General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Walmart Road Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-21 4:33 PM

Subject: Walmart Road Bike
Hello Everyone!

This is my first post, even though I've been lurking for over a month and reading everything I can. I am training for my first Tri ever this year. It's April 29th and I just started training around 3 weeks ago.

I need advice on the right bike to use. I've been using my father's mountain bike for the past few weeks. It is pretty much a standard Schwinn mountain bike. It's probably 6-7 years old and pretty ragged/dirty looking. I had my LBS put slick tires on it and do a full tune up. They charged me around $130 to do all that.

My total triathlon budget was about $550, but I've already spent $130 on the bike, plus helmet, water bottle, cage, bike computer, tri shorts, swim jammers, goggles, race belt and various other stuff. This leaves me with about $280. I will need about $60-70 for the race registration.

I was convinced I didn't need to worry about a road bike for my first season, but then today I saw this Walmart road bike for $147:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?dest=9999999997&product_i...

Should I ditch the MTB and go with this one? My reasons to do so would be: 1) Get used to the riding position of a road bike 2) Have a newer/shinier bike 3) Be able to give my dad his bike back (he doesn't use it, but he's picky about loaning stuff) 4) Look more like I know what I'm doing (riding a road bike, although I'm sure everyone would know it's El Cheapo) 5) Ride faster/lighter

Other things you should know: 1) I'm 6'2" 290lbs - hopefully will be able to drop 20-30 lbs by the race (I'm dieting and training) 2) I would probably still buy a better bike next year if I'm still into it.

Anything else you need to know? I really appreciate all the great advice I read on these boards!

Thanks,

Chris

2006-01-21 4:48 PM
in reply to: #329103

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Walmart Road Bike
Wow, I didn't realize Walmart was carrying anything like that.

I'd say a 57 cm frame MIGHT be too small. Take a spin through a regular bike shop, and then take a close look at this bike (especially components) and see whether it might be easily upgradable (probably not). That would mean that in a year or two you'd end up buying another bike altogether. See if they'll let you ride a 57 as well as a 59-61.

Does your bike shop carry used bikes? There are lots of people that ride their mountain bikes for tri's (particularly sprints).

Make sure you thank Dad for loaning you his gear. Do something nice for him.
2006-01-21 9:31 PM
in reply to: #329107

User image

Expert
Olathe, KS
Personally I would stay on the mountain bike for now.  I don't want to be a bike snob here but the biggest problem with that bike is going to be durability.  The first corner they would cut on a bike like that would be the wheelset and with your big frame (no offense I am 200+ myself)  they wouldn't last long.  You would be wobbling down the road in no time.  I would keep my $147 and save up some more then start looking on ebay.  You can still find some great deals on older bikes there.   Either way keep on training and having fun!
2006-01-21 10:32 PM

User image

Master
I would have to think this bike is a bit small for you... I am however impressed to see a department store carry a road bike. I look all the time but never see one. I thought Lance winning 7 may push demand but it didnt... save your $$$ and for $300 or so you can get a nice used bike.
2006-01-22 6:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Southeastern PA
I think Speedball's got it right with respect to the dept. store bike. A mtn. bike is fine for your first tri and you already got the slicks and tune-up. If you decide to stick with the sport you can always get a new bike later. You should get fit properly by your LBS before you buy a road bike anyway. Entry level road bikes like Trek, Giant, Specialized etc. go on sale in the off-season and come in around $500, sometimes less. If it were me I would save the $$, as there are plenty of other goodies to buy in this sport, wetsuit, bike trainer, books, etc. Keep training and good luck in that race!!!!
2006-01-22 2:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Vero Beach,Florida
I have looked at this bike from wal-M@r+. I would say, NO.

Your mountain bike is probably just as good or better than this.

You would be better off buying a 20 year old Bianchi for $80 that fits you better.(I did this for my son)
The old, used bike could easily weigh 10 to 15 pounds less than the Denali, and will probably shift better with the downtube shifters. At least that was my experience.

"4) Look more like I know what I'm doing (riding a road bike, although I'm sure everyone would know it's El Cheapo) "

You might look better on the mtn bike with slicks.

"5) Ride faster/lighter "

May not be lighter. When I checked out the Denali it had to weigh over 30 pounds.

My Opinion

Good luck

Snookdude

2006-01-23 4:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lufkin (East Texas)
Bicycle Magazine had an article a few months ago about Mountain Bikes and how people with limited income use them for transportation. In the article, it specifically discussed the 'dept store bikes' and how the manufacturers really skimp on most of the bike to add flashy things; suspension, etc. The cutbacks in other places made the bikes unsafe, prone to breaking and many other problems.

Now, these were the mountain bike brands, but I would imagine the same to be true for any bikes that are mass produced this way.

A used "brand" bike in your price range would probably be better.
2006-01-23 11:36 PM

Champion

Are you a decent bike mechanic?  Can you adjust your own derailleurs?  3 months after the purchase of a Wal-Mart bike, and the cables stretch and the shifters don't shift worth a damn, who will be doing the adjustments and maintenance?  Lots of local bike shops won't even touch these bikes, though some will.  At least if you buy a bike from a bike shop, 99% of them will often give you a free tune up after 30 days.  You can't get that at Wal-Mart, and the adjustment and tune up that you might have to pay for could cost 1/2 the purchase price of the Wal-Mart bike.

2006-01-24 6:59 AM

User image

Giver

I agree that probably the best thing for you to do would be to stick with the MTB and save until you can buy something decent. DO NOT buy the Wal MArt bike...you're asking for trouble. It will be unreliable and you will end up hating it.

I usually don't recommend that newbies shop on e-bay, but if you absolutely must spend money now, it may be about your only option (apart form local classifieds). You an find older road bikes (downtube shifters) in your price range that, after a tune up, should be emminently rideable. Fit is an issue, but you should be able to go to your LBS and figure out *about* what fits and then apply that knowledge to shopping online. Know that whatever you get won't be perfenct, but with a little research, you should get something useable.

Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CONNONDALE-TRIATHLON-ROAD-BIKE_W0QQitemZ7213606978QQcategoryZ98084QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem 

2006-01-24 7:51 AM
in reply to: #330434

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Even though I am a road bike elitist/biased/snob, I still say you get what you pay for .......

Race the bike you have for awhile, put the money for the new bike into a savings account and add when you can. Once you hit the $600 or $700 range you can get a quality bike that will be sized to fit you and you will be significantly happier and get more use out of it.

Edited by Daremo 2006-01-24 7:52 AM
2006-01-24 8:07 AM

I appreciate everyone's input. I have decided to listen to the wiser people and not buy this bike. I did go look at it, and it looked ok to me, but what do I know? I will plan on using the MTB this season, but will continue to check craigslist.org for a steal in my area. I work in advertising sales, and one of my clients is a local chain of bike stores. I am meeting with the owner next week, and I will seek his advice on getting a deal. Maybe I'll get lucky and he'll have something just right that he'll be willing to forgo his profit on! How great would that be?

Thanks to everyone!

Chris

2006-01-24 5:47 PM

Champion

There is a good market of used equipment out there, you just have to keep your eyes open.  6 months ago I sold my old Cannondale road bike, 58 cm, CAAD-3 frame, 8 speed Ultegra group, stock wheels that came with the bike originally.  I bought it new in 1999, so it was 6 years old, and I let it go for $400.  I had a pair of Spinergy Rev-X carbon fiber wheels that I used on it, but sold them separately for $250.  This bike was light years ahead of a Wal-Mart bike, for only a couple hundred more.

2006-01-24 5:56 PM

User image

Regular
Victoria,BC
you can always check www.pinkbike.com they have tons of bikes parts and info

I'm using my MTB for my 1st tri....i have slicks on it and i have had the front shocks pumped firm so i have no suspension
2006-01-24 6:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio

Other than ebay it's hard to find good used bikes.  I couldn't find a bike shop in my area that deals with them.  My advice is to start riding with a group.  You're likely to find lots of people who want to upgrade and would be happy to sell you their old bike.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Walmart Road Bike Rss Feed