General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-05 3:25 PM

User image

Dallas, TX
Subject: Hi

lurked here a bit - figured I'd go ahead, take the plunge, introduce myself and maybe take the opportunity to pose a couple of questions.

I'm 28, and I'm a little overweight, and still slightly out of shape. I swam a bit in highschool, made all-american in a couple of events, but I was 100pct sprint - I hated everything over 200 yds (I have a pretty big build - 5'11 220lbs - was maybe 195 in highschool) I haven't paid much attention to the swim leg yet, as my form is pretty solid - I think it's a matter of cranking out the practice yards. Two years ago, I did the Hotter than Hell Hundred (I only did 100km - not 100 miles) on my mountain bike, but stopped cycling shortly thereafter.

I've been getting back in shape for the last 2 months or so and I'm really pleased with my progress thus far - I had never run farther than about 2 miles in my life and i'm up to biking 20 (1hr 5min), followed immediately by a 4.5 (39min) mile run.

Initially I was just trying to get in shape enough to do a sprint tri, but I've suprised myself on the running, so I'm thinking maybe i'll try to do one with a 10k run instead (I'm almost positive the running leg is going to be the bottle neck for me)

QUESTION 1: I find it a lot easier to bike first and then run - I think I get into my 2nd wind (or whatever) during the bike and so I'm not so focused on how hard it is to run when i first start running. Is there a good reason not to train this way... SHOULD I do some running workouts without biking first?

QUESTION 2: So far I've trained almost entirely solo. I really want to stick with it, and I've been unable to find someone who wants to train with me on a somewhat consistent basis. I'm thinking I'd like to join some sort of club - either TRI or maybe just running - that's where I need the most help / focus. What things should I look for in a club? How much is reasonable to pay for membership - are there free ones? I live in Dallas, TX - can someone point me in the right direction to look for clubs of this sort?

Thanks in advance!

Keith

PS - This is an excellent site - Keep up the good work.

2004-05-05 3:32 PM
in reply to: #23127

User image

Subject: RE: Hi
Hey, we posted ours at the same time!

Reading your thread gave me the idea to put a short bike on my morning run - for fun and MOTIVATION.
2004-05-05 4:36 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Keith:

Eventually there will be clubs posted on this site, but I think that if you go to www.trifuel.com they have a yellow pages listing for clubs--I'm not sure how often they update. Also of course, you can do an internet search. Lastly, it's always good to go into a bike shop or sports store (but this rarely works in chain stores) and ask them about what kind of clubs are operating in your area.

I'm not a part of a tri-club but I join up with a local cycling club on some of their group rides. Also their are various open water swimming clubs too.

Welcome, Keith! It's good to have you here. Enjoy the ride!

Dana
2004-05-06 10:20 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
THere has to be a tri club near you! As Dana said, keep checking our site.

Bike then run is fine! Stick with what works!
2004-05-07 8:49 AM

Veteran
Keller, TX

1.  Welcome to the site.  Glad to have you here.

2.  Training the way you are (doing bricks already) is good.  Depending on how often you do it, it might stress your body a bit, but if it's not a problem now, don't worry about it.

3.  Check out Richardson Bike Mart, Run 0n, or one of the local running shops.  They have lots of info on different events and which clubs sponsor them, etc.  They are also way cool about helping you out.

TB

2004-05-07 11:02 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Hi Keith and welcome! Sounds like you are doing very well with your training. I don't have the experience to answer your first question and don't live in Dallas to answer the second, so I'm not terribly useful to you other than to say best of luck with your training!

I swam in high school also, and a guy on our team sounds just like you. He had a big muscular build also and was a very good sprinter, but hated to swim more than 150 yds at a time. He was darn good, though--every time I swim a lap in 35-40 seconds and think that it's pretty good, I remember that Kurt from high school could do it in 21. Ack! Oh well.

Kelly

2004-05-07 12:11 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member
great job on your progress thus far!  welcome to bt.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi Rss Feed