General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adjusting bar height?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-23 8:33 AM

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
Subject: Adjusting bar height??
I borrowed a bike from my uncle to train on for a while, do determine if I like it enough to actually buy a new bike.

It is a Raleigh 10 speed from the mid 90s.

I adjusted the seat height with no problem, but I can't get the bars to move up?
I loosened a large nut below the stem, which turned fairly hard.
But they still wouldn't pull up. I can't see anything else that might do it.

Anyone know how to do this? I'm sorry, I forgot to take a picture this morning.
Or might it not be adjustable?

2006-01-23 12:05 PM
in reply to: #329838

User image

Expert
Olathe, KS
Subject: RE: Adjusting bar height??

I assume it's the older quill type stem.  There should be a bolt (there may be a rubber cap over the top of it) with access from the top of the stem that you can loosen then raise up the stem a little.  Not too much or the quill can't bite into the steerer tube.

PS the bolt below the stem just tightens the headset.  Make sure to retighten that before riding.

Edited by speedball 2006-01-23 12:07 PM
2006-01-23 2:36 PM
in reply to: #330010

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
I did retighten the nut I had loosened.

Is that bolt usually a hex bolt?
I saw that bolt, but thought it would remove the stem not adjust height.
I'll try it tonight.

Thanks
2006-01-23 2:50 PM

The first thing i would ask is: Is this a fixed or adjustable headset? Most "modern" bikes have fixed headsets......with the seatpost being able to be adjusted for pedal stroke. These are very different bikes from the schwin 27" bikes we rode as a kid with a handle bar adustment bolt.

Take a look at the headset and determine if it is fixed or not.....i'm thinking it is. If you need to place the bars higher....got to a bike shop and they can change the stem to a different length---much cheaper than a new bike.

My advice is also this: GO BUY A BIKE!!!

By making a committment to the bike you will be more motivated to train and race (it is sooooo much fun). Just a thought.

----------------------------
On your left......i'm passing you!!
2006-01-23 9:26 PM
in reply to: #330156

User image

Expert
Olathe, KS

Alextriguy - 2006-01-23 2:50 PM The first thing i would ask is: Is this a fixed or adjustable headset? Most "modern" bikes have fixed headsets......with the seatpost being able to be adjusted for pedal stroke. These are very different bikes from the schwin 27" bikes we rode as a kid with a handle bar adustment bolt. Take a look at the headset and determine if it is fixed or not.....i'm thinking it is. If you need to place the bars higher....got to a bike shop and they can change the stem to a different length---much cheaper than a new bike. My advice is also this: GO BUY A BIKE!!! By making a committment to the bike you will be more motivated to train and race (it is sooooo much fun). Just a thought.

Huh???  :^)   If he's got a nut under that stem it is the older threaded style headset.  Most manufacturers didn't switch the road bikes over until long after mountain bikes went threadless. 

Yes it's an allen (hex) bolt.  You should be able to get 1-2" of height adjustment.  Your other option if you want a broad selection of stem heights/angles is a threadless stem adapter and a new threadless type stem.  They sell them at Nashbar etc.  I put one on a cyclocross bike I built up and it works fine.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=119&subcategory=1185&brand=&sku=9755&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

2006-01-24 7:57 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
You have a quill stem, where the fork is "threaded" and requires a screwed headset (the 32mm nut you loosened). You will need to loosen the 6mm allen bolt that is located on the top of the stem as it enters the steer tube. Then you can raise the bars as needed to fit you.

Pay attention to the "max" line on the stem as going over that can cause you big problems. Also, the proper range for the location of the bars should be when the bottom part of the nose of the seat is just over the top of the stem when you draw an imaginary line accross.

But what do I know .....

2006-01-24 8:03 AM
in reply to: #330479

User image

Expert
Olathe, KS

Daremo - 2006-01-24 7:57 AM You have a quill stem, where the fork is "threaded" and requires a screwed headset (the 32mm nut you loosened). You will need to loosen the 6mm allen bolt that is located on the top of the stem as it enters the steer tube.

What the heck?  Did I not already say this??  32mm NUT SIZE SHOW OFF!!! 

Heeheeeeeee.  Good info.

2006-01-24 8:25 AM

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
Thanks guys, I didn't get to try the suggestions last night.
Volleyball ran late, I had to vote, then started watching the results on TV before falling asleep.

I don't want much height change, just 1/2" would be nice I think.

Don't worry. I had to buy a bike helmet, so I was at the LBS yesterday.
Boy, new bikes sure are shiney......
2006-01-25 7:29 AM
in reply to: #330505

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
The bars moved just as was suggested.
The max line was clearly visible, and I was able to move the bars up about 3/4 of an inch.
I set it right at the max line.

I haven't got to try it out yet, as the weather was crap last night.

Thanks for the help guys.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adjusting bar height?? Rss Feed