General Discussion Triathlon Talk » clipless pedals & knee pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-07 6:23 AM

User image

Expert
England
Subject: clipless pedals & knee pain

A few weeks ago I changed to clipless pedals. I have some Miche pedals (Look copy style I believe) which work well and are a joy to use, but recently I have been feeling pain in the soft tissue on the inside of my right knee - especially after my long ride yesterday when I had a constant ache all day afterwards. I'm aware clipless pedals can cause knee problems if not set up correctly so am wondering what I need to do?

Initially I have the cleats on my shoes set 'neutrally' eg so my foot is parallel to the chainrings. On the pedal is a '+' or '-' adjuster but I think this is spring release tension and is set to max '-' already. Maybe this should be on max '+' so there is some float in the pedal? Is there a way to set float so my shoe/knee can move laterally on the pedal during the pedal stroke rather than being fixed in one place throughout the stroke?

The pain is a real concern so please help 

2004-05-07 7:32 AM
in reply to: #23434

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: clipless pedals & knee pain
The "+ -" indicator is for the release tension. You can and should release that tension to begin with new clipless pedals. However, I'm going to be direct here ... don't fudge around with your knees!!!!! You are going to get advice from everyone--everybody has an opinion--most of which will be wrong. GET A PROFESSIONAL TO ADJUST YOUR CLEATS AND YOUR PEDAL FLOAT!
2004-05-07 8:08 AM

User image

Expert
England

Thanks for the direct repsonse (much appreciated) - what sort of professional do I need? My local bike shop said 'trial and error' process but advised me to be very careful, and I don't know who else to turn to? I plan to join a local tri club soon but am not sure if there is anybody I could call a 'pro' that might help me. Are you talking pro cycle coach?

Thanks

2004-05-07 8:21 AM

User image

Expert
England

Just did some research again and it looks like Miche pedals offer ZERO float! I was told I might get a different cleat with a little float in it but just checked with the supplier and there's no such option

I was recommended Speedplay pedals that give up to 28 deg of float vs only 3 deg with a typical Shimano pedal. Has anybody got any experience to back this up or know any better befroe I splash out $150?

Thanks

2004-05-07 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MN.
I agree with getting a professional bike shop to set them for you. But if you decide to do it yourself here's what I read somewhere: Sit on a high chair or kitchen counter (I used workbench in garage) where your feet can dangle below you, sit comfortably and relax legs and feet. Now look at your feet and see which way they are pointing if they point straight forward everything should be set properly now, if they point to the sides or inward you might want to make adjustments to the cleats on the bottom of your shoes so that you can have them a little turned in the right direction while clipped in. AL.
2004-05-07 8:42 AM
in reply to: #23444

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
By professional, I mean someone who is a knowlegeable in the area of fitting you to your pedals, a bike mechanic, a race mechanic, a coach, a bike fitter, anyone, as long as that person does not come out with a silly comment like: "we'll do it by trial and error..." Trial and error! Duh! Your local bike shop is obviously NOT the place to get fitted for anything. Try your local bicycling and tri clubs; members will know where you can find a decent fitter. If you have to, go to another city or town where you can have this done,.

2004-05-07 9:18 AM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
I have used Shimano MTB pedals on my road bikes, 535's for over 5 years, now 520's on new bike for about 6 months. I enjoy using them and the 3-4 degree of float is enough for me. I used a bike once with 0 float peds, my knee hurt in the same place you describe. If you can, you may want to replace them with some others. Never tried speeplay, but they are highly recomended by some of my cycle buddies. Good luck.
Joe

Edited by Freeswimmingfish 2004-05-07 9:20 AM
2004-05-07 9:40 AM

Veteran
Northern IL
I would contact a sports podiatrist and find out if you have foot issues. You may need orthotics in your cycling shoes to keep your leg aligned. Just a thought.

Mike
2004-05-07 9:53 AM

New user
You need to find a professional bike shop or someone that does preofessional bike set ups. I now have an appointment with the doctor. Both my knees are messed up-

I found out that there is a professional bike shop about 45 minutes away that I am calling once I can get the number. I also found out that there is a professional that does bike fittings near me. He charges $250 - but it is a 2.5 hour process for him. Maybe if I had the money I would, but not now. I will stick with the bike shop - they have a tri team that was in the last Spinervals tape.

Call your local bike groups and ask for recommendations

Trial and error? Yeah, ok- Your knees are the last thing you want to do trial and error on!! WOW!!

Oh yeah- and the knee pain might not be from the shoes or clips.... so before you spend anymore $$$ go see a pro!
2004-05-07 10:58 AM

User image

Expert
England
Thanks for all your help - down to the local tri club next week to find out what i need to do.
2004-05-07 1:21 PM
in reply to: #23517

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis, MO
Subject: Or try real LOOK pedals.
They come with either black(no float) or red(float) cleats. In some pedal models you can adjust the amount of float available. I have the 396s and can float either3, 6, or 9 deg. Look for these out on E-bay or on clearance from some of the on-line shops. Once you do this - start with the max float of 9 deg and adjusted to less float if you feel "sloppy" in the pedal. Speedplays are a wonderful pedal but....1) can be expensive, 2) I know of friends that have to lube the "cleat" before each ride to prevent difficult entry, 3) some folks don't like the somewhat smaller pedal platform.

Just my .02

Paul

2004-05-07 4:25 PM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
There's an article in the most recent or next-to-last Bicycling magazine about getting properly fitted. The author had tried 3 different professional fitting methods, from cheapest to most expensive (i.e. the people who do Lance Armstrong), and commented on what they were like and how well they worked for him. It was a really helpful article and had specific contact information for getting professionally fitted to your bike. You might try to track down that magazine.

I note as an anecdote (meaning don't listen to me, find a pro!), that when I first set up my bike I had my seat way too far back and it gave me knee pain until I moved it forward. The local bike guru used a method whereby when the crank is horizontal, a plumb line dropped from the front of your forward kneecap intersects the axis of the pedal. This worked for me. Who knows if it works for everyone.
2004-05-07 5:43 PM

Kansas
2004-05-08 3:21 AM

User image

Expert
England

Thanks for the article - looks helpful and I'll study it in depth a little later, when I get my plumbline and wife sorted to help me!

Right now - resting until absolutely no more knee pain. Just some gentle swimming for a few days which is not too bad timing as we're off on our 9th wedding anniversary cruise for a few days and I can just laze around on the poolside instead of sweating in the gym 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » clipless pedals & knee pain Rss Feed