General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike choices Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-10-20 8:02 PM

Subject: Bike choices
I've just started training for a tri and am in need of a bike. As a college student I can only spend about 1000. does any one have any advice on a model I should look at?
THanks

2003-10-21 3:59 PM
in reply to: #1328

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Bike choices

hmmmm...i still mtb....

find a reputable bike shop near you, tell them your current need and future goals...when u get hooked after your first, make sure its reasonably upgradeable.

a great article buying a new bike 

although if u r not sure if u r really into triathlons yet...consider a used or a cheap wallmart special.  will save u money and if u want a tri-specific bike after your first, u will be a lot more knowledgeable. and that 1000 will do u a lot more good.

2003-10-21 7:24 PM

Veteran
Brisbane-Melbourne, Australia
What ever you do dont go to the shop and say "Ive got 1000, what can that get me". Do your research, find out what bike is best for you. I agree with Rons comments, also ask around, how seroius will I be, can I up grade it, what kind of racing will I be doing, how often ect ect. I had my "FELT" imported from the states and its a great ride, and a good price. Just look around buddy.
2003-10-21 7:59 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Don't be afraid to buy a used bike. If you check with the local bike shop you might be able to get more bike for less money if you go used. Just make sure you get a bike that will fit you. I have ridden with guys who just bought a bike because of price and it is obvious that it doesn't fit.

Still Tri'n
Michael
2003-10-27 8:38 PM

Las Vegas, Nevada
For a 1000 bucks or so, you can get into a Cannondale R600 road bike. Nice entry level bike with Shimano 105 components, VERY light frame, and a decent wheel set. Cannondale makes a great bike and they have good customer service. Trek has the TREK 1500 road bike for about the same price. Ultegra rear derailler upgrade but the bike is almost 2 pounds heavier. Go to a bike shop and test ride them. If they let you rent, do so and see what you like and what is comfortable. No matter what bike you end up with just make sure you get properly fitted for the right size bike. Good luck!!
2003-10-28 7:20 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike choices Rss Feed