General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting to know folks in MO! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2007-01-04 9:24 PM
in reply to: #642396

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO
Subject: RE: Getting to know folks in MO!

jcdenton2000 - 2007-01-04 1:45 PM Even though I'm from the KC area, what good tris are there in the St. Louis area?
I did a couple last year in STL along with getsome, Ktriathlete, and slovegreen - Alligator's creek and St. Peter's RecPlex Fall.  Check out getsome's RR, they're pretty good.

Also, I used to live in KC and have a lot of friends there that I don't see often enough, so I've been wanting to do a race up there.  Let me know if you come across any that sound good.

2007-01-09 9:10 AM
in reply to: #330007

User image

Hey everyone, I'm MARS from Blue Springs.  I live right outside KC next to Independence.  Its hard to find a place to ride without alot of stop and go and HILLS!  Does anyone know of any good routes?  Is anyone from the area interested in meeting up for a Friday or Sunday ride (after Church of course)?  Let me know.
2007-01-09 11:22 AM
in reply to: #647549

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
MARS - I'm from Independence, so I know what you mean about riding with hills. As for trails to ride, the only trails I'm familiar with are offroad trials (Landahl park and Little Blue Trace). As for road cycling, I travel north of Blue Springs/Independence to the Atherton Valley and cycling up there - less traffic and better scenary.
2007-01-09 1:57 PM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

Hey guys look up shawn barr.  He is pretty active on BT and is in the KC area and you can always go to your lbs (local bike store) and ask.  I have gotten some good routs from those kind of guys.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

2007-01-21 8:02 PM

I'm Dennis. I'm 52. Been racing around 10 years. I do alot of the St. Louis sprints, race with Columbia Multisport. My wife, brother , daughter, and now grandkids race.
IM Florida 2003. I have done several 1/2 IM, I hate Olympic distance but love sprints. This year we are doing http://www.holytoledotri.com/ as our early tri.
Bikes : Cervelo P3----QR Kilo-----Cyclocross bike----two MTB's----Trek 5200---Several old bikes.
I teach a triathlon class in Rolla each year. I teach health Education and Psycology for Drury University.
Favorite race Woodriver Sprint. Fav. tri spot. www.swimbikerunstlouis.com
Would love to meet Missouri people!
2007-01-27 7:55 AM
in reply to: #662686

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

counselor - 2007-01-21 8:02 PM I'm Dennis. I'm 52. Been racing around 10 years. I do alot of the St. Louis sprints, race with Columbia Multisport. My wife, brother , daughter, and now grandkids race. IM Florida 2003. I have done several 1/2 IM, I hate Olympic distance but love sprints. This year we are doing http://www.holytoledotri.com/as our early tri. Bikes : Cervelo P3----QR Kilo-----Cyclocross bike----two MTB's----Trek 5200---Several old bikes. I teach a triathlon class in Rolla each year. I teach health Education and Psycology for Drury University. Favorite race Woodriver Sprint. Fav. tri spot. www.swimbikerunstlouis.com Would love to meet Missouri people!
Hi Dennis.  I'm Joe. 

My daughter wants to go to Drury.  She has gone to the summer basketball camps and swam for a little while at Drury.  We live in Republic and I run my business, Elite Roofing, in Springfield.  I found triathlon last summer when I did the 5K road race at the Concreteman.  I did two sprints last summer, Alligator's Creek in O'Fallon and St. Peter's Rec Plex in the fall, which my wife did with me.  I was so excited after my first tri that I over did it and developed ITBS and have been dealing with that since.  Right now I'm training for the Lonestar sprint March 31st.

I'm curious about the Columbia Multisport Club, and I'd like to know how that works for you, assuming you live in the Springfield area.  I've read a little about the organization and I'm impressed.  I joined the Ozark Multisport Club, but haven't attended any events yet.  They are well intentioned, I'm sure, but don't seem to be anything like Columbia.  Probably due to lack luster members like myself.

Good to meet you and I look forward to seeing you around BT.

2007-01-31 9:23 AM

New user
Willard/Springfield, MO
Hmmm. I wonder if living in Southwest Missouri causes one to choose a "Run ? Run" name?

Well, I live in Greene County just outside the Willard city limits. I'm very much interested in connecting with those experienced in tris in the area. I just joined Counselor's group yesterday (now it's marked "full"), so I hope to hear from him.

Anyway, I'm a long-time runner with friends who are into tris and have convinced me I should "tri" to do the same. I just got a bike and have a fitting slated for this Saturday with Ken Hood (that name may sound familiar to you all -- he and Diane do the duathlon series out at Fellows Lake every year along with timing at different events in Missouri).

However, the bottom line is I have a LOT of work to do to get ready. I first have to learn how to ride my new bike (it's a tri bike), so that's going to take a lot of indoor miles just to get comfortable...then (with some fear) I'll be taking this thing out on the road to work on balance. I'll probably just go out to Wilson's Creek and do repeats (and a lot of praying) on that back stretch before tackling hills!

Anyway, I'm comfortable with running, just have a lot to learn about biking and swimming. I'm also just getting used to navigating around this site -- I know I haven't figured out all the bells and whistles (or even the little "ching-ching" bell on the site's handlebars, for that matter), so if you see me asking some "not so bright" questions the site already covers or it's obvious I'm missing some feature that the site provides, feel free to offer info!
2007-02-01 7:52 AM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

Hey Dan, Welcome!!

I've got to get some work done, so I'll check back later.

2007-02-06 2:02 PM

St Louis, MO
Hey Everyone,

Just thought id throw out an introduction...my name is Doug (26) and im living in STL City. I decided that I need a different challenge from road/mtb racing, so I am going to see how I can make myself hurt with Tri's. Ive been racing cat3/expert for the last 8 years so i am pretty confident on the bike, and I do some swimming off-season for racing so I think i'll be ok there too...I just havent ran in the last, uhhh, 10 years.

The fun starts this week when I go get fitted for some new shoes and start the training. Speaking of, does everyone like the RunningCenter at Manchester/Rock Hill, or is there somewhere else I should go?

Im already halfway through my build cycle for road racing that starts in late feb, but I am sort of nervous about running much in the beginning, even though I think i could physically, because the last thing I want to do is injur anything, so im thinking about starting out with a few easy trips to the paths of forest park and see how it goes. This is going to be sort of odd cutting back on cycling and doing more running/swimming since im used to being on the bike 5-6 times a week during the season.

I still havent picked a race yet, since i have no idea how the running will go...maybe i'll start with a sprint and see how that works out.

Anyway, glad to hear theres some more locals around...If anyone needs help finding rides/routes or bike help, let me know, I have tons of routes mapped out in my head between 30min - 5+hrs.....and if you have any bike questions, just ask, Ive got a little over a decade of shop experience as well.

Doug

Edited by Redline1 2007-02-06 2:03 PM
2007-02-06 2:38 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis

Welcome, Doug.

You'll do great in tri with your cycling and swimming background.   Running is simply a matter of building volume in a very slow and safe way. Given the required fitness level to race in the Cat-3 level, I would venture to say that you'll exel at this new adventure.

This season, I'm really looking to bulk up my cycling capabilities, so I could really use the encouragement from somebody like yourself to do some longer rides as the spring unfolds.

There are lots of great sprints in the area.  I did most of them last season, so you can read my race reports (and those of the others in the STL BT group) to get a feel for the course and atmosphere.

Oh, and I've purchased my last 2 pairs of racing/training shoes from The Running Center. They're prices are rock-solid.  You can't do better at Dick's or Sports Authority.  However, I'm interested in checking out the newest running store in the area called Big River Running in Ballwin, MO.

See you around,

~B

2007-02-06 9:52 PM

User image

Expert
Phoenix, AZ
Hey Doug,

Good to see a another new St. Louis face. Let us know when you get a race picked out. Rec Plex in June is a good one. It was my first last year.

2007-02-07 7:00 AM

Master
STL
It's cool to see some other stl'ers out there...where do you train (swim, lift, ect)?

Does anyone belong to any of the tri clubs out here?

What are the planned races?

mine: JCC indoor tri, Rec Plex (spring and fall), Iron Abe, Alligator Creek and club championships in september. I'm also going to do the stl 1/2 marry, a bike ride in Lebonon, IL, the MS Challange and a couple 5-10k's.

2007-02-07 9:21 AM

User image

Expert
Phoenix, AZ
I am signed up to do the St. Louis Marathon, but that will depend on how the rest of my training goes before then. I will definately be doing Rec Plex in June, Possibly Race for Sight in May.

I really enjoyed Alligator Creek last year, too.
2007-02-09 4:16 PM

St Louis, MO
so where does everyone in STL swim? I need to figure that out first...I was thinking WebsterU maybe.
2007-02-10 9:11 AM
in reply to: #685736

Master
STL
I swim at the JCC in Creve Coure (i can not spell that city for the life of me!).

2007-02-28 12:59 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis, MO
I'm in St. Charles county and swim at the Rec-Plex.

2007-03-06 2:38 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
Hey All,

My name is Carrie, 30, and this is my first season. I have done two indoor tria's (JCC and Wildwood YMCA). I loved them and I am hooked. I have no experience with anything and just started running in September and swimming and biking in January (yes, 2 months ago).

I signed up for Spring Rec Plex and am already nervous. It is my first outdoor. I am thinking of doing the Race for Sight in Columbia in May as a warm up. Any thoughts?

Hey Doug, I could use a good bike riding route, hopefully out in West County. Do you know any? Is there a bike group out here?

B, how is the wife feeling? She is getting close!

Edited by my3sons 2007-03-06 2:38 PM
2007-03-23 8:08 AM
in reply to: #713630

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, MO

my3sons - 2007-03-06 2:38 PM Hey All, My name is Carrie, 30, and this is my first season. I have done two indoor tria's (JCC and Wildwood YMCA). I loved them and I am hooked. I have no experience with anything and just started running in September and swimming and biking in January (yes, 2 months ago). I signed up for Spring Rec Plex and am already nervous. It is my first outdoor. I am thinking of doing the Race for Sight in Columbia in May as a warm up. Any thoughts? Hey Doug, I could use a good bike riding route, hopefully out in West County. Do you know any? Is there a bike group out here? B, how is the wife feeling? She is getting close!

Hi Carrie!!!  Welcome to BT!!

This is also my first season doing tris and I am doing the Race for Sight here in Columbia.  The swim is indoors so that shouldnt be a problem for you.   The bike is not too bad, there is one hill called "the wall"  that you will have to negotiate, but if you get a run at it and spin up it in a low gear you shouldnt have too many problems.   The run is downtown and is small hills and flat areas.    I think it is going to be a fun race. 

Again welcome and if you decide to do the race, let us know and we can meet up before or after.

Josh

2007-03-29 9:01 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
I swim at the Wildwood YMCA. I love it there. They also offer a great triathlon swim class on Monday and Wednesday nights. It was very helpful as a beginner.
2007-06-12 10:33 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
Hi Everyone!

I'm Maura (30) and I live in the Metro-East. I checked out the IL forum, but didn't see anyone near St. Louis.

My first tri was the Fall Rec-Plex last year. Since then I did the JCC indoor long course, and the May Madness Sprint in Effingham, IL. Next up is the Scott AFB Tri on Saturday, Mattoon Beach 1/4 Iron in July, and then my big race ~ Steelhead 70.3 in August. I'd love to do LSL, but we'll be out of town for a wedding. I'm sure I will do the fall Rec-Plex since that was my first!

I belong to the O'Fallon, IL YMCA Tri Club, so I do most of my swim, bike, and run training at the Y and around the back roads of O'Fallon and Lebanon. I also love the MCT Trails!
2007-06-30 8:54 AM

User image

New user

St. Louis, Missouri
Hello all!

I'm Christy, 32. Mother of 2 kids (Josh is 8, Katie is 5). I've been married to my husband Ryan for 10 years this past May. I live in Ofallon, MO and teach 5th grade in the Wentville School District. This is the very beginning of the journey for me. I decided to follow an 8-week plan that is designed to get a person ready for a mini-tria with the intention of getting over my weight loss plateau and not really with the intention of actually ever running a race. After my 2nd pregnancy, I was 5'1" and 160 pounds. By the time my daughter was three, I had dropped to 120lbs with a lot of hard work. I was more fit in my early 30's than in my early 20's. However, this past year I've gained some unwanted weight (about 15lbs) due to laziness and a busy schedule (yeah yeah, I know, excuses, excuses). Well the training has got me hooked and excited to try a race. My goal is to participate in the Rec Plex or Lake St. Louis race next season.

Anyway, I'm glad to see this forum is active and I look forward to the local friendships to help encourage me along the way.

Oh, and to the "Where do you swim?" question - my inlaws have a 32 foot pool, so I do a lot (and I mean A LOT) of laps. I'm going to have to find a place to swim in the winter. I will probably go to the Ofallon Y.

And I work out at DORAN fitness in Winghaven. When my membership is up there, I'm probably going to go to the Ofallon Y for the pool factor. It kinda stinks though because Doran is so close to my house. Hopefully, by then, I'll be so hooked the distance factor won't deter me.

Christy

Edited by tchrnmommy 2007-06-30 8:58 AM

2007-07-11 4:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Glen Carbon
I am Louis Frick and I am new to Triathlon. Two races so far this year, St. Anthony's in St. Peterburg, and May Madness in Effingham in June. I am not very good, but love it. I am hoping to do a couple more this year and the Babler Beast and Aligator Creek are two I am looking at. Ialso want to do the fall Rec Plex.

I am 38, married and have two children. Paige is 7 and Taylor is 2. Florissant is not an easy place to train. I pretty much get most of my training at the fitness center at work and swim at Flo Valley when it is open. (closed for the summer for renovations) My neiborhood has som good hills so I try to do some locally. Any North County Folks?
2007-07-11 7:52 PM
in reply to: #881903

Master
STL

You must be my neighbor. You don't hear of many n county folks training for tris!

look at my logs, i usually note my routes. We'll definatly keep in touch. You can IM me or email me, [email protected]

gotta run, thekids are begging to go for their pre bedtime walk.

2007-08-17 6:27 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Hi all... My name is Andy, Im about to turn 29. I enjoy long walks on the beach... jk...

Ok, I live in Clayton, work out at SLU and also at Ballys in Clayton when SLU is closed. I ride the roads from Clayton to the riverfront trail, usually passing through Forest Park. I run basically the same route. Swimming is all done at SLU and Ballys. Anyone know any open water in STL that we an use?

This year Im doing Chicago Accenture and Escape to Bermuda. I am tempted to up the ante to a 70.3 next summer, but have yet to decide.

Nice to "meet" you all!
2007-08-19 12:12 PM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO
Good luck Andy!  Welcome aboard!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting to know folks in MO! Rss Feed  

of 5