General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting to know folks in MO! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2006-01-23 12:03 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
Subject: Getting to know folks in MO!

Ok, here we go.... start of a new thread for all of us getting started and gettig chatty. Let's do full intro's, and we can start making a plan for training get togethers or get to know each other ones!

I'll go first.

I'm Sarah, I'm almost 29 and I live in Crestwood (Southwest County). I'm married with a darling dog (no kids, but sometime). Last year, I did 2 sprint tris. I biked before I swam (recreationally), and swam before I ran. My longest run to date was the St. Peter's RecPlex last year. I have a very senstive IT band and fear injuring it. This year, I'm thinking about an Oly (but haven't committed yet) or will do a few sprints. I'm also contemplating another week long ride in Iowa (RAGBRAI ).

Who's next??? 

2006-01-23 12:25 PM
in reply to: #330007

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Getting to know folks in MO!
I'm Brandon, and I'm 25. I like long walks on the beach... and... wait, never mind... wrong forum.
I'm Brandon, and I plan to do a few sprints this season. I can run the 3 miles. I can bike 10-20, so I've got something I can work with there. My fear is that I'll drown before I even have a chance to do either of those, though. Honestly.
I think doing an indoor tri would bore the heck out of me, but I might try it anyway. The thing is, I like to be OUTside.
I want to be competitive, but I understand that I need to focus on just being able to COMPLETE a race first.
~B

Feel free to ask questions, offer tips and advice, or make fun of me. It's all good!
2006-01-23 9:15 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
Great idea for this forum, Sarah!

I'm Susy, I'm 38 and am married with 3 kids--4yrs, and 2yr old twins. It was my dream to do a triathlon before I had kids, and I finally did it last summer, 2 sprints. Now I'm hooked. I was a swimmer growing up, but neither a runner nor a cyclist...what makes me interested in this whole thing is still a mystery--but I'm hooked. I've been a casual lurker on BT and have been doing the training logs, which I love, until I saw a thread about STL from getsome and jumped right in. I like the idea that I have to keep filling those squares on the calendar log and that others might see them too, so I have to keep 'em coming.

DID I MENTION I LOVE THAT CALENDAR FEATURE?!

Let's keep posting here about local stuff, I will check it often.

FUTURE ALERT: I think I will be changing my username, so I will let y'all know.
2006-01-23 9:56 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
OK, username changed, BT admin is very fast. I am soozey, the triathlete formerly known as elaine312.

Thx
2006-01-24 9:53 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Subject: Interesting YMCA experience this morning
In my efforts to become a better swimmer, and embarass myself the smallest amount possible, I figured getting to the Y at 5:30AM as the doors opened, would be a good idea. I mean, who else could possible be up that early?!
As it turns out, several people are up that early.
It was kind of eerie as I happened on the scene where about a dozen people were basking in the soft glow of the streetlamps, staring intently at the door of the Y at 5:29AM, almost willing them to open so that they might get out of the cold. I guess you had to be there to get the full effect of how everybody was so evenly spaced out under the overhang, and how nobody said a word to each other. Creepy.
The door was finally unlocked, and the first 3 people hurriedly shuffled their way in. I took the opportunity to hop to the front and hold the door open for some folks because it appeared to awkward, and there was a trash can in the way which nobody bothered to move. So I stood there holding the door open, nodding and smililng at the dozen or so bodies that passed through it.
NOT ONE of them acknowledged me. NOBODY said, "thanks." Not even a quick glance that suggested that they appreciated the gesture. I was dumbfounded that I had just been in the company of so many unfriendly individuals. Bizarre.
Normally, in this situation, after a person holds a door open for 3 or 4 people, another brave soul steps to the plate and offers, "Go ahead. I'll get the door. Thanks." Not today my friends. Today was a particularly selfish day in lives of about a dozen gym-goers from Kirkwood.
I hope it was just a one-time thing.

Carry on.
~B
2006-01-24 8:07 PM

User image

Regular
St. Louis, MO

drmac checking in from the East Side.  This is my third season of doing triathlons.  I also do many cycling events in the area and I participate in a few running races as well.

This season I will complete several sprints, two or three Olympic, and one half IronMan in addition to my cycling races and running events.  I also plan on running in the St. Louis Marathon and the Chicago Marathon.

I am strongly considering planning an IronMan race in 2007... I'll see how this season goes and if I can find a race that will fit my schedule.

I am always looking for new places to run or ride and people to train with.

Chao! 

2006-01-25 9:22 AM

User image

St. Louis, MO

Brandon, what kind of car is in your avator? I'm thinking it's something my hubby would dig (german perhaps?)....

2006-01-25 9:51 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis
G'morning Sarah,

The car is a Subaru WRX. I treat that car better than I treat myself. My family and I have driven Subaru's for quite a while, and absolutely love them. I've only had my new (2002) baby since June. It's a blast to drive, and kicks *** in the snow/slush/rain. I looked forever before I found the perfect used one.

I considered going German (Audi A4 or S4), but my research revealed that more often than not, the models I was looking at were riddled with issues and sub-par warranty coverage. But in my opinion, Audi makes the most beautifully ergonomic and well-appointed interior of all. They are impressive!
2006-01-29 11:18 AM

User image

Regular
St. Louis, MO

Greetings!  What did everyone do over the weekend?  What are your plans for February?

I am looking for some trail runs in the area and some longer (10-15 miles) path runs.  Does anybody have some good locations? 

2006-01-29 3:34 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO

Dang, if I knew it was gonna be this nice today, I would've tried to corral us all together for a run!  Spring can't get here soon enough!

I finished my swim challege goal in a swim on Saturday and ran 3 miles today!  Feels good to be back in a schedule. It's so gorgeous out!

2006-01-29 8:08 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
Sarah, congrats on the swim challenge! You have really been an inspiration. Do you follow swim workouts from a source or just plan them out yourself?

Great weekend for running outside--I ran Sat morn in the rain but hey it was great.

In response to drmac's trail running/STL running questions, I was thinking of posting on this MO forum a thread about good places to swim, bike, or run in STL. In fact, I'm gonna do that right now.

2006-01-29 8:23 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
Posted:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Post your Local recommendations in STL area (eastside welcome too!) for running.
2006-01-31 6:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Joplin, Missouri

Hi all~~Sarah, Brandon, drmac & Soosy-

I'm Suzi

A fellow Missourian here...and as far from St. Louis as one could possible get and still be in Missouri.--- Joplin.

This is my 3rd season of trying for a tri- My first season of trying, I shattered my radial head (elbow) during a mtn. biking trip in Kentucky; The second season, I got pregnant and well...fast forward 2 years and here I am.

Cycling is my passion.  I love swimming (but need lotsa practice) and well, I just suck at running; but carrying 55 extra lbs. doesn't help.  I have deemed 2006 to be MY year after two years of solid dedication to our one and only son. 

My first tri is scheduled for 6/25/06 in Fayetteville, AR-  1000yd/19mi/4mi and it will offcially be my 40th birthday present to myself.  I am excited about my goal and can't wait to share training and race tips and experiences with all of you!!

2006-01-31 8:07 AM

User image

St. Louis, MO
Hi Suzi!

Glad you found this thread! I think I have been to Joplin but I need to look at a map to be sure. Your story kind of sounds like mine in that I have had to put things off while having kids but in a way I couldn't have done it without them--my desire to do something for myself and basically keep sane (!) led me back to athletics and inspired me to try triathlons. Now I really think I have more patience and energy for them because of working out and having new goals.

Springfield is kind of near you, is that right? My cousins live there and are avid runners, seems like there are some fun events there.

glad to meet ya!

2006-02-21 11:54 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Subject: This just in...
Well, I did it. I actually signed up and paid for my first triathlon. I plan to do several others before it, but the Lake St. Louis Tri marks my first sign-up. A little b-day present to myself!
Anybody else going to do that race?
~B
2006-02-21 8:15 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
Subject: RE: This just in...

AWESOME!  I signed up, and I saw in Suzie's log that she signed up too. Training buddies!!!! Yippee!

Now, I need to decide between the Octomax at Innsbrook or St. Peter's RecPlex in June. I'm dying to check out the Innsbrook course, and I didn't register for that Oly because I've heard its hard. RecPlex is a known quanitity and a good race (but not as much fun race "stuff". But, I finally committed to SOMETHING. drmac will be so proud. Laughing

2006-02-22 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis
awsome. we'll all be in it together. fun.

honestly, if i had to choose, i would definitely do Innsbrook. my in-laws have a place out there, and i spend lots of time there in the summer golfing and fishing and being lazy. it's absolutely gorgeous, and i can't imagine it being anything less than a stellar race. however... i have to miss it because of work. it's not all bad, though... at least i'll be in San Diego!
I'm planning on the Rec-Plex tri for sure, though. i've heard good things about it, so i'm still excited to try it.
~B
2006-02-22 9:00 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
That's right, I'm in too--Oly at Lake St Louis! I will probably also do St Peters in June, I think the registration is open already.

Sarah, if you are still on the fence about Innsbrook, there is that Women's Tri Clinic April 1--it might give you a chance to size it up and talk to the people about it at the clinic. Just an idea of course.

2006-02-22 9:00 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
That's right, I'm in too--Oly at Lake St Louis! I will probably also do St Peters in June, I think the registration is open already.

Sarah, if you are still on the fence about Innsbrook, there is that Women's Tri Clinic April 1--it might give you a chance to size it up and talk to the people about it at the clinic. Just an idea of course.

2006-02-22 9:01 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO

2006-02-22 9:02 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
Oh my goodness, a triple post. Is that a first on Beginner Triathlete?! oops...

2006-02-23 5:02 AM
in reply to: #352627

User image

Veteran
Joplin, Missouri
That's Right...That's Right...That's Right
2006-02-23 11:59 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis, MO

Where is the Women's Tri Clinic?  Is there a website with info?

I am signing up for the Short Course Lake St. Louis.  I am also doing Rec-Plex in June, then a long course in Kansas City.

2006-02-23 6:10 PM
in reply to: #352985

User image

St. Louis, MO
katieyows - 2006-02-23 11:59 AM

Where is the Women's Tri Clinic? Is there a website with info?

I am signing up for the Short Course Lake St. Louis. I am also doing Rec-Plex in June, then a long course in Kansas City.

I think its put on my ultramax.... www.ultramaxtri.com.

2006-09-26 6:04 PM

I'm new. I'm down here between Rolla and Lebanon in a little town called Richland Missouri.
I work at Ft. Leonard Wood and try to train as much as I possibly can. I really wish there was someone near that I could train with however.
-Jarrett
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting to know folks in MO! Rss Feed  

of 5