General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » new to the game Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-30 6:28 AM

New user

Subject: new to the game
hi,
I have always wanted to compete in tri's and eventually be prepared for an ironman. I am currently in the U.S. ARMY and deployed to Iraq. I have competed in all 3 disciplines at different times in my life. i am currently training to compete in my first sprint tri in july after redeployment. I was hoping I could get some advice on training. I am unable to do any swimming prior to the first week in June. I have swam on swim teams before but that has been a long time. Any training suggestions would be appreciated

scott

2006-01-30 8:08 AM
in reply to: #334548

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Subject: RE: new to the game
Welcome Scott-
Wow deployed to Iraq and training for a triathlons that is awesome. It sounds like you are physically fit and have some past experience. Since you do not have access to swimming till June I would consentrate on the other two dicisiplines and working on your cardio..... If you are a pretty good athlete with some swimming background you can get in a pool a few weeks before and make it through the swim, your time might not be the "best", but you can definately finish.....especially a sprint distance. Also, if you have access to weights you can do some strength training, that will help you in the pool.

Good Luck
2006-01-30 9:14 AM
in reply to: #334548

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Subject: RE: new to the game
Scott, what she said! By working on your bike and run until then, you can make up time you may lose on the swim. Plus, there are some incredible strong swimmers who don't do so well in tris because they failed to work on the other disciplines. Have fun training, and thank you for serving in Iraq so the rest of us can train freely
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » new to the game Rss Feed