General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Fat body in Memphis needs help Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-26 5:19 PM

Subject: Fat body in Memphis needs help
Im living in Memphis and just got married. Ive always wanted to do a tri. When I was younger (Im sure you've all heard this) I would run 10 miles a day, once walked 60 miles nonstop. I was a scout in the Army....so I was in pretty good shape. Now, however, Im a fatbody.. I cant even jog a half mile....hell I cant even walk a half mile. My BMI that once was around 8% is probably more like 35%.

That being said.... Im going to do a tri, it will be 2007 but Im gonna do it. Can anybody give me some pointers on how to get started....Real help for a stubborn-doesnt-know-how-to-quit-keeps-forgetting-he's-not-21-fatbody? Im afraid Im going to hurt myself when I start this.

I have an appointment for a full physical in a few weeks, and a dietician.

HELP!!

2006-01-26 7:58 PM
in reply to: #332762

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Fat body in Memphis needs help
Welcome!
You can do a tri this year if you have the time and determination to do it. Stubbornness will serve you well in this sport.

Signing up for BT and posting a question is a great start. I would start with a couch-to-5k plan or Michael Pate's Total Sprint plan if you want to jump into all 3 disciplines at once.

You will be surprised what you can do even if you don't have single-digit bodyfat. Just remember to not overdo it, don't increase your distances too far too quickly, and be aware of any potential injuries, especially from the knees down. If you think you're hurting yourself, back off. There's plenty of suffering in this sport, but it should be temporary.

Good luck!
Mike
2006-01-26 8:15 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

First of all congrats on getting married and your decision to do a tri. Having done both, I highly recommend them.

Mike mentioned Michael Pate.  For inspiration, go to his web site www.whenbigboystri.com. He's written a book about his experience as a larger-than-your-average triathlete.

From the sound of it you're coming from an extended period "on the couch" so the key thing is going to be to start off slowly and to not let temporary setbacks stop you. When you start out, you'll be laying down the foundation for what's to come so focus on that.

If Michael's beginning tri plan seems like a lot, you could start with the Couch-to-5k Conservative 28 Week plan which would have you ready for a 5k in August. You could then keep up the running and do a few more races while you add in cycling and swimming to start training for a tri in 2007.

I came "from the couch" after quitting smoking and ran for about 6-7 months before starting tri-training. I think it helped to start with one thing and then get into the more intense stuff once I was in a habit of exercising regularly.  

Good luck! 

2006-01-26 9:25 PM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Welcome from another Tennessean. Good Luck with what ever you decide. I am new and going to be giving Memphis in May a try this year along with many other Bters. Keep your eye opened and I am sure we will alll be getting together be great to see you there!
2006-01-26 9:37 PM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX

I'm going to be #3 to talk about Mike!  I raced with him in a tri in Lafayette last August.   He smoked me on the bike!  He is a true inspiration to anyone who thinks they're not good enough, fast enough, or skinny enough for a triathlon. 

I say find a late-season tri and shoot for that goal.  You'll be itching to get out there and probably won't want to wait until next season.  You've got plenty of time to get a base of training in.  I went from a totally sedentary lifestyle to a sprint in 6 weeks on a whim, but don't do it like I did!  I walked most of the run, just about died on the bike, and nearly drowned on the swim.  I guarantee, you can do this!!  Good luck!

Edited by tri_it_cajun_style 2006-01-26 9:39 PM
2006-01-27 9:54 AM

User image

Expert
Obviously listen to what your doctor tells you, but you might be better off starting off by including walking into your day and by swimming and biking. Depending on your weight, you may very well be better off waiting a bit to start running again. Good luck, and you can finish a sprint tri later this season if you really want to. Good luck, and with your previous background, you have a step up on those that have never been in shape before.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Fat body in Memphis needs help Rss Feed