General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Its Not Fair" - Mr. Pate is reading my mind Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-08 10:13 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
Subject: "Its Not Fair" - Mr. Pate is reading my mind
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/MichaelPate/Its Not Fair.htm

Here begins my speech:

I have to say this article could not have come at a better time for me. After being sick three weeks ago and then taking off out of town for a long weekend. The next week trying for a job/company transfer and having to work longer hours. The next week my marriage hitting dire straits and then this week my child recycling the bacteria from three weeks ago and getting me sick AGAIN. Life has made me feel like a real Tri-Loser because Training unfortunately as I'm sure most would agree takes a back seat to all of those other things. So while I've still gotten some workouts in I'm not getting the time I had just 3 weeks prior. I've not had the time to analyze and log all my workouts. This mentally has been wearing away my drive and a feeling has settled that the loss of time equals a huge loss in fitness.

I read this article around midnight last night and it really helped me put things in perspective that sometimes life takes over and that doesnt mean its the end of my training goals because this is a "sport for a lifetime". Im not tri-ing to be a professional I just want rid of my computer geek physique. I just want measurable progress and being off the couch is measurable to me. So I woke up at 6:00 am this (Saturday) morning and hit the pavement and it felt good. Still have all those stressors running around in my head I've not figured out how to block them out when I'm on the open road but at least my legs were moving in the right direction. Maybe I dont need to block them out. My grandfather always tells me when he was a runner he would read scripture before he ran to give him something to meditate on. Will have to try it.

Once again Thanks Michael for being such a huge inspiration. You are such an asset to multi-sport. From now on though I hope that inspiration comes after 6am Saturday mornings.

-Sean

Edited by soupaman 2004-05-08 10:16 AM

2004-05-09 3:03 AM
in reply to: #23701

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Subject: RE: "Its Not Fair" - Mr. Pate is reading my mind
I like the juggling analogy: some balls are glass (marriage, kids, etc.), some balls are steel (training, work, etc.) and some are rubber (hobbies, housework, etc.). When you're juggling a whole bunch of balls, you have to make sure you drop the ones that will bounce back. If you drop the steel balls, it hurts, but you can pick them back up where you left off and start again. If you drop the glass balls, the game is over.

Good for you for giving yourself a break from the self-harang, and still getting back out there to do "what you can."
2004-05-09 7:08 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
Hey thats pretty good the juggling.
2004-05-09 4:13 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Thanks for the nice comments on the article!  I usually try to write about things that I have experienced or I am currently dealing with.  Sometimes you don't have the fortune of knowing that what you write has an impact on someone.  Keep up the good work.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Its Not Fair" - Mr. Pate is reading my mind Rss Feed