hypothetical question.  If an illegal wire tap could be used to detect and prevent a terrorist attact would people agree that is justified?  Or is there absolutely no justification for an illegal wire tap?  And why are people so strongly opposed to the wire taps?  Is it because they fear for errosion of rights?  I am interested in more information and opinions so I can understand this better.

2006-01-20 1:05 PM
in reply to: #328342

User image

Veteran
Decatur GA
kimta - 2006-01-20 12:59 PM

I don't know nearly enough about the wiretapping issue but I have a simplistic hypothetical question.  If an illegal wire tap could be used to detect and prevent a terrorist attact would people agree that is justified?  Or is there absolutely no justification for an illegal wire tap?  And why are people so strongly opposed to the wire taps?  Is it because they fear for errosion of rights?  I am interested in more information and opinions so I can understand this better.

If it a leagal wiretap would not suffice then yes, I think it would be justified. What is happening now is a case where legal wiretaps would have sufficed; however, Bush decided to go around the law and not apply for a warrent within the time allowed under FISA. Maybe he has a reason for doing this other than him not wanting the courts to know who he was wiretapping. If so, the administration has not cited it. Leads me to believe that they did not want the courts interfering in who they wanted to listen to.

2006-01-20 1:06 PM
in reply to: #328329

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Renee - 2006-01-20 12:45 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by "OK."

We're a nation of laws (supposedly). Let me state the obvious: the POTUS is not above the law. We may forgive POTUS for overstepping his/her boundaries but does that mean it should be a blanket "OK" thing to do? Don't think so. POTUS, in my opinion, is not wiser or more Solomon-like than the guys who put the rules together 220 years ago.

If POTUS wants more powers, thinks he needs these powers to be an effective Commander-In-Chief, then POTUS should go about campaigning for those powers, obtaining those powers in a lawful manner.

The problem is of course that defining what "powers" are enjoyed by the Executive can be vexing. In 1926 The Supreme Court wrestled with where the presidents powers were to be found. Thus evidencing the fact that the issue was not as well settled as we may beleive. In Myers v. U.S. the Supreme Court determined that teh Federal Executive, unlike the Congress, could exercise power from sources not enumerated, so long as not forbidden by the Constitution. The Court stated "the executive power was given in general terms, strengthed by specific terms where emphasis was regarded as appropriate, and was limited by direct expression where limitation was needed." Thus "Within a sphere properly regarded as on of 'executive' power, authority is implied unless there or elsewhere expressly limited." Lawerence Tribe, American Consitutional Law
2006-01-20 1:15 PM
in reply to: #328354

User image

Buttercup

I'm okay with being vexed. I'm okay with a debate. I'm okay with a Constitutional showdown. That's all about following a process with the implication that TPTB (the powers that be) believe in the rule of impersonal law.

I'm not okay with silence on the matter, being told it's unpatriotic to question, being given vague, mumbled reasons for where the POTUS derives his questionable authority.

2006-01-20 1:42 PM
in reply to: #328357

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Renee - 2006-01-20 1:15 PM

I'm okay with being vexed. I'm okay with a debate. I'm okay with a Constitutional showdown. That's all about following a process with the implication that TPTB (the powers that be) believe in the rule of impersonal law.

I'm not okay with silence on the matter, being told it's unpatriotic to question, being given vague, mumbled reasons for where the POTUS derives his questionable authority.

BINGO!!!  You nailed it on the head, for me.  Tapping phone lines doesn't really show up on my radar as inherently evil, it depends on the circumstances.  Rendering our constitution ineffectual by sneaking around and hiding behind a smokescreen is the real problem. 

And for the record you are hearing from a card-carrying-raised-all-my-life-as-a-republican who is embarrassed at many of the things currently happening.

2006-01-20 2:07 PM
in reply to: #328382

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
hangloose - 2006-01-20 1:42 PM

Renee - 2006-01-20 1:15 PM

BINGO!!!  You nailed it on the head, for me.  Tapping phone lines doesn't really show up on my radar as inherently evil, it depends on the circumstances.  Rendering our constitution ineffectual by sneaking around and hiding behind a smokescreen is the real problem. 

And for the record you are hearing from a card-carrying-raised-all-my-life-as-a-republican who is embarrassed at many of the things currently happening.

So for at least some of you its not the actual attempt to expand presidential power that is the crime, rather it is not explaining why he beleives he has the power to do what he has done? Is what Bush is doing any different than what Lincoln, Wilson, FDR, Kennedy or Reagan did? If so how?
Historically, when the president has engaged in conduct which is only questionably within his authority, the explanation of the Executive has invariably been the same. That is, the power is derived from the "inherent power of the executive branch" What has Bush done that has been different from the other President's that have arguably overreached the power of the executive branch? How has the Bush administrations explanation been any different from those previous administrations?

The point I'm trying to get across is contrary to the assertions of many pundents, on both sides, this is not the first time that a President has been accussed of attempting to expand the power of the Executive or in engaging in conduct which is not authorized. I'm tired of these broad statements that Bush is somehow the first President to do so. It totally ignores history. It is also used to villify bush for his actions as if it's the first time in U.S. history that it has been attempted.

And how has the administration "rendered our Constitution ineffectual by sneaking around and hiding behind a smokescreen"? If the administration has argued that the President can engage in a course of action because of the "inherent power of the Executive branch" that is in fact a legal, consitutionally recognized argument. Whether in fact it falls within that inherent power is another totally seperate question.
2006-01-20 2:16 PM
in reply to: #328315

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX

ASA22 - 2006-01-20 11:32 AM Alright lets throw a little fuel on the fire. Let's take the discussion away from war as the hypothetical evil. Lets say the evil is "expanding" the perceived powers of the Executive Branch. Is it OK for the Executive Branch, the President, to stretch or outright exceed his perceived authority in ordre to obtain what is viewed as a "good" or "just" result?

I think(and it pains me to do so) the key word here is perceived powers.  Different people have different perceptions.  Evil means different things to different people as well.  I don't even like the term evil as it has been used here.  Instead of thinking of it as "doing evil to abtain good", I think of it as "good sometimes has a cost".  Like anything else, what is too high a cost for the desired good will differs from person to person.  What might be an acceptable cost of good to me may not be to the next person.  There is a big stink going on here in Dallas right now because they are putting in surveillance cameras around the city.  The ACLU is raising a stink that it is infringing on the rights of the citizens.  To me, that is rediculous and I am willing to accept this cost(knowing I may be on video if in downtown Dallas) for the desired good(safer streets in downtown Dallas).

2006-01-20 2:25 PM

User image

Master
Michigan

Hence the term necessary evil.

2006-01-20 2:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Decatur GA
Correct me where I am wrong, but my understanding is not that Bush was seeking to necessarily expand the executive power in the wiretapping case, but rather, he exercised a power that he legally held in an illegal way. The wiretaps that he placed were legal. What was not legal was not applying for a warrant within a given amount of time defined by FISA and continuing to eavesdrop. This is where I have an issue.

What history shows us is that yes, the pres has and will expand the powers directly granted by the constitution. However, history has also shown us that the inherent powers of the executive is not always an acceptable argument. There have been many instances where the Supreme Court has ruled against the gov in cases where the pres acted with power not overtly granted in the constitution. This is one of the reasons we have the courts.

What is odd about this case is that the pres is bypassing the balance that was put in place to check how far outside of Article II he can act. He is making an argument that has been made before, and many times justly, however the courts are whom he is supposed to make his appeal to not, who he is supposed to make his appeal against.

Somewhat stream of conscious hope it makes sense
2006-01-20 2:35 PM
in reply to: #328274

User image

Master
The real USC, in the ghetto of LA
hangloose - 2006-01-20 11:52 AM

Using the ends to justify the means is a path to ruin.  When there is a choice (and that part is important), there is a "right" way, we all know it.  Usually doing things the right way, whether in your personal life, at work, or as the leader of a country is hard.  "Right" is not supposed to equal "easy".  It is right regardless of whether it is easy or hard.  Mcnamara was wrong. 

im not sure if you have seen the work (I LOVE THE FOG OF WAR.... INCREDABLE PIECE), but one of the things he talks about is how they fire bombed the major cities in japan. and the commander said that if they didnt win the war, they would all be war criminals. I havent heared anyone cry out once about what WE did in WW2.

a more important point is "have we empathized with our enemy." (a point in his movie) in which he discusses cuba and vietnam. i think if we empathized with our enemy better, we would have to even consider alot of "evil" actions.

i encourage everyone to watch "the fog of war." i dont think i have even seen a movie in which a very influentual person has reflected back on all of it, and sees what worked and were they failed, and tries to teach us from their life.
2006-01-20 2:44 PM
in reply to: #328332

User image

Master
The real USC, in the ghetto of LA
dontracy - 2006-01-20 12:48 PM

Let's say there is a person in custody that can supply the final piece of information needed to prevent the bombing.  Only severe torture to the point of death will bring it out of him. 

i can say with confidence that the person, interrogator would DO WHAT NEEDED TO BE DONE. not with presidential oversite, they would take the risk on themselfs. of course if it was ever found out, people would blame the president.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » doing evil to obtain good? Rss Feed  

of 4